Test riding the FZ1 at the dealer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

Reaction score
I took the FZ1 for a test ride at the dealer , did not like it at all,the max feels much stronger and comfortable though the dealer thinks it is much better than the max I don't think so,sitting on the bike it just feels hollow in front with too much empty space between the nose and steering.
now I can say it is off my list for sure. I am tempted to go try the BMW K1200R, I think I'll go today , I feel I will love that bike though it is not as skinny as the max in street riding but it has all what we want in a new max at a price of $14400. I seriously don't think yamaha will produce a max with all the BMW features for that price. what a fantastic bike that BMW is.
Feast your eyes on that thing.
________
Ford Modular engine picture

Attachments

• bmw (768 x 576).jpg
    bmw (768 x 576).jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I'm glad you had the chance to test ride the FZ1 and form an opinion before having had to shell out and discover it doesn't do anything for you. The last FZ1 I drove was an '01 (I think) and while it was a great handler and performer, it wasn't for me. I do like the look of the Beemer as well, although I probably wouldn't have one. I look forward to hearing if you got the chance to test ride it. Someday I will have an R60/5 to make a project out of (Like the one below that just finished on eBay). I'm always dreaming of that project. One of my buddies has an R75/5 and is tempted to sell it to me. We'll see.

24l3eit.jpg

Last edited:
Thats cool finding a Yamaha dealer that will give test rides. Was it an '06? It is very rare to have a dealer of the "big 4" give test rides of new bikes in Georgia. BMW and Triumph will do so, but not the Japanese brands.

It's good that you were able to eliminate the FZ1 with a ride. Buying a bike unridden, only to find out that you don't enjoy it, would be an expensive mistake. Styling and ergonomics are both very subjective. It sounds like the FZ wasn't in the cards for you. Go try that Beemer. Maybe it'll be what you want.

I'm obviously completely different than you on my attitude about the FZ1. I love it. Objectively, it does every aspect of performance better than my Max. That said, I would prob sell the FZ before the Max if I had to get rid of one of them. My style of riding is evolving. The Max is just too cool!!! Don't plan on selling the FZ tho. It is my sport-tourer. Quite comfy to me.

To be honest I just took it around the block, but this is the kind of riding I mostly do, surface streets in tight traffic, It was the dealer I bought the max from and knowing my history ( no accidents ) made him feel he can trust me with it.
the riding position made me put a lot of weight on my arms and shoulders which I am not use to. the low end torque is much less than the max , the dealer told me it is geared taller than the max.
The dealer for some reason does't like the vmax, he wanted to sell me the FJR at the time I puchased my max in 03.
________
Mercedes-Benz M156 engine history

Last edited:
firefly said:
I took the FZ1 for a test ride at the dealer , did not like it at all,the max feels much stronger and comfortable though the dealer thinks it is much better than the max I don't think so,sitting on the bike it just feels hollow in front with too much empty space between the nose and steering.
now I can say it is off my list for sure. I am tempted to go try the BMW K1200R, I think I'll go today , I feel I will love that bike though it is not as skinny as the max in street riding but it has all what we want in a new max at a price of $14400. I seriously don't think yamaha will produce a max with all the BMW features for that price. what a fantastic bike that BMW is.
Feast your eyes on that thing.

I'm with you 100% on this one! BMW dealers of Northern Ca. sent me a DVD a couple of weeks ago of their new motorcycle lineup. That bike looks good at any angle! Can't and won't give up the Max, but that would make a great second bike.

BLKMAX said:
I'm with you 100% on this one! BMW dealers of Northern Ca. sent me a DVD a couple of weeks ago of their new motorcycle lineup. That bike looks good at any angle! Can't and won't give up the Max, but that would make a great second bike.

No other bike is like or similar to max, after modifying it to my liking I find no reason to change it, may be add another, I sure like the looks and the technology in that BMW and the price is hard to beat, can Yamaha put all these refinements into a new max for that price?
the front suspension of that BMW is worth every penny not to mention fuel injection, single sided swing arm and a final gear from heaven.
but with Linked ABS the price goes up to $16000 and you get no discounts since the brand speaks for itself, did I mention that it is really fast especially at take off.:rocket bike:
________
Toyota SV-1 history

Last edited:
yeah, but the FZ will start to pull at higher revs. Thats where its power is

KRL0215 said:
yeah, but the FZ will start to pull at higher revs. Thats where its power is

That is exactly were I don't want it, at least the way I ride needs all the torque and pulling at the low end.
the funny thing is that I was at a honda dealer when I saw the max, the sales man had his parked, I left and went straight to yamaha next door:)))

It all depends on what kind of riding a person does, we all love riding yet we are very different in our riding style and needs.
________
AMC Concord

Last edited:
Well I bought a 2006 FZ1 and I Love it. It IS NOT a Vmax and that is why I love it. I have both and ride both. They are different. If I only liked the max there would be no excitement in riding other bikes. I like the differences and will be riding both bikes as much as work allows!

outlaws justice said:
Well I bought a 2006 FZ1 and I Love it. It IS NOT a Vmax and that is why I love it. I have both and ride both. They are different. If I only liked the max there would be no excitement in riding other bikes. I like the differences and will be riding both bikes as much as work allows!

