Downpipe Rattle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
A few days ago I noticed an irritating rattle coming from the left forward downpipe. I removed the pipe and discovered (with a rubber mallot) that the inner pipe had become dislodged somehow and was rattling around. I didn't even know there was one pipe inside the another. So like a surgeon, I cut two slots in an inconspicuous place with my grinder. I cut two places about 6 inches long, where I could see the inner pipe. Then I welded both together the best I could. It's fine now, but I was a little zealous with my welding, and believe I "gobbed" some into the exhaust flow area.
I found a replacement on Ebay for $75, so I just ordered it and now just waiting to replace it. I contacted Sean, and he said it was surprising how much obstruction into the exhaust flow is allowed without a measured affect on power. He said there is a video on YouTube on the subject, but I didn't look it up.

I just gave the pipe a good whack with a ball pein hammer to quiet mine down when it broke loose inside. nailed it in an inconspicuous spot, and the little dent I put in the header pinched the inner pipe so it didn't rattle any more. Then I found another pipe and replaced it a few weeks later. This was around 1999, and the "new" pipe never gave me a problem since.

Latest posts

Back