Supercharger Options?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman

Reaction score
I've been reading up and from what I can tell Magnacharger is the only option for a supercharger on the gen 1 and they're out of business?

Are there any options that I'm missing?

I believe that Sean still sells them if I remember right.

Yeah I figured he'd be the one to talk to. Just wanted to see if there were any other options or custom jobs that I had missed other than Magnachargers since I've read mixed things about them.

Now I know the Jedi in Australia. ...is trying to come up with another option as well. I don't know where it's at?

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Yes on wanting a supercharger. But am too scared to ask Sean how much one would cost. Surely more than what the bikes worth.

Yes on wanting a supercharger. But am too scared to ask Sean how much one would cost. Surely more than what the bikes worth.

It's looking like $4500 for just the magnacharger.... Then there's low comp pistons... Exhaust... Ignitech.... Clutch upgrade... I figure it'd be around $7500-8000 for a higher boost setup but that's just after a quick look. I still don't know what hp/tq to expect from a higher boost setup since it looks like most people go low boost or have a >1300cc engine as well.

Speaking for myself, and I don't mean to rain on your parade,I could never justify the cost. Dollar to HP isn't really there. The cool factor IS certainly there, for sure. The bike still would likely get smoked by a Gen 2, if the motors were stock. First option for me would be a strong stock engine with a nice dose of Happy gas. Stick the extra $3.8k in my pocket.
Steve-o

Speaking for myself, and I don't mean to rain on your parade,I could never justify the cost. Dollar to HP isn't really there. The cool factor IS certainly there, for sure. The bike still would likely get smoked by a Gen 2, if the motors were stock. First option for me would be a strong stock engine with a nice dose of Happy gas. Stick the extra $3.8k in my pocket.
Steve-o

I totally get what you're saying... And the cool factor is most of the reason I'm even considering it.

I've heard different things about whether it would take a gen2 (with low comp Pistons & full exhaust). Again, I can't find any solid figures on the hp/tq of a setup like that but I'd really like to know.

I totally get what you're saying... And the cool factor is most of the reason I'm even considering it.

I've heard different things about whether it would take a gen2 (with low comp Pistons & full exhaust). Again, I can't find any solid figures on the hp/tq of a setup like that but I'd really like to know.
Hp I've seen postings in the 165 range.

Hp I've seen postings in the 165 range.

I've read anywhere from 150-186hp without going with a bigger motor, but again; most posts I've seen don't specify boost or anything, just that they have a magnacharger.

And any idea about the torque I could expect with this 165hp(ish) setup?

Basically, I could justify myself spending the cash if I could outrun a gen 2 (I couldn't care less about handling) and right now it sounds like it would be a close call.

I've read anywhere from 150-186hp without going with a bigger motor, but again; most posts I've seen don't specify boost or anything, just that they have a magnacharger.

And any idea about the torque I could expect with this 165hp(ish) setup?

Basically, I could justify myself spending the cash if I could outrun a gen 2 (I couldn't care less about handling) and right now it sounds like it would be a close call.

With stock pistons you'll be closer to 150 HP.

I've never seen a time slip from a supercharged Gen 1 that I can remember.....that would be better than HP numbers.

A Gen 2 has great brakes, great handling, super easy tuning....and best of all, tremendous reliability. You'll have none of that with a Gen 1 blower bike.

With stock pistons you'll be closer to 150 HP.

I've never seen a time slip from a supercharged Gen 1 that I can remember.....that would be better than HP numbers.

A Gen 2 has great brakes, great handling, super easy tuning....and best of all, tremendous reliability. You'll have none of that with a Gen 1 blower bike.

I know, I know..... but I really like the idea of a supercharger, no matter how inefficient, or costly they may be. I really think I'd have more fun with the gen 1 blower, even if they do cost about the same as a used gen 2.

I had hoped that by upgrading the pistons as well I'd get close to gen 2 performance, I know that just the blower produces kinda sad #'s for the money... like, really sad. As I said its really coming down to what kind of hp/tq i can expect.

How much of a PITA is it to keep a setup like that in tune? I don't need perfection, but I've been reading that these can run lean and cause a lot of $ in damage as a result.

I know, I know..... but I really like the idea of a supercharger, no matter how inefficient, or costly they may be. I really think I'd have more fun with the gen 1 blower, even if they do cost about the same as a used gen 2.

I had hoped that by upgrading the pistons as well I'd get close to gen 2 performance, I know that just the blower produces kinda sad #'s for the money... like, really sad. As I said its really coming down to what kind of hp/tq i can expect.

How much of a PITA is it to keep a setup like that in tune? I don't need perfection, but I've been reading that these can run lean and cause a lot of $ in damage as a result.

Here's one that's in good tune......140 LBS. of TQ not too shabby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z_vOci8neM

Here's one that's in good tune......140 LBS. of TQ not too shabby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z_vOci8neM

That's what I mean... there's plenty of vids and stuff out there but for all I know that's a 1327 or even 1500 motor. If that's just the blower/exhaust/pistons etc and not something else substantial then that's awesome.

I think these may be questions for Sean when he gets back, but if anyone has experience with the magnacharger and can comment on power or reliability/upkeep I'd love to hear it.

$4500 and low boost for 150ish hp. Add pistons and rods (optional) for higher boost levels. Another $2k in parts give or take and closer to 180-200hp at that point. The units are pretty durable actually. It's the engine that will give up first.

I rode a customers 1428cc chaindrive with high boost supercharger and I think very easily it would smoke a gen 2 bike. BUT, the investment he had in that bike was high for sure. Very custom and not just a bike you went out and bought like the others in the crowd.

It's looking like $4500 for just the magnacharger.... Then there's low comp pistons... Exhaust... Ignitech.... Clutch upgrade... I figure it'd be around $7500-8000 for a higher boost setup but that's just after a quick look. I still don't know what hp/tq to expect from a higher boost setup since it looks like most people go low boost or have a >1300cc engine as well.
Correct ...about $8.000 ( without labor ) mine makes with higher boost 184 rwhp

I have no experience owning one, but my friend's shop built one for a customer. He was warned, "in this configuration, it will run well, don't do anything-else to it!" See below.

Build it wrong and end up with a broken engine. My friend built one for a customer, it worked perfectly. Then the owner tried a different pulley, without the input of the builder, and it melted during the next tank of gas.

Here's a pic after the initial build, before the melt-down with the different pulley.

VMax supercharged.01.jpeg

Latest posts

Back