External Tach for tuning?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus36

Reaction score
I switched from the stock silver face instrument dash to an OEM dark face one. The replacment tach shows 500-600 RPM while the old one showed 1000. So I don't know if the original or the replacement OEM tach is correct.

Does anyone use another temporary tach for tuning?

Also, is there a way to calibrate the factory unit against the external one?

Replacement tachs usually have setting for the number of cylinders. Does this one? I find it interesting that its reading basically HALF what the factory tach is.

EDIT.....sorry was thinking that you were talking about an aftermarket tach.

Both tachs are Yamaha Vmax factory instrument panels. My stock silver one is a 1997 unit. It works fine and is in storage with all the rest of the stock pieces. The one I replaced it with is from a 2004 Vmax. What I am looking for is a digital tach for carb/mixture/idle tuning and also calibrating the OEM analog tachometer - if that is even possible. If not, I can mark the gauge cover glass like we did with helicopter gauges.

Last year I went through THREE (3) Sunpro Super Tachometer III units. They each lasted a few weeks before they grenaded from the vibration (I got refunds on all of them. The last one they said don't even bother returning it). But those are electro-mechanical as well.

I was wondering if I could use an old dwell/tach meter, but again that would not be digital.

Back