Float needle seat removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus

Reaction score
How do you remove the float needle seat???

Looking at the seat itself you would think it just will pull straight out..... It won't. I am now past the point of no return on this

Last edited:
Someone recently posted about this and was able to remove them. I can't remember the solution though. You may find it if you search. IIRC he removed a plug on top of the carb and took it out that way. I don't believe he got it out from the float bowl side.

Been eye-ing that plug and wondering how the hell that is supposed to be removed

Could also use some help with the part #s for the two black rubber jet block plugs and / or a good location online to view vmax parts diagrams

Could also use some help with the part #s for the two black rubber jet block plugs and / or a good location online to view vmax parts diagrams

partshark.com has a decent parts fiche style viewing. But if they can't get a part, the P/N is not shown.

I think these are the 2 p/n you need. 1st is item 43, 2nd is item 45 on partshark site.

22V-14968-00-00 1 $7.20 $5.00
22U-14968-00-00 1 $6.92 $4.81
Gary

How to perform float seat removal:

1)drill & tap the aluminum plug on top...think I used 1/4 - 20 tap
2)use a 2" long pipe spacer with an ID larger than the plug-place over the plug and thread a 1/4 - 20 bolt into the tapped plug
3)the bolt needs to be the length of the pipe spacer + the thickness of the plug..(approx. 1/4") with a washer to keep it from going inside the pipe spacer.
4)when the bolt bottoms on the spacer keep turning and it will 'jack' the plug out of the carb body
5)the seat is removed by simply using a 'C' clamp to push it out the top....it doesn't need to go very far and it will fall out when the carb is tipped upside down. (a little WD is real helpful)

-Grind flat spot in pipe spacer to provide adequate clearance for plug.
-Tape drill bit so it won't go below thickness of plug and ruin filter screen on seat...OEM plug mic's at .227"
-Grind off peens on edge of hole before installing new plug....the carb body will crack easily in this area if plug fit is too tight.
-Lightly oil all surfaces to facilitate installation.
-A drill press is very handy but not essential.

Attachments

• 100_2506.jpg
    100_2506.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Here's an easy way to perform the float seat removal:
2)use a 2" long pipe spacer with an ID larger than the plug-place over the plug and thread a 1/4 - 20 bolt into the tapped plug
3)the bolt needs to be the length of the pipe spacer + the thickness of the plug..(approx. 1/4") with a washer to keep it from going inside the pipe spacer.
4)when the bolt bottoms on the spacer keep turning and it will 'jack' the plug out of the carb body
5)the seat is removed by simply using a 'C' clamp to push it out the top....it doesn't need to go very far and it will fall out when the carb is tipped upside down. (a little WD is real helpful)

-Tape drill bit so it won't go below thickness of plug and ruin filter screen on seat.
-Grind off peens on edge of hole before installing new plug....the carb body will crack easily in this area if plug fit is too tight.

Nice write up Dan-o very helpful,thanks.
Steve-o

How to perform float seat removal:

-Tape drill bit so it won't go below thickness of plug and ruin filter screen on seat...OEM plug mic's at .227"
-A drill press is very handy but not essential.

Rand-5107 suggested making this a sticky in the "How To" or "Carb" sections....I edited the wording if one of the mods wants to do this.

Instead of all the drilling and tapping, why not just push the whole works out and save the plug?

I used a couple pieces of 1/4 steel, and two Clamps

Set up for pressing.

20160807_184211%20Small_zps5usn9lcz.jpg

Pushed the seat flush with the body with the second C Clamp.

20160807_184230%20Small_zpsmsujzvox.jpg

Used a small socket as a spacer to push the plug out.

20160807_184513_Small1_zpscl4iuvpr.jpg

All the parts came out fine, and the plugs are reusable.

20160807_184557_Small1_zpsh3dy8yop.jpg

Instead of all the drilling and tapping, why not just push the whole works out and save the plug?

I used a couple pieces of 1/4 steel, and two Clamps

Set up for pressing.

20160807_184211%20Small_zps5usn9lcz.jpg

Pushed the seat flush with the body with the second C Clamp.

20160807_184230%20Small_zpsmsujzvox.jpg

Used a small socket as a spacer to push the plug out.

20160807_184513_Small1_zpscl4iuvpr.jpg

All the parts came out fine, and the plugs are reusable.

20160807_184557_Small1_zpsh3dy8yop.jpg

Yup, that's the way I do it now (with a couple minor changes).
Most often you can save the little screens too, they get mashed flat but a careful touch can restore them to their original dome shape with no damage..

Latest posts

Back