Engine inner resistance/starter clutch problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rzubonja

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a problem with one my friend's bike.

He came to me complaining that his starter clutch is bad, I thought no problem...had few of them lying in my garage.

After trying few combinations of starter clutches (original/heavy duty) I always get the same result, the motor spins for maybe one rev and then just stops after which you hear a whistling sound from the starter clutch 'crying' :)

So, I can only assume that the motor has an increased inner resistance preventing it from spinning freely...

It is an original motor with maybe 30k miles...never opened or disassembled

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Ranko

Additional info, the bike can be push started.... it fires right up within few meters and runs normally after that.

If i read you correctly, It sounds like you press the start button, the engine sounds like its engaged with the starter motor, then releases instantly, or free spin, without rotating the engine any longer..

Since you've already tried different starter clutches, did you check the condition of the teeth on the gear that's connected to the starter clutch?? You may have some missing..

Good luck..

Remove the small plate from the stator cover.

Remove spark plug.

Turn engine over with socket and ratchet. You will be against valvespring pressure and normal internal friction. Shouldn't be too hard.

New batteries can be bad.

Checking condition of the mating gear as noted is a good suggestion.

What is the condition of the starter? Old 2 pole or 4 pole? Any chance it could be on its last legs?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Seems that there was a combination of things that made it hard to trace...

I changed the starter motor, gears and the thick ground wire from the starter motor...it revs like new now

Thanks for your suggestions :)

Latest posts

Back