How to change main jets

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MAke sure you unplug the fuel pump also.
If you're like me you'll think "I won't turn that on while I'm doing this",

Then Mark "helpfully" suggests you check the vboost operation and BAM gas all over.
:biglaugh:

LoL, been there done that!

Tom, 3rd picture down shows to unplug fuel pump. :biglaugh:

I'm actually doing this as we speak - I can't find the fuel pump disconnect . all I have is a connector with a black and white wire going into a white connector.

I don't see a visible solid black wire/connector... Any ideas?

Also: When I loosen the float valve drain screw fuel comes out. (Unless I had the perfect size funnel, how would I catch this gas? - nothing came out of the rubber tubes that I thought it would (even hooked up a Mighty Vac to suck out the fuel but just created the vaccuum but no fuel...

The fuel pump connector is on the right side of the bike when sitting on it, can't remember the color.

When you get the carbs off make sure the drain lines are hooked up and the lines aren't clogged.

If your really careful you can change the main jets without removing the carbs. I have done it.

That's a great idea. If there is any way for someone to do the other stickies like this it would be awesome. This is a great resource for someone who has never been into the carbs. :clapping:

Does anyone know how to replace the A/F screws? I have 2 of them stuck in the carb bodys and cant get them to turn. I have stripped out the slot.

Just did carb overhaul for a clients bike last weekend. #1 carb a/f mixture needle is stuck so I changed to a smaller main jet to lean the a/f mix. Worked out okay. (For main jets, I buy them off auto supply stores, they come in sizes from 70 to 200 and cost .50US each.) Main jets on most Japanese bikes have the same thread as main jets for old Toyota carbs.
The float bowl gaskets oozed of gasoline. Ditched those. I used 1 meter of 2.5mm O ring cord and Superglue and made my own O ring gaskets. Very inexpensive fix. No more leaks. Changed all Philiip screws to stainless Allen screws to make reassembling (and disassembling next time) a lot easier. Makes the carb looks good too.
After synchronizing, I adjusted the carbs a/f mixture by sticking a 3 foot length garden hose at the open end of the carb to make sure that the carbs all sound the same, more of a hissing sound than a knocking sound. Knocking sound means rich a/f mixture.
As a final test, I placed a half full glass of brandy on the seat and revved the engine. Since the carbs are tuned properly, the brandy hardly rippled. Then I drank the brandy for a job well done. BTW the client supplied the brandy.

OK, I give up - lol. I've looked around on here and can't find the size of the carb float and diaphragm cover screws.

Sean

OK, I give up - lol. I've looked around on here and can't find the size of the carb float and diaphragm cover screws.

Sean

16 each of 5x12mm x.8 thread pitch, allen head screws-float covers.
16 each of 5x14mm x.8 thread pitch , allen head screws-slide covers.
16 each of 6x10mm x1 thread pitch , allen head srews-carb brackets

OK, I am going to be stocking a carb bolt rebuild kit soon. It will have at a minimum:

16 5x16mm smooth allen bolts in chrome finish.
16 5x12mm float bowl cover screws
16 6x10mm bracket screws
12 4x12?? choke cover screws

Others? I think there are 8 screws that are probably 5x10mm (a guess) that hold the smaller brackets on top and bottom on.

I do plan on having just the outer screws in chrome and maybe the rest stainless.

Is this something some would be interested in?

I do already have engine cover kits and am finishing up a engine mounting kit.
Sean Morley

I would have purchased it back when I got my carb kit from you but too late now cause I bought all stainless since then.

It would be cool if you could include the 4 screws for the manifold covers too. Allen head, in chrome, same size head as stock.

i'd buy one from you right now to have PCW put on when they were done w/my carbs! what u thinking for price sean?

Looking at $20 for the bolts for the covers and not sure on the complete kit yet. Will hopefully know more tomorrow. Not sure about the bolts for the chrome covers since they are speciality bolts.

Sean

mine are plain stock. i was actually thinking about putting a kit together, but for that price i'd definitely be interested, want me to touch base with you late this week/early next about shipping it out w/my order?

A lot of your stuff is going out tomorrow (not as soon as we hoped). Shoot me an email so I can let you know what I find out.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back