Refinish gen 1 carbon fiber look pieces

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick67ca

Reaction score
Hello, I have the gen 1 carbon fiber look fenders and faux tank. All three are very faded. I would like to refinish them. Most web searches for refinishing c.f. just note light sanding of the clearcoat and then applying new clearcoat. Does anyone here have helpful tips for this process?

It's not actually carbon fiber.....so any description of re-finishing CF does not apply.

I think that is a printed pattern underneath a clear coat and the pattern itself has faded.

I would recommend either wrapping it or having it hydro dipped. Wrapping would be the least expensive way to go, with typically very nice results.

Hello, I have the gen 1 carbon fiber look fenders and faux tank. All three are very faded. I would like to refinish them. Most web searches for refinishing c.f. just note light sanding of the clearcoat and then applying new clearcoat. Does anyone here have helpful tips for this process?

Well, if it has a clear coat on it, instead of wet sanding..just give a good buffing to it. Use two compounds. A mid grit and then a fine grit compound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, probably the cheapest, quickest way to go, and very nice-looking, done correctly.

It's not actually carbon fiber.....so any description of re-finishing CF does not apply.

I think that is a printed pattern underneath a clear coat and the pattern itself has faded.

I would recommend either wrapping it or having it hydro dipped. Wrapping would be the least expensive way to go, with typically very nice results.

About the only detriment I can think of, paint vs. wrap/hydrodip, is that the finish is a bit more-prone to damage from rubbing against something, or the abrasion of something against the thin covering, like a tank bag on the faux tank cover, if you want to use something like that, paint it.

I just recleared my tins. I have a carbon '01. I sanded JUST A BIT with 800 and 1200, then sprayed 2k clear on them. They're super bright and clear again. I'm not the best at it, and I did it outside, so I could probably go through and resand and polish them, but from 8 feet away, they look nice and deep.

I also have the carbon fiber (I know not real). Tank (I know not real) was nice and shiny, both fenders were very dull. Nothing helped. I got some wrap, but had no luck. Tried several times same thing. I replaced both fenders with Tyco (?) and all is fine now. They were not that expensive, been a couple of years not sure price now. Thankfully my fake tank was good. If not I would probably paint the whole thing. Just my opinion

Latest posts

Back