Radiator Coolant / Antifreeze a crystalized big wad of goop!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRBishop

Reaction score
Trying to bring to life an 85. The gas tank is a little rusty so going to get that cleaned up using some of the suggestions on this forum. However, before I did that, I planned to fire her up by running fuel lines to an external tank. I decided to check the coolant and found this white/yellow crystalized goop that used to be antifreeze in the coolant manifold which is a mess. From what I can tell it is mainly in the manifold. I pulled the radiator hose off the front of the manifold and there was a little in the hose but not like the pile of it in the manifold which I think I can clean out. Should I be worried here or can I just try and flush this out?

radiator2.jpg

radiator1.jpg

Take the radiator out, and hook a water hose to the top radiator hose, and flush out the cooling system, letting it drain thru the lower hose. You might remove the thermostat before doing this for more efficient removal.

This stuff needs to go. You will probably notice a distinct difference between the volume of water before and after.

Place the radiator hose hooked to your water hose to the top radiator port, and again, flush the radiator out like you did the block.

Here is some stuff I took out of a running engine but it was exhibiting signs of being sub-standard in cooling capacity. I bought it used, this was only part of what I removed. I used the above method to clear the coolant passages, and that took care of the issue.

What do you think you should do?

I've heard of people using vinegar to flush their systems but I never did that myself. There are solutions you can get at the auto parts store, but I think a good flush with the radiator decoupled, and flushing the radiator separately, should get you where you want to be.

Don't end up like the guy in the last pic.

Attachments

• April 2015 Iphone 116.jpg
    April 2015 Iphone 116.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 32
  • April 2015 Iphone 117.jpg
    April 2015 Iphone 117.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 30
  • April 2015 Iphone 118.jpg
    April 2015 Iphone 118.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 33
To be clear about what I am suggesting, remove the radiator but leave the hoses connected to the engine. Hook your water hose to the radiator hose connected to the engine.

To be clear about what I am suggesting, remove the radiator but leave the hoses connected to the engine. Hook your water hose to the radiator hose connected to the engine.
Do you let the bike run for a short period of time (if possible)? Or turn it over to function water pump?
Hopefully thats not a dumb question[emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I believe I understand what you're saying about how to clear out the block. Remove the hose from the manifold at the top and disconnect the bottom hose from the radiator. So looking at my second picture in my post the hose would be going in to the front of that manifold and flushing it from right to left down to the bottom. Correct?

I've heard of people using vinegar to flush their systems but I never did that myself. There are solutions you can get at the auto parts store, but I think a good flush with the radiator decoupled, and flushing the radiator separately, should get you where you want to be.

I flushed with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and distilled water. I would fill up the system, and let the bike run for a couple of mins, until the temp gauge started coming up. Then I would drain everything out again. I flushed the system like that twice, and the 3rd time, with just pure distilled water to help get the vinegar out.

I have never seen coolant do that. Id be very careful with that motor. If its through the motor it wont cool well and its life may be short.
I dont want to be a miserable bastard but a tear down might prevent heartache.

Maybe pull some hoses and look inside?

As a mechanic I didnt pull many heads off to see clean cooling systems and well maintained motors.

All good advice. Going forward, I recommend using Toyota Factory Red coolant. You'll never have to change it again.

I flushed with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and distilled water. I would fill up the system, and let the bike run for a couple of mins, until the temp gauge started coming up. Then I would drain everything out again. I flushed the system like that twice, and the 3rd time, with just pure distilled water to help get the vinegar out.

She's not running at the moment. Sitting since 2003 so working to that point. Going to do the flush as suggested in 1st post to get all the chunks out. I may pull all the hoses individually 1st to make sure they are clear. Then after that initial flush, I'll get it running and do as you suggested. Thank you

All good advice. Going forward, I recommend using Toyota Factory Red coolant. You'll never have to change it again.

Do you use a 50/50 mix with water or straight Toyota Factory Red? What makes it so much better? Thank you

Maybe pull some hoses and look inside?

Going to clear out as many hoses as I can to start. Re-attach, do the flush with hose (block and radiator individually), hook back up and do the 50/50 vinegar flush, the distilled water flush, filler her with Toyota Factory Red coolant and hope for the best!

As a mechanic... sound like my best bet?

Thank you

I mix 50/50. It's the best I have used and keeps the system really clean. Specifically made for aluminum engines. I haven't replaced mine in several years. The other stuff, I replaced every 2 years.

Toyota also sells premix but I haven't used that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mix 50/50. It's the best I have used and keeps the system really clean. Specifically made for aluminum engines. I haven't replaced mine in several years. The other stuff, I replaced every 2 years.

Toyota also sells premix but I haven't used that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with the Toyota Red as well, and mixed it 50/50.

Its worth a try but things like thermostats can die in such conditions - I have not had my Vmax t stat out to see its construction , Im generalising here but watch the temp like a hawk.

Ill remember the Toyota coolant thing when I need a change. I worked for them and they do build reliable cars.

My friend of 40+ years began that business (Competition Cycle Center, Dania Beach FL) on US-1 (Federal Hwy) south of the Ft. Lauderdale International Airport. It was between a fabric and foam rubber store and a breast bar, the Centerfold Lounge, where a Republican member of the US Congress (House of Representatives) from the Ft. Lauderdale area, got into a tiff with the staff. The bad publicity contributed to his defeat at his next election: https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...ke-dies/d49b3e2e-208a-4eae-856f-f4e25e48a9f8/ Too bad another politico done-in by booze, strippers, and bad decisions. He was a decorated WW II veteran whose lifetime of public service was overshadowed by the event that drove him from Congress. More on this: http://downfalldictionary.blogspot.com/2009/10/j-herbert-burke-only-there-for-articles.html

My friend moved Competition Cycle Center to a location on the Dania Cutoff Canal, not far away, and it's there to this day. My friends who work there have been there for a long time. The owner sold it to a French-Canadian guy several years ago, and retired to Martin County, north of Palm Beach Co. He has a 10+ acre plot, several outbuildings, and a big 2 story house. He's a dog lover, and has a collection of cast-off dogs, found dogs, and pound dogs, on which he spends a lot of $$ to give them a chance at life, caring for their health problems. A great guy a good friend.

He has an interesting collection of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. He also had a Grumman Wigeon (he is a pilot), long-gone. One like this (not this one):

ClickHandler.ashx

The guy in the last pic used Pennzoil or occasionally Quaker State in his motorcycle, and just look at what it did to his bike!

First thing I would do is to take a sample of the crystals and put a sample in a pint of water to see if they will dissolve. If so my main intervention would be to take off the pressure cap housing and clean that out. Replace and re-fill with water and leave several days to let any remaining dissolve.
Flush the system and then re-fill with a 50/ 50 mix.

If they don't dissolve I would remove all coolant related components: hoses, radiator, t.stat housing and probably the pump and clean all components.
If you can't get rid of all traces, most likely in the narrower hoses, then replace them. Any remaining debris would soon clog the rad.
Also flush the rad from both sides.

Latest posts

Back