upgrading 1989 with 1997 motor

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spellsinger

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post here. Here is the deal, I got a 89 that turned out to have motor siezed, and sat for long time. I cleaned carbs, got it running, and it had horrible noise in it, sort of like major piston slap. When I rode it, it was just too much noise louder on acceleration, same on decelerate. I decided to just put new motor in it, and bought a 1997 motor on ebay. I did not look at the pictures, and it is missing the alternator and pick up cover. I understand that the 97 uses a different flywheel and has different ignition timing events. So, I think I either have to upgrade everything to 97 style, or somehow keep the 89 style ignition.
To me it makes more sense to just change the flywheel, and use all of my original 89 covers, flywheel and ignition system.

So here is the question, will this work, just putting my 89 cover, stator and ignition pickups on the 97 motor? If so, this would save a lot of work and money.

Thanks a lot for the answer. I still dont know what is wrong with the 1989 motor, it seems to run good, but some sort of tinny knock rattle in the motor.

tom

The harness and some electrical components are different. Good idea to use the 89 cover and it's pick up. And swap the 97 flywheel to the 89 type.

You'll need to swap the pickup and flywheel as was mentioned. You'll also need to modify or replace your frame cross over section (with the horn mount). This will clear the newer spin on filter.

Hi guys: Well I have been fighting with this for few days. Sean, yes, the crossover would not go on with the new filter. I have tried all day to get the flywheel off of the early motor, just no luck. Destroyed two new harmonic dampner pullers. If I have to, I guess I could get one from yamaha, or machine one out of 1/2 inch plate.
So, I put the old cover and pickups on the 97 motor, and squirted some carb cleaner in and it fired up. The spark looked strange, I think it was because of two magnetic senders on the early flywheel, and the later one has 8.

I cant get the 87 flywheel off, and cant find pickups for a 96 model. I could find the cdi box, but no pickups. I did find a couple of cdi systems on ebay for $280 or so. They are programable by computer, so possibly I could pick up some trigger event that would work.
eg. 89 pickups with 97 flywheel, and 97 cdi?

So if I do manage to get a 97 cdi, will it work at all with the wrong pickup sensors in the stator cover? I know the later one uses a single pickup, and earlier two. Can I wire this to work?
I tried to find a used 89 flywheel, to save getting this one off the old motor. Same deal, hundreds of dollars, and still has the crankshaft attached.

I have plenty of good used flywheels I can sell you. To keep the 97 stuff you'd have to swap a LOT of electrical parts (harness, CDI, kickstand switch, a few relays, and more)

Hi guys. Well I dug around and found a utube vid of morley taking off one. About 20 seconds. First, he had a massive puller, mine looked like toys. Long story short, I welded two together, put some good pressure on it with a long breaker bar. I also got a good big hammer, and gave it a serious whack. Nothing. So, I took a map gas torch, and really heated it up good, torqued it a bit more, hefty whack.. Boom came apart. So please ignore my earlier dummy questions about how to make mismatched parts work. I am sure I can take the flywheel off the late model now, and put on the earlier flywheel. Thanks for your input. Tom:bang head:

PS, thanks bob. I would have got a flywheel from you. Now, to take off the late model one. Should be a little easier now I have the technique. :)

Last edited:
Here is the setup that worked on the flywheel. Two new harmonic dampner pullers, re-machined screw with end that fit the acorn properly, big hammer, a little heat, and presto. tom

Latest posts

Back