I believe I may have a clutch problem.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kustomizer

Reaction score
I have a bike that got too close to a forest fire, I have most of it put back together but I am finding neutral hard to find, it is easier to locate when it is rolling at 10 mph or so.
I also find it almost impossible to push if it is off and in gear with the clutch lever pulled.
Do you suppose the heat that melted many of the plastic parts also injured the clutch?
How difficult is it to change and is there a recommended replacement?
I don't want to race it but who can resist twisting her tail?
thanks

When mine is cold, the clutch disk stick together creating the same symptom. Hard to find neutral can be many things. Dirty, or contaminated oil is a big one, maybe an oil & filter change first. Getting used to getting her in neutral takes a while. A little throttle blip and it should go right in from 1st. Once in neutral, does it grind kicking it into first from neutral, with the bike running?
Steve-o

I'd assume all fluids were changed after the fire?

Double check to make sure the clutch is properly bled. It's quite easy to have some air trapped in the system. I like to crack the banjo bolt at the master loose in addition to working the bleeder screw.

Did you change the clutch line after the fire? I'm wondering if it may have been compromised by the heat. If the line expands under pressure(when you pull the clutch lever) it would have an effect on the amount the clutch can disengage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have a bike that got too close to a forest fire, I have most of it put back together but I am finding neutral hard to find, it is easier to locate when it is rolling at 10 mph or so.
I also find it almost impossible to push if it is off and in gear with the clutch lever pulled.
Do you suppose the heat that melted many of the plastic parts also injured the clutch?
How difficult is it to change and is there a recommended replacement?
I don't want to race it but who can resist twisting her tail?
thanks

I was hoping san andreas was close by as i am on the san andreas fault line in so cal-would be glad to help taking it apart for you but 500 miles is quite a ride-welcome to the forum and feel free to contact if you are ever down this way.
Your clutch discs not plates can be taken out and lightly sanded to prevent sticking.

We did change the fluids, no there has never been any grinding it just seems to go from 1st to second and back again. I will look at the line closer this afternoon.
thanks

Someone on FaceBook recently said they had a similar issue with shifting on a newer Gen 1 (a 2001 I think) with the updated shift segment and he said he had to remove the clutch cover and adjust the shift drum to fix it.
So that may be worth looking into.

Latest posts

Back