need advice on removing clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unblind

Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the center nut on clutch boss without a clutch holding tool ? and no impact gun ?
Trying to do it manually and having no luck :bang head:

It would be a bitch doing it without the tool or the impact?

5th gear and press down the rear brake

my brake lever was at the powdercoaters so i put a bottle jack under the master cylinder and jacked it until the bike moved then backed it a bit. that was enough to crack the nut free.

Garrett, great suggestion regarding 5th gear w/ rear brake applied.
Without an impact & clutch holding tool, doing this with a big breaker bar & socket, should break that nut loose !! :biglaugh:

Thanks for the tip but currently I have no rear wheel or swingarm even attached, (among other things) , so brakes are a no-go idea.

Thanks for the tip but currently I have no rear wheel or swingarm even attached, (among other things) , so brakes are a no-go idea.
hmm yea that sucks. i have a clutch holder tool coming that i could lend out when done if u cover shipping there and back.

and just b/c i need a laugh. heres what you do:

attach the driveshaft/pumpkin/rearwheel. have an assistant hold the rear wheel. very tight now. then try ahead!

Borrow an electric impact gun from the local auto store. Many shops have free loaner tools.

Buy a manual impact screwdriver. You can also put 1/2" drive sockets on them. Less than $20 and it is a tool everyone should have. It will break it loose. I've used it on clutch nuts and magneto nuts, primary drive bolts on many engines before I had a real impact.

Or, just but the right tool and you have no worries. And, you can torque the nut to spec when the time comes. Again, its less than $20

http://www.amazon.com/MOTION-CLUTCH-GEAR-HOLDER-08-0008/dp/B000HS4NA8

I can't get the clutch nut off either, even with the right tool and a ratchet. I tried to do it yesterday evening and ended up with a broken clutch basket. I lost grip on the tool end it snapped an ear of the basket.:bang head:

Just to be absolutly clear...

I assumed the nut has to come off by "lefty - loosy". Am I correct?

AF0aj1Qb.jpg

And this is the tool I use. (The wire is just for the photo.)

TUEF1Qpb.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I agree, everyone working on old bikes should have a manual impact driver. I find that mine works better using a heavier hammer than say a 16 oz one. I have both electric and pneumatic impact tools, but for many jobs I just reach for my trusty nearly-fifty-years-old hand impact tool. I always keep a few spare tips, usually in #2 phillips is what I seem to use it the most with. No-need to use the 'screwdriver-across-the-outer-clutch-basket-fingers' approach when using an impact tool to loosen the nut, but I'd want to use one when torquing it on. Or better-yet, the Motion Pro vise-grip-looking tool, to hold the clutch. Yes, that style.

Borrow an electric impact gun from the local auto store. Many shops have free loaner tools.

Buy a manual impact screwdriver. You can also put 1/2" drive sockets on them. Less than $20 and it is a tool everyone should have. It will break it loose. I've used it on clutch nuts and magneto nuts, primary drive bolts on many engines before I had a real impact.

Or, just but the right tool and you have no worries. And, you can torque the nut to spec when the time comes. Again, its less than $20

http://www.amazon.com/MOTION-CLUTCH-GEAR-HOLDER-08-0008/dp/B000HS4NA8

Just tried it with a hand impact tool. No result. I'm waiting for an impact gun I ordered. Should be delivered next week.

Just tried it with a hand impact tool. No result. I'm waiting for an impact gun I ordered. Should be delivered next week.

Hey,,, I have a clutch tool you can borrow if you want. It’s a much better design then the one you have in the pic. Made by EBC if memory serves me right. Use that tool and any way you need to bump the bolt/ nut off and you will be good to go. Send a pm if you want to borrow it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back