Pops and backfires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushwacker

Reaction score
2001 Vmax:

Bike started backfiring and popping while going down the road, mostly on the freeway at higher speeds like 55 and above. Does it mostly when at cruise "holding throttle still" and off throttle a little bit. Doesn't do it at all when giving it throttle. It's just real bad when you hold the throttle still and maintaining speed. Now I did just notice if I hold it at around 80 mph or so it wouldn't do it all.

Anyway I changed the pugs and that didn't do anything for it. So I thought I would make a quick stop here and see if you guy's had any idea's of where to start before I go crazy trying to figure it out. :ummm:

Thanks much.

Taking a guess: your a little lean? Someone else would have to verify. Or maby time for a shotgun?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Hey Brad, funny you said she's probably running lean. I thought it would be a little fat if anything because I swapped out the stock mufflers to some Delkevic 8" Mini Carbon Fiber Round Mufflers. BTW it sounds badass with those on there now. Anyway if you look at the pics I took of the plugs, to me it looks like it is running lean.

Go to this LINK to view pics please.

Hey Brad, funny you said she's probably running lean. I thought it would be a little fat if anything because I swapped out the stock mufflers to some Delkevic 8" Mini Carbon Fiber Round Mufflers. BTW it sounds badass with those on there now. Anyway if you look at the pics I took of the plugs, to me it looks like it is running lean.

Go to this LINK to view pics please.
Just a guess, figured likely lean if popping at higher speed and rpm but not at idle. I had a 50/50 chance either way lol.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Did you install the mufflers recently and then notice the popping right afterwards?

If so, two things I would check.

1. Do you have exhaust leaks anywhere. If so, that will induce popping
2. Try to shim the needle just a touch.

If the mufflers have been on awhile and it ran fine, then starting popping, I'd stick to the idea of the shotgun.

Latest posts

Back