The one bike or bikes you wish you could have.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Yamaha Big Bear Scrambler in 305cc is the only one I missed out on. I was looking for one in mint condition when I came across my first Vmax. Since they were about the same price range, the rest is history.:sad2:

Attachments

• 640px-1965-Yamaha-YDS3C-Red-5970-2.jpg
    640px-1965-Yamaha-YDS3C-Red-5970-2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 640px-1965-Yamaha-YDS3C-Red-5970-3.jpg
    640px-1965-Yamaha-YDS3C-Red-5970-3.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 19
Vmax' 30th Anniversary is what I'm aiming for.. I'll have to wait a couple years after it's released to afford it, but thatyll more than likely be my next ride...

-Lee
VMOA 5652

This Yamaha Big Bear Scrambler in 305cc is the only one I missed out on. I was looking for one in mint condition when I came across my first Vmax. Since they were about the same price range, the rest is history.:sad2:
There are some many awesome bikes! I'd add the Big Bear to my want list too!
If only I had more time and money...:punk:

super tenere. my father in law has a water buffalo in the back of his garage that hasnt moved in years. guess itll be my project one day.

In 1979 My first licenced street bike was a 66 Yamaha 305, I was told it was a big bear but was not sure, the pipes and mufflers ran low in street bike fashion, spunky 2 stroke twin provided enough for this 18 year old to get around on, only had it a year or so, sold it and bought a 72 Honda CB350 twin...............Tom.

Yamaha tz750

Along the same lines but prob more likely to be obtainable and definately less cost prohibitive..........:biglaugh:

an '84-'85 yellow/black Kenny Robert's Special RZ350...............

Been drooling for one of these for years now...........

Along the same lines but prob more likely to be obtainable and definately less cost prohibitive..........:biglaugh:

+1 Mike, I have always liked Kenny Roberts and the bikes he raced/ inspired. I liked the yellow paint with black/ white stripes of the RZ350 and the, according to KR, unrideable TZ750. The TZ750 won the first race he rode it in but it was banned to race after 3 races. Kenny even stated "They don't pay me enough to ride that thing" , Motorcyclist story here.

The 81 and 82 CBX were not as popular as the 79 and 80. Must have something to do with the "sport touring" set-up. I had a black 80 and prefer it to the 79 even though the 79 is slightly more collectible. A few updates were made that enhanced the bike.

I would love to have the bike I rode during high school and after (1960-1963). It was a 1959 Zundapp 250cc Super Sabre, single cylinder 2-stroke. A great bike that never gave me any problems except a broken throttle cable and one flat tire. It was a beautiful blue with gold pinstriping. Lots of neat features. Flip up seat with storage underneath, enclosed chain with two opening panels that allowed checking chain adjustment easily, A cup under the gas cap that made measurement of the gas/oil ratio easy, lots of nice chrome, etc. I had a gas station near my house that kept my oil for me. I would pull up, go inside and get my oil, fill up and add the needed oil and return the oil to under the counter. The pic is not of mine as I never got one. The color is not as nice as actual but is the only pic I could find. Mine did not have turnsignals. No one did at that time.

Attachments

• Zundapp - R2b.jpg
    Zundapp - R2b.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 16

I had an '85 when I was a teen...fun bikes!! First bike I ever pulled to redline in 6th gear. :biglaugh:

The 81 and 82 CBX were not as popular as the 79 and 80. Must have something to do with the "sport touring" set-up. I had a black 80 and prefer it to the 79 even though the 79 is slightly more collectible. A few updates were made that enhanced the bike.

I would love to have the bike I rode during high school and after (1960-1963). It was a 1959 Zundapp 250cc Super Sabre, single cylinder 2-stroke. A great bike that never gave me any problems except a broken throttle cable and one flat tire. It was a beautiful blue with gold pinstriping. Lots of neat features. Flip up seat with storage underneath, enclosed chain with two opening panels that allowed checking chain adjustment easily, A cup under the gas cap that made measurement of the gas/oil ratio easy, lots of nice chrome, etc. I had a gas station near my house that kept my oil for me. I would pull up, go inside and get my oil, fill up and add the needed oil and return the oil to under the counter. The pic is not of mine as I never got one. The color is not as nice as actual but is the only pic I could find. Mine did not have turnsignals. No one did at that time.

Picture kinda looks like it has a chainsaw blade on the back of it LOL. Awesome bike.

Todd

Picture kinda looks like it has a chainsaw blade on the back of it LOL. Awesome bike.

Todd

The funny thing is, in 1957, 58 and I believe 59 also, the Zundapp 250 Super Sabre was the best selling bike in the US. I remember walking to a local Albuquerque dealer in 1958 and seeing about 10 or 15 of them lined up in a row, several different colors. It was a great bike and extremely popular. I even got a ticket leaving the high school because a guy in front of me on the same bike, color and all, ran a stop sign. I saw it happen. A block or so down the road the cop stopped me and of course didn't believe my story even though it was true!!!

The first Japanese maker to import into the US was Yamaha in 1958 but California only at first. My first Japanese bike was a new 1966 Yamaha 250cc Big Bear Scrambler. The fit and finish was better that any of the other Jap bikes at the time. I guess Yamaha's experience in musical instruments made them a little more conscious of esthetic's.

I had one of these Seca 650 Turbo's a kick in the pants, but even new it leaked oil.

If i had $500 more back than i would have got the turbo bike and not the red maxim 650

• main_arrow.gif

Latest posts

Back