Rear Wheel Options

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vince99frc

Reaction score
Hello guys I am new to the Vmax and I have been doing some searching and some of the post are old and I see a lot of vendors have decided to go a different direction. Hard to sort on google without getting skewed results when sorting the stock wheel look with a swing arm and by 17s and 18s.

I would like to know if there is an extended swing arm option for someone considering keeping the stock rear?

I would like to know what our current extended swing arm option that goes with the stock front in black, but with 17s and 18s? Looks like Kosman use to make a 17 and/or 18 inch wheel out of the 15 inch stock, but I think someone said they have stopped.

I am looking to keep a dark look and stay below the $2k range with swing arm and tires. Is this even possible with this bike?

Also if you have pictures to share with some of the above options please share.

Thanks,

Vince

Can i ask why you intend keeping the stock rear wheel....just for looks?

Yes, Kosman is no longer making an aftermarket wheel for the Vmax.

Fire medic on here, has a friend that is doing something similar to the kosman wheel, but in a 17 inch wheel (if I remember right)

RC makes an aftermarket rear wheel for the Vmax. RMS sportmax and Sean Morley are dealers. I bought my RC wheel from Sean.

OCCASIONALLY there are some carrozzeria wheels SPECIAL MADE for vmax's will show up. I think Sean still has a set. Those are 18 inch rims.

All of the above wheels will work with the stock swingarm.

Sean Morley also does extended and braced....or even stock length and braced swing arms. Exactrep does as well, but they are across the pond, so extra shipping as well.

Hopefully Sean Morley ([email protected] That is his email and the best way to get him) and Firemedic will show up to give some more info.

Below is my RC wheel. It is 18 inches, with a stock swingarm. It is heavier than stock though, so keep that in mind.

Attachments

• user8061_pic8979_1396283860.jpg
    user8061_pic8979_1396283860.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 102
Thanks for the information... So far what I am finding is one or two wheels costing more than some sets of aftermarket sets of 4 wheels for cars and looking at the price of Vmaxs I could buy another Vmax. The bike is a gift to myself and I don't even plan to ride it until after I get the look I want.

Yes, Kosman is no longer making an aftermarket wheel for the Vmax.

Fire medic on here, has a friend that is doing something similar to the kosman wheel, but in a 17 inch wheel (if I remember right)

RC makes an aftermarket rear wheel for the Vmax. RMS sportmax and Sean Morley are dealers. I bought my RC wheel from Sean.

OCCASIONALLY there are some carrozzeria wheels SPECIAL MADE for vmax's will show up. I think Sean still has a set. Those are 18 inch rims.

All of the above wheels will work with the stock swingarm.

Sean Morley also does extended and braced....or even stock length and braced swing arms. Exactrep does as well, but they are across the pond, so extra shipping as well.

Hopefully Sean Morley ([email protected] That is his email and the best way to get him) and Firemedic will show up to give some more info.

Below is my RC wheel. It is 18 inches, with a stock swingarm. It is heavier than stock though, so keep that in mind.

Traumahawk your bike is very clean!!!!!! I wonder how much would your setup cost with a 3 inch swing arm?

As Eric mentioned I do have some options for sure. INCLUDING a set of Carr wheels/Good Tires, a +3" arm, extended fuel tank, and the KYB shocks. That complete kit will set you back $3500. See the picture of the bike I will be removing it from (or the whole bike is available and I can also give you some trade in credit in your current bike).

Here's pricing a la carte:
$2500 - Carrozzeria Wheels (not including tires and not including the fact you can't get them anymore)
$1500 - Swingarm Kit (extended arm, brake line, driveshaft extender, kyb shocks, coating)
$350 - Extended Fuel Tank

I do have a set of old 3 spoke Kosmans that would be $1500 if you're interested. And, we're working on another design that we are hoping will be in the same price range but still some months out before we have them ready to go. Got the first set almost done and have the second set of blanks ready and just need the adapters.

I can send info on the extended swingarms if you want that gets into more detail.

