Who has a front fork swap and how was it done

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeitz1979

Reaction score
Looking for all of the info possible to make a successful swap, any and all info would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might want to post what the forks are off of......if they are USD....etc....that way you dont have people asking if its from another Vmax....etc....

I had custom triples and fork extensions made.

Used donor forks, wheel, fender, and brakes.

Installed a digital speedo.

That's about it I guess as far as physically getting them on there.

I changed springs and had them re-valved too.

I had custom triples and fork extensions made.

Used donor forks, wheel, fender, and brakes.

Installed a digital speedo.

That's about it I guess as far as physically getting them on there.

I changed springs and had them re-valved too.
I got my triples here.
http://www.billetbikebits.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2&products_id=111
They didn't have a listing to fit the forks I had. I just sent roy an email with a couple measurements so the spacing was correct and he got them made up pretty quick. Not the cheapest way to go but I like the fact that I could use the vmax headlight, handle bar riser, speedo mount, etc. Almost looks like it belongs there.

This doesn't relate to a Max but the principle would probably be the same.

I'm in the process of fitting GSXR 1000 K6 forks into an XS650 frame.

Step 1 was to source bearings with the XS headstock o.d and the Suzuki stem i.d. and fit in the bike.
Step 2 - put the Suzuki stem/ bottom yoke into the bearings and note where the threads for the top bearing pre-load nuts are in relation to the top inner race.
In my case the stem was some 20mm short.
Step 3 either get a custom stem made or extend the existing stem.
Step 4 sort out the bump stops as they don't (in my case) line up with the XS's.

That was (probably) the easy bit.

The issue you will have on the Max is that which ever fork you use, particularly if they are from a sports bike, will a) be too short and b) springs and damping will be set up for a much lighter bike and this will need to be sorted.
You will also need to sort a drive for the speedo or change to a different unit. That will cost.

If you are doing the mod for looks then the above will be worthwhile BUT...
if you are trying to improve the handling the save yourself a lot of dosh and hassle; fit Racetech springs and emulators.
That will give you a front end that can go round corners much quicker than the majority of riders talents will allow.
Additionally the money you save can be invested in some rear shocks, solid mount or go towards 17" wheels.

Thanks for tho info guys, I want it for looks and handling but mainly to run different rims with a little fatter of a tire of possible front and rear. I would definitely have to get rid of my forks either way I go because I have the air crossover ones. Which I hear a lot of people say suck.

Thanks for tho info guys, I want it for looks and handling but mainly to run different rims with a little fatter of a tire of possible front and rear. I would definitely have to get rid of my forks either way I go because I have the air crossover ones. Which I hear a lot of people say suck.

Actually there is a sticky on here about what needs to be done to make the 85-92 forks handle.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I do have a batch of inverted triple sets on the way. Still, most will do just fine with upgrades of brakes and springs with the early front ends.

I am with Mr. Midnight on this one, RICOR'S, Cartridge Emulators, or the new guy, YSS wave washer cartridges, they all do the same thing.

Choose your replacement springs, Progressive Suspension (the old guys); Race Tech, or Ohlins (more calculations involved, as they are straight-wound).

And then, the #1 thing to do for handling, radial tires, which will do more for your handling than any other single item, assuming your suspension is in good shape. Worn-out components need not apply for work.

You will get more use out of radials than you will benefits from some other fork. That's not to say USD forks aren't good, but you can make your bike handle much-better for less $$ and work, spending it on radials. But if you have to have that parking-lot 'bling,' USD forks are eye-catching.

I have fit a complete R1 front end incl. triple trees into my vmax.
Did some sleeves to make the fork longer and installed stiffer springs to match the higher weight of the vmax.
If you want, i can send you drawings of the parts that have to be machined. I am running this setup sind 5000 kms, no problems yet!

I am happy you like the bike! Me too :)

Mike, i did no changes to the rake. I used the triple trees of the R1, but we pressed out the R1 steering tube and put in the Vmax steering tube (same diameter) so i could keep alle the bearings. the only thing that hat to be done was an adaptor ring, because the center bore in the upper tripple tree is bigger than the one in the vmax. But thats all.

hello
what about use fzr1000 usd fork and vmax wheel?
i already have 6pot calipers but wanted to keep stock wheel because of police.
will speedo gear work like on stock max?
i know fzr1000 wont be that much better than a good setup on vmax ones but i like the look and can have one for cheap...

I have an FZR1000 fork that I haven't bothered using because w/the mods done to the 1993+ fork I don't need to do it for any incremental benefit it may provide, plus the issues of swapping.

hello
what about use fzr1000 usd fork and vmax wheel?
i already have 6pot calipers but wanted to keep stock wheel because of police.
will speedo gear work like on stock max?
i know fzr1000 wont be that much better than a good setup on vmax ones but i like the look and can have one for cheap...

As long as you use the stock Vmax wheel, the speedo should still read correctly.

what about the rake?
dont know how much lower it will be even with stock wheel,and i dont mind lowering the bike but will radiator contact be a issue?or is it only when using a 17"wheels and low profile tyre?

thanks

A smaller wheel will actually decrease possibility of striking the rad. Sliding forks up is the worst thing or changing for a shorter set of forks for that matter.

Latest posts

Back