Carb sync procedure for Carbtune

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is posted in several locations on the forum and....here's one more. :biglaugh:

I will refer to the carbs by their factory designation, following is the orientation

front

#2 #4

#1 #3

rear

The first photo is of the right side (sitting on the bike) of carbs #3 & #4 and shows 2 sync screws just above the mounting brace

The second photo is of the left side (sitting on the bike) of carbs #1 & #2 and shows only 1 sync screw which points downward towards the mounting brace

Be sure your bike is warmed up and shut off

Place the Carbtune in an upright position above the gauges where you can see it from both sides of the bike (hang it on a long wire from the ceiling if possible)

Remove the plastic intake manifold covers from both sides

Remove the vacuum advance hose from #2 carb sync spigot and the rubber caps from #1, #3 & #4 carb sync spigots

Attach the Carbtune hoses to sync spigots as follows....1st hose to #1 carb, 2nd hose to #2 carb and so on (makes it easier to keep track of which carb you're adjusting later on)

Start the bike and adjust idle to 1100 rpm

Adjusting the screws:

Screwing them in drops the Carbtune rod, backing them out raises the rod

The screw on the left side adjusts #1 carb only......(#2 carb is the master carb and has no sync screw, it is adjusted at the factory and the other carbs are sync'd to it)

The 2 screws on the right side work as follows:
-the rear screw adjusts #3 carb only
-the front screw adjusts #3 & #4 simultaneously

Procedure:

Start on the left side by adjusting #1 carb to #2 carb
Move to the right side and adjust #3 carb to #4 carb (using the rear screw)
Adjust #3 & #4 carbs to #1 & #2 (using the front screw)

Blip the throttle after each change

The above process will involve moving from one side to the other as changes to one carb can minutely affect other carbs

That's all there is to it....it probly sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo but becomes easy with a little practice.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 289
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 249
Thanks Dan-o. It's important to a good performing Vmax. For those setting their A/F screws by the ear method, this must be done right first for good response from the A/F screws.

Perfect write-up. To anyone who may hesitate, this is a super simple task to complete DIY (so easy, I can do it)!

Sweet discription dannymax....
Only thing I would add is
Make sure to remove the screwdriver from the screw to view sync as it does chg just the pressure applied to the screw....
I might have missed that in your discriptions ....just started my coffee

Absolutely right Rov.....they are very, VERY sensitive screws....miniscule adjustments only! :punk:

I might have learned that one over a piece of pie and ice cream down in ny state somewhere ...:punk:

Thanks Dan-o. It's important to a good performing Vmax. For those setting their A/F screws by the ear method, this must be done right first for good response from the A/F screws.
Hey, dude. You've helped me out a lot in the past and I appreciate it it. Next step is the synchronisation of the carbs. I got a good deal from this post, although my base carb is basically reading zero unless I blip the throttle. I shot some carb cleaner on the boots and carb thinking there may be some sort of leak. No changes. Any recommendations?

i recently cleaned my carbs and it was idling weird. So i ordered me up a morgan carbtune and just finished syncing them and whatdyaknow it cleared up the idling issues, it now idles good and returns to 1300rpm when i drop the throttle. Order your morgan carbutune directly from carbtune.com, the shipping took 2 weeks and it was about 100 bucks. Excellent little tool.

i recently cleaned my carbs and it was idling weird. So i ordered me up a morgan carbtune and just finished syncing them and whatdyaknow it cleared up the idling issues, it now idles good and returns to 1300rpm when i drop the throttle. Order your morgan carbutune directly from carbtune.com, the shipping took 2 weeks and it was about 100 bucks. Excellent little tool.

Idle speed should be 1100 RPM

Before and after...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201116-171228_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201116-171228_Gallery.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20201116-171223_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201116-171223_Gallery.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts

Back