When you have more than one bike it is a different story,max is my only one:(
________
Kinetic Honda history

Last edited:
firefly said:
That is exactly were I don't want it, at least the way I ride needs all the torque and pulling at the low end.

The FZ is rated by motorcylist mag as being over .3 of a sec faster in top gear roll-ons from 60-80 than the Max. That is 6th gear vs 5th. The FZ is only turning 4k rpm at 60 mph, so that isnt "way up" in the powerband.

I would really like to try a "street start" between the two bikes. Say from 5 or 10 MPH up to 70 or 80. I'd be interested to see the difference. Maybe I can talk my good riding buddy into trying it out. I'd let him ride the FZ first, then swap off. :a014: May as well try the listed 60-80 run as well. I'll post the results if I can get the time to do it.

firefly said:
the funny thing is that I was at a honda dealer when I saw the max, the sales man had his parked, I left and went straight to yamaha next door:)))

It all depends on what kind of riding a person does, we all love riding yet we are very different in our riding style and needs.

yeah my comment wasnt really in response to your overall opinion on the FZ, it was aimed at the 0-60 comment someone made.

I see your point though, but you arent going to find many sportbikes that have low end torque, they simply arent made for that

-Lee- said:
There are 2 versions of the FZ1 as of 2006 here in Germany. The traditional one and a naked version.

The FZ1 Naked is very nice. I like it more than the one with the fairing.

Here is a link to see some pictureshttp://www.yamaha-motor.de/products/motorcycles/street/fz1.jsp?view=gallery

It is in German but you don't need to read to look at the pictures.
Thanks for the link Lee. Also found this bit of information while I was on the site. They had Bike of The Year Awards from the readers in various categories:

Sportbike = YZF-R1SP came in first place.

Tourer/Sport Tourer = FJR 1300A also came in first place.

Naked Bikes = FZ1 came in #2

For those interested.

-Lee- said:
There are 2 versions of the FZ1 as of 2006 here in Germany. The traditional one and a naked version.

The FZ1 Naked is very nice. I like it more than the one with the fairing.

Here is a link to see some pictureshttp://www.yamaha-motor.de/products/motorcycles/street/fz1.jsp?view=gallery

It is in German but you don't need to read to look at the pictures.

That I can live with!, can we fit these headlights on the max?? I think they would look nice, Hey Lee can you get the price of this head light? I think I can make them fit the max with some creativity.
Thanks.

I like the naked version a lot, the fairing felt weired to me with the nose being fixed and not following the steering, my balls got squished against the gas tank and a semi upright position caused me to dislike it and want to return as soon as possible to ride my max.
But the dealer praises it a lot since it has all the refinements in suspension,R1 engine, variable exhaust, it shifts much smoother than max.
Why don't they bring the naked version in the US?
________
weed vaporizers

Last edited:
firefly said:
That I can live with!, can we fit these headlights on the max?? I think they would look nice, Hey Lee can you get the price of this head light? I think I can make them fit the max with some creativity.
Thanks.

I like the naked version a lot, the fairing felt weired to me with the nose being fixed and not following the steering, my balls got squished against the gas tank and a semi upright position caused me to dislike it and want to return as soon as possible to ride my max.
But the dealer praises it a lot since it has all the refinements in suspension,R1 engine, variable exhaust, it shifts much smoother than max.
Why don't they bring the naked version in the US?

I can look into finding out the price. I am sure that it will not be cheap. It might be easier to find the part numbers and see if it can be ordered in the US. Stay tuned.

-Lee- said:
I can look into finding out the price. I am sure that it will not be cheap. It might be easier to find the part numbers and see if it can be ordered in the US. Stay tuned.

I Know it wouldn't be cheap but it looks like it will be worth it,if you look closely at how it is mounted you can probably see if it would fit or not,
I can make a side cover out of fiberglass to hide the mounting, I like the V shape look, It sure looks better than the exactrep dual set up to me.
________
Aprilia SMV750

Last edited:
Back