What is a motorcycle?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All Motorcycles have to have two wheels?

• Total voters

gleno

Reaction score
What makes a motorcycle a motorcycle?

OK members listen up, this should be fun.

Following an opinion given by Quarterhorse in this thread http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=2848 I decided to open this to general discussion among the membership.

So exactly what is a motorcycle?

Is there a definitive description? OR is a motorcycle something with a wider interpretive definition?

Does form define a motorcycle? or is it the sum of it's parts.

Does its function define it as a motorcycle or just its form?

Lets open with this definition from the dictionary :

1. a motor vehicle similar to a bicycle but usually larger and heavier, chiefly for one rider but sometimes having two saddles or an attached sidecar for passengers.

2. n. A two-wheeled motor vehicle resembling a heavy bicycle, sometimes having two saddles and a sidecar with a third wheel.

3. noun A motor vehicle with two wheels and a strong frame.

Now its your turn.

What is the ultimate definition of a motorcycle?

Oh, by the way, if you thought a motorcycle must have two wheels, think again, Two wheels were a later development. Early motorcycles had four wheels. Here is a picture of the Replica of the First Motorcycle by Daimler. Note the outrigger wheels.

The first petroleum-powered vehicle, it was essentially a motorised bicycle, although the inventors called their invention the Reitwagen ("riding car").

Attachments

• 618px-Daimler-1-motorcycle-1.jpg
    618px-Daimler-1-motorcycle-1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
LOL it's got the same seat as the Vmax...:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

My description of a M/C is anything that rides on 2 wheels while moving at speed... :confused2:

To me a motorcycle is nothing more then a bicycle with an engine. Some fancy, some sporty, some plain and simple.

It's the expirences riding them that makes them special.

I go with the two wheels and an engine theory......

But a totally enclosed cabin seems to be pushing the boundaries.....Bonneville Salt Flats timing assc. goes with the two wheels and engine theory.....

Rusty

To me it's not a M/C unless you can get a speeding ticket on it:biglaugh:

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm making a list of common themes so that I can set up a series of member polls on this thread.

Members will decide what does and doesn't constitute a definition of a motorcycle.

Majority rule will create a majority agrees view of "What is a motorcycle".

Be warned.

I intend to be the devils advocate.

So come on members. We need more of your definitions to structure the polls.

Now this,Is a motorcycle!

Attachments

• wMax.jpg
    wMax.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 45
  • la + bella [foto chopper] - Forum Custom e Chopper.jpg
    la + bella [foto chopper] - Forum Custom e Chopper.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 41

Shawn...is that fer real? Or just a concept... If it is, please supply a link or more info as to who built it, and any other info... I've seen more then a few V-8 powered 'bikes' lately...Boss Hogg or some crap... but that thing, if it's real, looks like a helova ride!

On topic:... My first ever was a Cushman Eagle...'55 model...bought (used) in '57 for a paltry sum of 165 bux... pristene condition... Most wouldn't consider it a 'motorcycle', But at 13 years of age, I sure as hell did! Straight pipe, 2 speed shift on the tank...foot clutch...it was COOL!!!

Rode that puppy to jr. high (what they now call 'middle school') every day, when my buds were all still on the bus or riding pedal powered.

Got my first pair of engr 'biker boots', with the buckles on the sides, AND a black leather jacket with a dozen or so zippers, and a rabbit's foot... I was one happy kid!!

I actually looked into the idea of getting one similar a couple years ago, just for nostalgia purposes, and was shocked to find that my Eagle, if you can find one at all today, in the same condition, would go for a lot more than I paid for my recently bought low mileage V Max... gave that idea up pretty quick... I think they originally sold new for around $600... Them wuz the days!

My next 'real' bike a couple years later was a HD K Model...the forerunner of the Sporty...that one was pretty 'real'...

Philthy

Is this bike for real or is it photoshoped?

Just wondering because its got two motors and standard suspension!!

....and it would appear that the definition of a motorcycle must include an engine - of ANY size.

I've added the first pole to this thread and started with any easy topic.

After all, everybody knows that a motorcycle has TWO wheels right? or does it?

Attachments

• 070205INTRORALF.jpg
    070205INTRORALF.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 9
  • gilera fuoco.jpg
    gilera fuoco.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 12
  • dodge tomahawk3.jpg
    dodge tomahawk3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 7
  • tesseract.jpg
    tesseract.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 9
Bill Bushling at Magnacharger mentioned to me in an Email that he was working on some sort of Twin Engined Vmax......

Wonder what the deal is with this one?

Rusty

Looks like someone took two V-Max engines and made a V-8. That is BAD-ASS!!!!:surprise:

BTW, I think a Motorcycle must have two wheels and an engine, and it must be open to the elements.

Mike

that twin engine vmax was made b4 photoshop was invented,I think any frame with an engine and 2 wheels is a motorcycle though from the amount of people riding around on only one wheel I am starting to have doubts about the validity of that statement:eusa_dance:

15 miles to the gallon..... I couldn't get very far.

Oh and Sean.... can I get those venure motors back...??

30 miles to the gallon with one engine... 15 miles to the gallon with two engines... and since I had 2 1300cc engines in my garage at one time.... would have been a pretty sweet project... but I'm sure it would have been one of those 10 year long projects.

And I suppose a bike has to have a frame?

May be not.

What about an active frame?

or a .....?

Attachments

• renovatio.jpg
    renovatio.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 7
  • yamahas adjustable.jpg
    yamahas adjustable.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Kettenkrad.gif
    Kettenkrad.gif
    163.7 KB · Views: 5
mo?tor?cy?cle
thinsp.png
Audio Help/ˈmoʊ
thinsp.png
tərˌsaɪ
thinsp.png
kəl
/
Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[moh-ter-sahy-kuh
thinsp.png
l
]
Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciationnoun, verb, -cled, -cling.
–noun 1.a motor vehicle similar to a bicycle but usually larger and heavier, chiefly for one rider but sometimes having two saddles or an attached sidecar for passengers.

Now, although it doesn't go into specifics, my take is that a "CYCLE" is any vehicle consisting of one, two or three wheels. (i.e. a unicycle, bicycle or tricycle)

Once you add that fourth wheel, you totally change the classification to something else. Either a car, SUV, truck, ATV or something of that nature.

My two cents.
Tom

p.s. Now this,Is a motorcycle!

No....THAT is loss of license, a $5,000.00 fine and 3 to 5 with good behavior.

Back