Batteries

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAXXIMUM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a new battery thinking mine was bad. It turned out not to be the case and I never installed the new one. My question is how long is it's shelf life. I'm obviously trying to decide whether to ship it back and eat the shipping costs both ways or keep it. I just don't want to keep it if it's going to be junk next year.

I have had mine for 3 years. I also bought a trickle charger to plug in when not using bike.. Anything to keep it longer. My last bike 3-4 year, also I put a better starter in. I had a 2 brush and replaced it with a 4 brush.. No issues at all.

Thank you, however I'm not asking about the batteries life on the bike. I'm wondering how long they last on the shelf. I bought a new one and it turns out I don't need it. Can I realistically put it down in the basement for a year and it still be good?

Guess they shipped it to you with the acid out and your poured it into the cells?

I would just return it if in fact you will not need it in the short term. If you do keep it do not store on concrete, preferably on a wooden shelf. As suggested it wouldn't hurt to have it on a battery tender but my battery (PC680 and I'm sure is true of all AGM batteries) will last a long time between charges (6 months is longest I've gone).
What type of battery did you get?

I'm not sure what your asking me. I jumped the gun and ordered a new battery thinking mine was bad. It wasn't so I never took it off my bike. When my new battery gets delivered should I return it or can I keep it until next year? That's what I was trying to ask. I did get my answer. Put it somewhere warm and keep it fully charged and it will be just fine.

The day that acid is added to a battery is the day it begins its deterioration. From that day onward it will begin to get weaker over time. Usually, a battery is rated with enough reserve capacity so that it will live it's intended lifetime, but there is no changing the fact that it begins to die as soon as it's put into use.

I personally would return it and get a new one when you are ready for it. If you do decide to keep it, keeping it on a float charger like a battery Tender will help it to last longer.

I just replaced my 2008 M109R battery a couple of months ago. Seven full years is pretty good in my opinion. I'm sticking with Yuasa from this point onward. I did not have good luck with the popular Motobatt on my wing, and I doubt my Batteries Plus battery in the VMax will last more than 2 or 3 years based on what I've read online.

If you keep the new battery under a small trickle charger or if it doesn't have battery acid in it, it will last. I would watch where you store it as for the temps as well. You might just see if you can send it back without having to pay for a ton of shipping..

^ If it's an AGM and gets stored in the house (room temp and not on concrete) and kept trickled charged it could easily last 7-10 years.
But as sdt stated, if you don't need it sell it to him and get a new one when you actually need it.

Latest posts

Back