Barnett Conversion

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cracked open the basket and of course, all frictions and steels are no bueno. Going up to Yamaha in the AM to get new ones. Do y'all get a new clutch plate wire of use the old one?

If you are going with the full size disk, instead of the half disk, Once the wire is removed, there is another clutch plate, a half friction plate, clutch boss spring and spring seat. The wire, clutch boss spring and spring seat are discarded. The half friction disk is replaced with a full disk.

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/clutch.htm

I cracked open the basket and of course, all frictions and steels are no bueno. Going up to Yamaha in the AM to get new ones. Do y'all get a new clutch plate wire of use the old one?
I would still see if they will clean up. Not 100% sure how bad they are. Or see if Sean of someone does a swap for blasted ones..

Okay just want to confirm - put a full friction disc in even with the Barnett conversion? Going to buy the parts now...

You can.....and most people do. That way in the future, you ONLY have to buy full size disks, and new (or bead blasted) steels.

The Vmax has a "slipper" clutch. The half disk is part of that. So.....if all else fails, and you really get on it, the clutch will slip.....and most Vmax owners dont want that, hence the removal of the half disk.

I left the 1/2 friction plate when I first installed my Barnett Clutch because it was easier and my plates were all in good shape.
About a year later I burnt up my clutch doing a burnout with a warm/sticky Shinko TM 230 so I removed the 1/2 friction and used a full friction plate because I didn't have a 1/2 plate on my shelf but did have 8 full plates.
It works fine and there isn't much difference other than it's seems slightly grabbier.
I also just scrubbed my steel plates because they were still with specs for thickness and not warped.

Last edited:
Well, the bike is put back together! Thank you for all the help with the project! I got the hook-up with parts from Yamaha, paid $6 per friction plate/clutch plate. Bought fresh oil, new gasket, oil filter, and buttoned it all up. I took it for a test ride, but I didn't get on it at all. All shifts made around 3-4k RPM. I know when I put a new clutch in my truck, it was a 500mi break-in period. I'm sure it's the same for a bike.

My thoughts so far? Doesn't seem that heavy and I put the 99lb red springs in. Seems a bit rougher on shifts, especially at low RPM. Does it bother me? Not at all :-D Can't wait to rip on it soon when some obnoxious HD owner thinks his measly 110 Screamin' Eagle bike is fast lol

Thanks again! Next up, Morley jet kit!

Latest posts

Back