Stepping away from the bikes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I am going to step away from the bikes a little bit & mess with 4 wheels. I have wanted another Chevy Luv for years & some very good Vmax brothers made it happen for the me .

I brought home this 72 Luv today already set up for a small block. It has a narrowed 12 Bolt posi with ladder bars, all the v8 mounts, headers radiator & all. I just need to find a motor. The body is solid no rust holes which is rare for a Luv. It will be a fun toy

Capt. Kyle good luck with your new project and I hope to see you back at least that 72 Luv will always make you think of the VMAX brothers who helped you with it. Once again, Good Luck

Capt. Kyle good luck with your new project and I hope to see you back at least that 72 Luv will always make you think of the VMAX brothers who helped you with it. Once again, Good Luck

Thanks and all the help I have gotten will not be forgotten. I am not going anywhere I make my living off bikes just need a break

Cool project Kyle, what convertor and rear gear you running?...........I have had my daughters 79 Firebird sitting in my garage for the last 8 years or so, it was her first car we put together when she was in high school, scored the roller cheap, stuffed a 4.10 rear from a camaro under it, built a stout turbo 350 with a 3500 convertor, slapped a 350 chevy together from spare parts and welded in the frame mounts to make it fit, she drove it for a couple of years and ended up hurting the engine, we put it away thinking we would get to making the repairs but college, her career, buying a house in another town and life in general got in the way, I found a good deal on a Brodox headed 383 stroker and picked it up just after christmas, I thought I would surprise her and get it out this spring, with the warm temps we have had the last few weeks I got busy pulling the old engine out and getting the 383 installed, I fired it a few nights ago and took it around the neighborhood, I barley had it back in the garage and my phone was ringing, apparently one of her friends spotted me and clued her in, we had big laughs and she was excited to hear it's running again, I still have to find a good Holley 750 mechanical yet to complete the package, when our season begins I will bolt the slicks on and hit the local spots and see what I can stir up................:biglaugh:................Tom.

Cool project Kyle, what convertor and rear gear you running?...........I have had my daughters 79 Firebird sitting in my garage for the last 8 years or so, it was her first car we put together when she was in high school, scored the roller cheap, stuffed a 4.10 rear from a camaro under it, built a stout turbo 350 with a 3500 convertor, slapped a 350 chevy together from spare parts and welded in the frame mounts to make it fit, she drove it for a couple of years and ended up hurting the engine, we put it away thinking we would get to making the repairs but college, her career, buying a house in another town and life in general got in the way, I found a good deal on a Brodox headed 383 stroker and picked it up just after christmas, I thought I would surprise her and get it out this spring, with the warm temps we have had the last few weeks I got busy pulling the old engine out and getting the 383 installed, I fired it a few nights ago and took it around the neighborhood, I barley had it back in the garage and my phone was ringing, apparently one of her friends spotted me and clued her in, we had big laughs and she was excited to hear it's running again, I still have to find a good Holley 750 mechanical yet to complete the package, when our season begins I will bolt the slicks on and hit the local spots and see what I can stir up................:biglaugh:................Tom.

Right now it is just a stock convertor . I have not pulled the differential cover yet but by counti g the revolutions it looks to be arou d a 350 gear which will be a good all around gear. I plan on doing a lot more to it just have to do a little at a time.

And next up, we have a recent build by Tom, "The Beekeeper" in lane 1, an oldie but goodie 1979 Pontiac, and this chief didn't go-away to die, it's got a stroked 383 small block in-front of a high-stall-speed torque converter-equipped GM auto tranny, this combination is well-known for turning those track slicks over in a hurry! This combo is being driven by a gal, so when the victory light comes-on in her lane, guys, be men about it and offer her congratulations, 'cause it wasn't the "Little Old Lady From Pasadena" that just did you in, but her granddaughter, "The Queen Bee!"

