Max had a bumpy ride yesterday.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfeagins

Reaction score
I've had Max parked in the toy hauler out in my driveway lately due to shortage of storage space in the garage. Thank heavens I had the straps pulled reasonably tight. I don't know why, since it is in there only for storage, but I did.

We had a F3 or F4 tornado come through our county here in Missouri at around 6pm yesterday and it flipped the RV over in the yard. After we pried the back door open, there was Max still strapped to what was now the left wall of the RV. A neighbor came and helped unstrap Max and lift it out.

Miraculously, only a couple deep scratches to the back fender, scratches to the right side engine cover, and a small dent in the right side muffler is all the damage done. The 4-wheeler tore Max's license plate half off as it was tossed about also, as it wasn't strapped.

I wish I had a digital camera to post pics of max hanging there like that.

I think I heard on the news that 8 or 9 people were killed by this tornado as it crossed the county. Fortunately, no one was injured in our neighborhood.

I've had Max parked in the toy hauler out in my driveway lately due to shortage of storage space in the garage. Thank heavens I had the straps pulled reasonably tight. I don't know why, since it is in there only for storage, but I did.

We had a F3 or F4 tornado come through our county here in Missouri at around 6pm yesterday and it flipped the RV over in the yard. After we pried the back door open, there was Max still strapped to what was now the left wall of the RV. A neighbor came and helped unstrap Max and lift it out.

Miraculously, only a couple deep scratches to the back fender, scratches to the right side engine cover, and a small dent in the right side muffler is all the damage done. The 4-wheeler tore Max's license plate half off as it was tossed about also, as it wasn't strapped.

I think I heard on the news that 8 or 9 people were killed by this tornado as it crossed the county. Fortunately, no one was injured in our neighborhood.

WOW! :surprise:I don't know if anyone can top that story! Glad you and your VMax came through the tornado OK. That would be an interesting picture to see.

PHEEEW thank god that max is alright!! oh and the humans too :biglaugh:

seriously tho glad you made out

That tornado was not very kind, was it. Glad you and yours are OK. Unlike those who didnt make it. My thoughts and prayers go out to them.

So where are you located in SW, MO? I'm in Joplin. Always looking for another maxer to ride with.

Sorry to hear about the bad weather. I'm glad to hear you guys made it through o.k. Something you will be able to remember forever, even without any pictures.

agreed. One of the most publicized and watched tornado's on tv is the andover tornado here in Kansas. I sat on my back porch and watched the whole path as it went about 5 miles or so from us. Once the coast was clear went looking for friends. Thankfully all of mine made it OK. Many more weren't.

Glad to hear you made it ok yourself.

Sean

Glad your OK and the bikes mostly OK...

I'd love to have seen a picture of the max hanging on the wall like that....

Gives me an idea for some sort of wierd art-deco art display in the living room..Don't think the old lady would go for it tho'''

The image of your bike on a wall, sorta gives me that "Hard Rock Cafe'" vibe.

Glad you and yours made it alright. The bike can be replaced, you or your family can't.

So where are you located in SW, MO? I'm in Joplin. Always looking for another maxer to ride with.

We are located about half way between Neosho and Granby.

We haven't taken the Max out hardly at all this past several months because the wife and I bought matching Honda Runes. The Rune has a little more leg room for my six foot frame. I think I've slowed down dramatically over the years and unfortunately I have been thinking about parting with Max here lately. Garage space is at a premium and that is why Max was relegated to being tied down in the RV - kinda out of the way between camping trips.

Do you happen to know anyone in the Joplin area interested in upgrading to a one-owner, slightly dinged up 1985 red Max? I know I'd cry if someone really took me up on the offer to sell it. I can't remember life before Max. 23 years is a long time. I'm not sure I could live without that burst of speed once in a while.

I remember the Andover tornado too. I have relatives in the Wichita area and if you know what to look for, you can still see many signs of that tornado's path along highway 54/400.

I also remember well the destruction of the Heston KS tornado a couple years before Andover. Kinda scary what a little twisting wind can do to a whole town in a very short period of time.

We are located about half way between Neosho and Granby.

We haven't taken the Max out hardly at all this past several months because the wife and I bought matching Honda Runes. The Rune has a little more leg room for my six foot frame. I think I've slowed down dramatically over the years and unfortunately I have been thinking about parting with Max here lately. Garage space is at a premium and that is why Max was relegated to being tied down in the RV - kinda out of the way between camping trips.

Do you happen to know anyone in the Joplin area interested in upgrading to a one-owner, slightly dinged up 1985 red Max? I know I'd cry if someone really took me up on the offer to sell it. I can't remember life before Max. 23 years is a long time. I'm not sure I could live without that burst of speed once in a while.

I remember the Andover tornado too. I have relatives in the Wichita area and if you know what to look for, you can still see many signs of that tornado's path along highway 54/400.

I also remember well the destruction of the Heston KS tornado a couple years before Andover. Kinda scary what a little twisting wind can do to a whole town in a very short period of time.

After that tornado and seeing the damage I'm just glad many more were not killed. Between that and the ice storms we sure have seen are fair share of destruction in the 4 states.:damn angry:

You have 2 Runes. Wow! They were one very unique machine Honda made. You might wanna think about one being a future money maker if you keep it in pristine shape for the next 20 years.

Try listing your Vmax in the Big Nickel. By far your best bet if you wanna sell it quick. I'll ask some other possible friends I know if they may be interested though. So how much are you asking for it and what the details:ummm:

Try listing your Vmax in the Big Nickel. By far your best bet if you wanna sell it quick. I'll ask some other possible friends I know if they may be interested though. So how much are you asking for it and what the details:ummm:

I bought this 1985 Max new leftover still in a crate back in Oct 1987 after a 15yr old female driver turned left in front of my 1st '85 red Max in March of that year. Her insurance company dragged its feet all summer in paying me for the wreckage so I could get this one while 85's were still available.

It has about 24 or25k miles and up until now only had a minor scuff on the left tail pipe. After it was assaulted in the RV, it now has a minor ding in the right muffler can as well. It also sustained a couple deep scratches in the back fender right up next to the right grab bar. These scratches are about 3 inches long. It also took a 1/4" ding to the right side scoop. I think that one will cover nicely with the right touchup paint - if I find the time to look around for the right color. One of the right side engine covers also got minor scratches that will cover easily with gloss black touchup paint.

I've put plugs, wires and caps on it within the past year and a half. Put over 700 miles on it just last summer up at the Sturgis area. It still seems to have a tiny oil leak on the left side around the shifter area even though I put new gaskets and seals down their last fall. Don't know what to think about that. I put a new back tire on just before Sturgis. I change brake/clutch fluids annually.

Other than that, it needs a good bath right now. I have always preferred low pressure washing to the higher car washes to help preserve engine coloring and minimize water intrusion into any electrical switches and/or connectors. It seldom gets left in the sun all day so the skins are still crisp and sharp in color.

I would have been asking around $3200 - $3500, but now am unsure. I need time to clean it, and re-evaluate its overall appearance with the new additional scratching.

Let me know if you have anyone who would maybe make an offer.

Thanks.

As for the Rune...... I don't think you can own one and NOT ride it. They're kinda like Cadillacs. Maybe not as quick as the Corvette, but a whole lot smoother.

:eusa_dance:

Thanks for the info. I will keep an open ear and eye for a possible buyer for you. Regardless, Good luck and be safe.

Back