Looking for a good Vmax mechanic

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Bill

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone in Southern Ontario could suggest a good shop to do some modifications on my 1994 Vmax. The front end is where I will start. The first thing that I want is the Furber Fix washer installed and a new fork brace. I need someone to rebuild the front forks. I have been looking at Python progressive front springs and new rear shocks to drop the bike down 1.5 inches. Next is a new exhaust. I think I am purchasing the Holeshot. The new exhaust means re-jetting the carbs and thats way over my head. You can see I have a bit of work to have done and I would like to have it done by someone VERY Familiar with the Vmax.
Could anyone suggest a good shop in the Hamilton / London area that knows the Vmax well? . I am located about half hour west of Hamilton.

Send me a PM with a phone number, I can do the work you need done for you. Let me know and we can set up something. I live in the Kincardine area so a ways away, but I have been known to travel to work on peoples Max's for them.

I was wondering if anyone in Southern Ontario could suggest a good shop to do some modifications on my 1994 Vmax. The front end is where I will start. The first thing that I want is the Furber Fix washer installed and a new fork brace. I need someone to rebuild the front forks. I have been looking at Python progressive front springs and new rear shocks to drop the bike down 1.5 inches. Next is a new exhaust. I think I am purchasing the Holeshot. The new exhaust means re-jetting the carbs and thats way over my head. You can see I have a bit of work to have done and I would like to have it done by someone VERY Familiar with the Vmax.
Could anyone suggest a good shop in the Hamilton / London area that knows the Vmax well? . I am located about half hour west of Hamilton.
Hmm, did ALMTY move to S. Ontario Jim? :biglaugh:

Hey Mr Bill, you can't go wrong with Jim's offer and a bonus over a shop is that you'll get to learn about your beloved max while your at it.

Mike

He's another member that we know that is also at the modding and learning stage - he lives in Michigan

Mike

dont take this the wrong way, get a clymer book and jump in, youll be surprised how easy it is to work on. if you run in to any questions these guys here will walk you thru it and there are alot of illustrations to look at. i just rebuilt carbs, iwas a little intimidated at first, but once i got going nothing to it, if i would carried it to the shop, probably 8-12 hrs of labor at $80 an hour. my problem was just a clogged jet. i found clymer book on ebay for $26-$30, if i can be of any help email me [email protected]

p.s. im sure its getting cold there so you got plenty of time, it was 70 degrees today in eastern n.c.

Hey,

I'm looking at removing my Morley Muscle Jet Kit and going to a stock configuration. I would appreciate some guidance on how to this without getting T-P'd. Am willing to provide some compensation to any bored gurus who might be in the area!

BTW, anyone want to buy a 1-year old deluxe muscle jet kit?

Thanks,

Blaine Williams
Oshawa, Ontario

That is going to take some work. You have to remove the air correctors, which will damage them beyond usage, epoxy the holes in the slides, redrill to stock size. Other than that you need to re-jet to 152.5 mains and put in stock needles and springs. There is also the matter of replacing the crankcase vent hose because it was cut to accomodate the vent line to the oil fill. All in all it will take some effort to get back to stock and you will not be able to sell the kit as complete without replacing the air correctors.

Can I ask why you want to change it back to stock? Jim has about nailed it, but you might have stock needles, some people don't have drilled slides, so the air correctors may be the only thing that may be of concern. I as well as others here probably have the parts to get you back to stock, but why give up about 10 hp?
Jeff

The air correctors aren't too expensive but with a small easy out they usually remove without too much damage. The slides can be left the same and see how it runs. Usually it will run well enough to leave it. Put the stock springs back in. Get a new lid and y section. Either put a spacer in the vent tube or get a new one and send your modified one with the kit. In fact, if you can find someone to trade you lids, oil fill caps, and vent tube you and they would be in business.

If you leave the header on the bike you will want to go to a much smaller main setup. Even a stock exhaust can benefit from a slightly smaller main jet.

Sean

I'm looking at trading in the bike if I cannot sell it privately. Dealers said it'll be an easier sell if it's put back to stock configuration. I kept all my original VMax parts.

Blaine

I'm looking at trading in the bike if I cannot sell it privately. Dealers said it'll be an easier sell if it's put back to stock configuration. I kept all my original VMax parts.

Blaine

That dealer is an idiot!!!!!! Anyone who picks up a bike with Sean's kit is already leaps and bounds above the stock configuration. In my opinion it would make for an easier sell. Dealer just doesnt know how to spin it.
Oh well, I might be biased a bit :clapping::biglaugh::punk:

You may be right about the dealer. It could very well depend on the target group and I'm guessing he's not considering all possible buyers, not just those who are well-acquainted with the Max. I hope to sell privately and leave the bike as-is and/or with all the stock parts included. If she doesn't sell privately then I'll play trhe dealer's game since he's willing to pay more. And then I can always sell the other stuff on eBay. Blaine

The air correctors aren't too expensive but with a small easy out they usually remove without too much damage. The slides can be left the same and see how it runs. Usually it will run well enough to leave it. Put the stock springs back in. Get a new lid and y section. Either put a spacer in the vent tube or get a new one and send your modified one with the kit. In fact, if you can find someone to trade you lids, oil fill caps, and vent tube you and they would be in business.

If you leave the header on the bike you will want to go to a much smaller main setup. Even a stock exhaust can benefit from a slightly smaller main jet.

Sean

Thanks for the feedback, Sean. Blaine

Blaine

I'd think 99% of the Dealers wouldn't know the difference between a stock VMax set up and one with a Morely kit on it.

You may be right about the dealer. It could very well depend on the target group and I'm guessing he's not considering all possible buyers, not just those who are well-acquainted with the Max. I hope to sell privately and leave the bike as-is and/or with all the stock parts included. If she doesn't sell privately then I'll play trhe dealer's game since he's willing to pay more. And then I can always sell the other stuff on eBay. Blaine

What are you asking for it price wise? Will check around and see if anyone I know is looking.

Re-posted my ad. Only problem is that I posted it before i had a chance to do any editing. I included a comment below the ad with the changes.

Blaine

PS: Sorry to be posting about a sale in this tread.

Latest posts

Back