Aaannnd, that's how we're running tonight at U!-S!-one-thirty-one, Mmmartinnnn Draaag-wayyyyy!!!!!!
:punk:

gear you running?...........I have had my daughters 79 Firebird sitting in my garage for the last 8 years or so, it was her first car we put together when she was in high school, scored the roller cheap, stuffed a 4.10 rear from a camaro under it, built a stout turbo 350 with a 3500 convertor, slapped a 350 chevy together from spare parts and welded in the frame mounts to make it fit, she drove it for a couple of years and ended up hurting the engine, we put it away thinking we would get to making the repairs but college, her career, buying a house in another town and life in general got in the way, I found a good deal on a Brodox headed 383 stroker and picked it up just after christmas, I thought I would surprise her and get it out this spring, with the warm temps we have had the last few weeks I got busy pulling the old engine out and getting the 383 installed, I fired it a few nights ago and took it around the neighborhood, I barley had it back in the garage and my phone was ringing, apparently one of her friends spotted me and clued her in, we had big laughs and she was excited to hear it's running again, I still have to find a good Holley 750 mechanical yet to complete the package, when our season begins I will bolt the slicks on and hit the local spots and see what I can stir up................:biglaugh:................Tom.[/QUOTE]

We'll play with it on the street a while and then head down to Martin to post some official times, it was in the high 14s before and I expect mid 12s with this combo, we will have to be carefull as there is no cage or connectors to keep the body from flexing, street tires are fine as they go right up in smoke.............:punk:..............Tom.

We'll play with it on the street a while and then head down to Martin to post some official times, it was in the high 14s before and I expect mid 12s with this combo, we will have to be carefull as there is no cage or connectors to keep the body from flexing, street tires are fine as they go right up in smoke.............:punk:..............Tom.

It should be a fun toy for yall. I am sure she will have fun in it. My last Luv ran 13s with a bone stock motor and then I hopped it up a bit and was running mid 11s . I will have this one there in the near future.

Looks like a high rise dual plane intake, I'm not sure but the heads look like stock castings, I think the 3.50 gear would suit you well with the light truck application, throw in a 3000-3500 stall convertor, a shift kit in the trans, mild RV cam and a 650 carb, go have fun!!.......:biglaugh:........Later on as fundage allows get a nice set of aftermarket heads, matching cam, high rise single plane, a 750 Holley and maybe a set of long tube headders to take advantage of your free flowing combo, if you can plant the tires I would guess low 11s maybe a high 10 sec combo, fun fun fun!!!...............:punk:...............Tom.

Looks like a high rise dual plane intake, I'm not sure but the heads look like stock castings, I think the 3.50 gear would suit you well with the light truck application, throw in a 3000-3500 stall convertor, a shift kit in the trans, mild RV cam and a 650 carb, go have fun!!.......:biglaugh:........Later on as fundage allows get a nice set of aftermarket heads, matching cam, high rise single plane, a 750 Holley and maybe a set of long tube headders to take advantage of your free flowing combo, if you can plant the tires I would guess low 11s maybe a high 10 sec combo, fun fun fun!!!...............:punk:...............Tom.[/Q

Yep just stock casting heads right now & that is the plan just get it drivable for right now & and improve it as I get the cash. I have already been eye balling heads ,cams etc. I have a big wish list. LOL I did not have many traction issued with my old one it hooked up pretty nice & with the motor being moved back around 4 inches in this one & the ladder bar setup they built I think it will do good. It is nice to have a 12 bolt positrac to instead of the stock rear with welded spider gears like my old one.

What!!..........No smokey burnout vid??............Good to see step 1 completed!!............Tom.

I just bought Goodyear stock because of this build, I expect to see it grow! Sounds healthy.

Found a nice addition today while I was inspecting it for its first real maiden voyage. I still need to pull the diff cover but I think it might have a spool in it to.

Attachments

• 20170310_102419.jpg
    20170310_102419.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 9
Well, the axles should hold up but what about the diff? I haven't seen you mention what under there.

Saying diff makes me think of Miles Long. He always says the vmax doesn't have a diff. It's a final drive. Haven't heard from him in awhile.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back