Running Issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outlaws justice

Reaction score
I have a new to me 2007 Vmax with 3,000 original miles. The P.O. had the bike in the shop before shipping it to me and had the Carburetors rebuilt.

Bike Idles perfectly (I check the synch with a carb tune and it is almost dead on) the bike reeves up nice, no popping, no hesitation or stumble.

When I take it out on the road and am at almost any speed and am running maintenance throttle the bike seems to for lack of a better term "hesitate". It feels like ti is doing the opposite of surging, kind of drops a little and picks back up. It is at any speed. It is fine under hard acceleration and fine at idle and when sitting raving it up. Also the V-Boost does not kick in till over 7,000 RPM's

The Tac stays steady as the bike does all this and it is minor but you can feel it in the bike. Does not seem to be electrical. I also just replaced all four plugs last night but the old ones look really good. Has a fresh tank of fuel and I put some fuel additive in as well and have ridden it 20 miles and still have the same problem.

Any help or guidance to point me in the right direction would be grateful.

Pull a carb slide and check out the needles. Maybe some aftermarket parts in there with a bad clip position or some assembled incorrectly

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yep, was wondering if anything extra been put into the carbs.

Also, something that you might not wanna here. Ive heard numerous stories of carbs being rebuilt by various "carb" guys........and in the end, they didnt know what they were doing.

Yep, was wondering if anything extra been put into the carbs.

Also, something that you might not wanna here. Ive heard numerous stories of carbs being rebuilt by various "carb" guys........and in the end, they didnt know what they were doing.

That happens a lot!

I will pull them apart and check.

Thanks guys, I did as suggested, right rear carb, port in the cover for the vacuum ws plugged not letting the diaphragm move. Blew out the port and she now runs the way she was designed.

Doesnt that make you want to check the carbs fully if the last guy missed that? But I guess if runs ok it cant be too far off.

There are bleed holes on either side of both the slide & cut-off diaphragms, they have to be free for the diaphragms to work properly. It's not unusual to see this in bikes that have sat awhile with the slide diaphragm being the most common offender.

Bike Idles perfect and I checked the balance with my Carbtune as well. I also pulled out all four diaphragms and they look very good and all the internals look like brand new pieces as they say they installed. I am going to ride it and see how she does since she is new to me and I have put less than 40 miles on it so far.

It sounds like the rebuild job was done well, that bleed hole is an easy thing to miss, and can be a bitch to clear out sometimes too.

40 miles eh? I'm surprised....didn't you guys get around 3' of snow a few days ago?

It sounds like the rebuild job was done well, that bleed hole is an easy thing to miss, and can be a bitch to clear out sometimes too.

40 miles eh? I'm surprised....didn't you guys get around 3' of snow a few days ago?

:rofl_200: Yes at home we did, But I am not in Watertown right now. I am currently living in Southern CA as I oversee the California Motorcyclist Safety Program for the State. Lots of fun and year round riding. I will be heading back to the East Coast in July to be home for awhile and also teach a few Advanced Classes along the way in Colorado, Tennessee and New York and maybe other places in my travels.

:rofl_200: Yes at home we did, But I am not in Watertown right now. I am currently living in Southern CA as I oversee the California Motorcyclist Safety Program for the State. Lots of fun and year round riding. I will be heading back to the East Coast in July to be home for awhile and also teach a few Advanced Classes along the way in Colorado, Tennessee and New York and maybe other places in my travels.

Cool, sounds like a killer job! And just about ANY job in California is preferable to a NY winter!

Latest posts

Back