Fuel Economy

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAXXIMUM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am at wits end. I'm only getting about 20mpg. The bike seems to be running great except of course for the fact that I'm only getting half of the mpg I should be. The little red light is coming on at approx. 60 miles and it takes about 3 gallons. Any thoughts?

Has your bike been modified in any way ? Carbs, jets, muffler etc ? Mine has all these things and more and I rarely see the north side of 25mpg.

Chris

??? What mods have been done to your bike? I can't think of anything other than a gas leak that would cause this mileage. I have a well modified 89 that runs perfect. It gets 33 miles to a gallon but got worse when there was a gas leak. Check your plugs for proper color and look with a flashlight at the carbs for any sign of a leak while the engine is running.

Note: My 94 is somewhat modified and gets over 40 MPG Average.

Dave

I don't have much in the way of performance mods. Supertrapp exhaust, stock jetting. I will look very closely for a leak although I've never seen anything wet or dripping. The only thing I can think of is possible a stuck float valve causing a carb or two to flood while it's running? I would think it would cause other symptoms besides poor mpg. At idle it does seem to smell a bit like when the choke is on. I will pull the plugs and look at them.

I think stuck float and pilot jets beginning to clog. Take a pic of your plugs and post that,too.

Back