Attachments

• IMG_20161027_172525358.jpg
    IMG_20161027_172525358.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20161027_172514795.jpg
    IMG_20161027_172514795.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20161023_121729745.jpg
    IMG_20161023_121729745.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20161027_172534299.jpg
    IMG_20161027_172534299.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20160907_161053544.jpg
    IMG_20160907_161053544.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20160930_152415757.jpg
    IMG_20160930_152415757.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20161203_125548.jpg
    IMG_20161203_125548.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Tri-Spoke.jpg
    Tri-Spoke.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 82
Thanks Sean for the fast response. Those are some options. I am guessing since you did not respond to all of the questions in my original post those options don't exist?

As Eric mentioned I do have some options for sure. INCLUDING a set of Carr wheels/Good Tires, a +3" arm, extended fuel tank, and the KYB shocks. That complete kit will set you back $3500. See the picture of the bike I will be removing it from (or the whole bike is available and I can also give you some trade in credit in your current bike).

Here's pricing a la carte:
$2500 - Carrozzeria Wheels (not including tires and not including the fact you can't get them anymore)
$1500 - Swingarm Kit (extended arm, brake line, driveshaft extender, kyb shocks, coating)
$350 - Extended Fuel Tank

I do have a set of old 3 spoke Kosmans that would be $1500 if you're interested. And, we're working on another design that we are hoping will be in the same price range but still some months out before we have them ready to go. Got the first set almost done and have the second set of blanks ready and just need the adapters.

I can send info on the extended swingarms if you want that gets into more detail.

I can have made either 17" (most cost-effective) or 18" (pricey, but closest to the stock diameter) wheels which use the stock shaft drive system. They are 5-1/2 or 6" wide, depending on the donor rim.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=41081&highlight=5-1/2"

See post #10: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=41857&highlight=5-1/2"

17" wheel size gives the best availability of rubber, you should use the same type of radial front & rear. There are different methods of radial construction, mixing manufacturers front & rear could make your handling unpredictable if not unsafe. You can run a narrow tire on the 18" fromt rim, it's not optimal width, but it can be done. It isn't advised to go to a wider front tire than stock (using a stock 18" front rim, unwidened) if you choose to run radials, as radials need a wider bead measurement (width) to 'sit' on the rim, compared to bias-ply tires.

Generally, the 17" is welded-up and uses a donor rim, while the 18" is bolted-together and uses a new rim. Both are mated to the splined shaft-drive VMax rear hub. The 17" is $650 and the 18" is $1200. look at the threads for more info. I have an 18" on-hand right now. Pics in the threads, or you can PM me w/your email.

Last edited:
Loving all the options... Hoping to make some kind of decision by Friday. Just doing the research now.

I really like my 17" Kosmans, Thanks to Sean & Howard. They look good, (though I'm bias'd) and didn't break the bank. Polishing and powder coating added to the price. That was just my own labor plus materials. The Carro's are the way to go if you have the bank, and can even find them now. $650 from Fire medic's friend gets you radials reasonably, using the stock front wheel.

Thanks Sean for the fast response. Those are some options. I am guessing since you did not respond to all of the questions in my original post those options don't exist?

Which questions specifically do you need? The extended arm will work with stock wheel easily enough if you need to do it in stages.

It's been awhile since I looked at exactrep, they have beautiful stuff. Wish I could afford that! The cantilever rear wheel suspension unit is very pretty, too-bad it costs the same as a decent used Gen II!

I think value added tax isn't paid by us here, it's a surcharge for the EU, and who knows what's gonna happen with Brexit?

I only offer these wheels to give people who want more-economical wide rims to have a reasonable option. Even the least-expensive OTEC rear wheel, by the time it's shipped, is much more-expensive than what I offer.

Who makes those 5 spoke wheels that Exactrep is selling? Anybody know what they weigh?

If I can't get a pair of Carrozzeria's those 5 spokes might work!

Sean do you have a picture of a Vmax with the swing arm with stock wheels?

Which questions specifically do you need? The extended arm will work with stock wheel easily enough if you need to do it in stages.

Not many pics with stock wheels but I did find 2 of them.

Attachments

• Picture_006.jpg
    Picture_006.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 66
  • SweetWillieBrown.jpg
    SweetWillieBrown.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 78
Hi I did a 1500cc so I stretched mine 3" wheels I did Rc but they are so heavy so I saved some $ an went with Carro,s Seans wheel very light if you stretch your bike the rear fender doesn't line up with the radius of the tire looks a lil odd so I did a shorty rear fender to 6" stretch will kill handling .

Latest posts

Back