Tire Pressure Monitoring System on Chrysler - Dodge vehicles

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Max2012

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Has anyone have issues with these TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) on their Chrysler or Dodge cars / trucks / minivans?

For 2 weeks, I'm seeing one of my tires going low. I went to check the pressure and noticed the valve stem has broken. Examining it more closely, I see that it's made of thin aluminum that looks like its 20 years old. The Minivan is a 2010 Chrysler T&C. I took it to Pep Boys to see if they can replace it with the "tried and true", brass / rubber valve. The guy explained that its not a simple valve, but a TPMS sensor behind the stem inside the tire. I was expecting something simple, maybe a 20.00 job. This guy quoted me over $150.00 to replace it, and re-balance the tire. I held off any work being done.. I had to investigate this myself.
Doing some Google-ing, I found that this is a common problem, and there are some people that had the little valve pop right out after simply washing it.

This never happened on my good old Chevy Impala, or Lincoln Town Car.
If that valve popped out at highway speeds, that can easily be a loss of life situation.

I've also found out that Chrysler is aware of this but will do nothing about it. Leaving all replacements up to the owner.

I don't have a problem checking my own tower pressure. I don't need something telling me one of my tires are low.. Not at the expense of my life and others, with a device that can be omitted, that's made out of crappy materials.

Has anyone else seen this? if not, you'd better check them all.

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sh...100-repair-to-replace-TPMS-sensor-or-warranty

Yes, my buddy has a almost new Jeep Grand Cherokee and he's had one replaced. Last I knew the light came on again.

within a week, my light will come on, after putting the recommended cold PSI in all 4.

I've had to replace 2 of them on my '08 Infinity. They tell me they either corrode because they are steel against the aluminum rim and begin to leak or about this age (approx 8 yrs) the batteries in them start to fail. They replaced them with rubber ones at Townfair Tire for $60 each and I thought that was high but not anymore after hearing your quoted price.

They replaced them with rubber ones at Townfair Tire for $60 each and I thought that was high but not anymore after hearing your quoted price.

I went to look for the replacement sensors and froun that they sell just the replacement aluminum stems for $6.11

These prices are not too bad, but i really want the old school brass / rubber stems.. No sensor.. I can put a piece of tape, over the dashboard lamp.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...+Google+Base&gclid=CNb7uZ7S1sgCFYM-aQodbWoMjg

something doesn't look right on this site:
this one says it $4.11 for the kit.. The picture has the whole sensor. in the reviews, one person says its only the stem, another person says, its exactly what the picture shows.. Something is not jiving here.
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...+Google+Base&gclid=CIu_tvDS1sgCFZGMaQodV18FiQ

Same site sells a programmable sensor for $36.39
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...+Google+Base&gclid=CKqziYHU1sgCFQiNaQodx2AA-A

Haven't had that issue in the 1500 Ram hemi POS work truck I have.

Happened in the wife's mazda 6. Local shop charged $35 to fix it

My wife's Jeep had the that problem. Would leak down to 24 pounds of air and stay. Light would come on and stay. Went to Les Schwab tire and they replaced the stem (which the sensor screws on to) for $8. No problems since. My son in law had the same problem with his jeep and the local San Diego garage charged him $150 to fix. I guess some mechanics don't know the sensor screws on to the stem. Or maybe they do.....

Went to Les Schwab tire and they replaced the stem (which the sensor screws on to) for $8.

Do you know if they had to remove the tire from the rim when changing out the stem, or did they just deflate the tire, removed that large hex nut from the outside, and put a new one in its place?

Broken Stem - Small.jpg

Latest posts

Back