Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get some EBC or similar brake pads in HH compound for the front at least. Keep good rubber on it, and consider going to radials, requiring a new rear wheel in 17" or 18" and typically 5-1/2" width. See my post, #2: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=43932

Front and rear can be upgraded easily-enough, front by aftermarket springs (Progressive Suspension or Race-Tech) and cartridge emulators or RICOR's to make the front end valving more-responsive. Lots of shock options for the rear, from moderate to four-figures for the most-expensive Penske or top-shelf Ohlins. A fork brace , a pair of frame braces, that's probably about it unless you have fabrication skills and want to go to upside-down forks off a sportbike.

A better headlamp is always a good idea, the LED lamps out now are coming down in price, HID lamps are another choice, and I like to have a larger headlamp bucket, say a 7".

And then there is engine hop-up stuff. Speed costs $$$, how-fast can you afford to go? I suggest working on handling, braking, and suspension, learn how to better use what you have, first. Then you can think about Dynojet Stage 7 jet kit stuff, Morley's Muscle jet kits, and the full aftermarket exhaust you need to take advantage of them. Big bore engines and altered intake systems are able to give big gains, with big prices. And they are not without issues (cam pic).

Better warm-up that credit card! :punk:

Attachments

• VMax wheel 17 in. X 5.5 in 001.jpg
    VMax wheel 17 in. X 5.5 in 001.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 6
  • VMax wheel 17 in. X 5.5 in 002.jpg
    VMax wheel 17 in. X 5.5 in 002.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 18 X 5.5 inch wheel 001.jpg
    18 X 5.5 inch wheel 001.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 18 X 5.5 inch wheel 003.jpg
    18 X 5.5 inch wheel 003.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 7
  • headlight-Superbrace.jpg
    headlight-Superbrace.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 7
  • engine apart.01.jpg
    engine apart.01.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 9
  • intake cam 2.jpg
    intake cam 2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 9
  • AA.04.jpg
    AA.04.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 9
  • carb.JPG
    carb.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 11
Wow, thanks fire-medic, lots of good info.
Ok, totally agree on the headlight, nice to be able to see well enough to night ride, lots of animals on our roads, all deer or moose, not fun to hit.
I know I've heard of the vmax death wobble, I think that is what the fork brace is to correct, right?
What are the frame stiffeners/ supports for.
As for the wheels, I feel silly now, didn't even know my rubber was not radial type! Bias ply? Totally agree here too then, radials are superior for everything.
My bike (07'), has a K&N filter, a Mike's Performance complete exhaust system, and I'm told a stage 1 jet kit. All Tha must help out for power? Sounds awesome!
I'm an automotive mechanic by trade so really don't mind tinkering and making some mods, but at the end of the day, I also really value reliability. I want to be able to pack up, hop on and go for a 2500 mile trip without having to worry about breakdowns on the top of a mountain. I know from experience, to something, you lose something. Hopped up plenty of cars in my life, you can make em' wicked fast, but don't expect 100,000 miles without having to wrench on it.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Oh, forgot to ask, what is a 17" wheel for mounting a radial worth? Can't mount a radial on the factory rims?

Not on the 15 inch rear you cant. Unfortunately they arent made.

There are some radials that you can mount on the front, but you shouldn't mix and match a radial front, and a bias ply rear.......or vice versa.

Thanks traumahawk.
Fire-medic, do you sell those 17x5.5 inch rims? Really wanting to know the cost and how big of a tire can fit with all factory other bits? Don't want to modify or replace factory rear swingarm. Any advise is appreciated, thanks

Yes, here is some info:
Yes, I do have weld-up 17" wheels available, they're made to order. A common size is 17" X 5-1/2" and it takes about a month to get in-line at my machinist's for him to deliver one. $650 and a core rear VMax wheel for the shaft drive. $75 if you want me to supply the core VMax wheel. That's like $50 for the wheel for a core, and $25 to have it shipped to me in FL. I don't know the condition of the bearings in the wheel, I buy the wheels used. I have some rear wheels for cores if you want to keep your stock wheel should you choose to sell your bike, and to be able to return it to stock. The bearings should be inspected, cleaned and re-greased if you get a core from me, to ensure the condition of the bearings prior to being used.

For an 18" X 5-1/2" rim:
Fresh from the machinist. $1200 plus paypal fees and shipping. Stock shaft drive hub on a new rim. This is a bolt-up wheel. I have one on hand.

Going with radials makes a world of difference in the bike's handling, it tracks better, corners better, and you have access to the latest tires for sportbikes or sport-touring bikes. You re-use the stock front wheel with a narrow radial, not the optimum wheel width, but it will work.

Thanks traumahawk.
Fire-medic, do you sell those 17x5.5 inch rims? Really wanting to know the cost and how big of a tire can fit with all factory other bits? Don't want to modify or replace factory rear swingarm. Any advise is appreciated, thanks

Ok, question, I really dig the 07' wheels for the black with the red line. Can a guy get one of those rims modded or are they all aluminum finish?

Get one done in stock aluminum finish and powdercoat it after the mod. Making it smooth after welding will be more expensive, the weld will need to be built-up so it can be machined smooth. He can do that, the machinist, but time is money. I don't powdercoat finish the wheels, that's up to you.

Ok, question, I really dig the 07' wheels for the black with the red line. Can a guy get one of those rims modded or are they all aluminum finish?

I had an RC wheel made for my 07. I had it powdercoated black, and a red stripe added so that way it would match. Anything can be powdercoated and a stripe added.

Attachments

• user8061_pic8939_1394308717.jpg
    user8061_pic8939_1394308717.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 16
Yep, that's the look I want for sure. Thanks guys. Fire-medic, I'll touch base when I have the scratch to order one from you.

New member r2dwift Chiming in. 1998 VMAX I'm Surprise Arizona and I like to mod. Looking to do a modern headlight mod first can you point me the right direction. Thanks and looking forward to being a part of this community.

New member r2dwift Chiming in. 1998 VMAX I'm Surprise Arizona and I like to mod. Looking to do a modern headlight mod first can you point me the right direction. Thanks and looking forward to being a part of this community.

R2swift I have big thumbs lol

Welcome!

I got the MT-03 from Morleys Muscle and love it.

picture.php

Not new to the forum, But I finally bought an 2009 Max and the thing is sweet,:eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Super nice bike man! I just bought an 07', but definitely the next one I buy will be a gen 2. Welcome to the forum....One newbie to another. The forum is awesome.
Jason.

Latest posts

Back