talk me out of buying.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hess13x

Reaction score
So someone talk me out of buying a voodoo 4-2. I love the look of my cobras but hate the HP loss. Thoughts?

It will be LOUD, dosent matter if you get the megaphones or slashcuts. The megaphones will be a little bit quietet though. If you get one of their systems, the best thing to do is to get some good quality exhaust packing and repack the "mufflers" before you even install them. I have UFOs version and they use crappy ass steel wool that gives things a very raspy sound. Voodoos system is identical except for price so id imagine they use the steel wool as well. The repacked mufflers have a much better sound to them and i personally think the raspy sound is gone now. Theyre still loud now, but much easier to live with.

I have the UFO dragstar great sound up to 4000rpm I can only imagine voodoo is the same but you can't beat the advertised price unless they sack you with shipping....if you do buy it invest in ear plugs for you and who ever rides with you..

Not sure if it is true but i heard that ufo pipe thickness is a little thicker and i think i also heard that the voo doo is not ceramic coated on the inside. Just hear say. Im not knocking any of them just passing on hear say.

So someone talk me out of buying a voodoo 4-2. I love the look of my cobras but hate the HP loss.

O.K. Don't buy a voodoo 4-2. Cobras look great on any Max! They further solidify that classic 80's musclebike look - 4 cylinders, therefore 4 pipes.
The H.P loss might be a good thing - it brings the power more in line with the handling characteristics of the Gen 1 . Even when the bike was introduced in '85, it was knocked for it's handling.
Why not first spend your cash on handling upgrades, THEN maybe a better exhaust?
Hope this helps!
Cheers

The cobra's do look great but its time for a change. I've already drilled the baffles and have gotten them to sound pretty good.

Voodoo Exhaust for the 1st Gen VMAX is made from 16 gauge Stainless Steel so it doesn't require coating. Stainless does not rust. Our exhaust is currently baffled with the steel packing. But we do offer packs of fiberglass packing if you want to change it out for only $4.74. And like all of our parts, we have plenty in stock and ready to ship.

Voodoo Exhaust for the 1st Gen VMAX is made from 16 gauge Stainless Steel so it doesn't require coating. Stainless does not rust. Our exhaust is currently baffled with the steel packing. But we do offer packs of fiberglass packing if you want to change it out for only $4.74. And like all of our parts, we have plenty in stock and ready to ship.

Do you offer a different baffle that can be used in the megaphone to quiet it down? Something similar to what is noted on this post?

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=387018&postcount=33

Thanks for the First Hand info.

I bought the UFO 4-1 drag, and yes it is very loud even with ear plugs on a ride. I grabbed a megaphone from Mike at UFO this winter with two different end pieces for $200. I haven't got it installed yet, but everything I have ordered cost me a total of $1050 shipped with taxes.. I went to put the megaphone on with the 1 1/2" hole and noticed I need to take off about an inch of the pipe that goes into the muffler/ tail pipe. It fit perfect with the open Slash cut.. I will say Mike at UFO has been very good to me.

O.K. Don't buy a voodoo 4-2. Cobras look great on any Max! They further solidify that classic 80's musclebike look - 4 cylinders, therefore 4 pipes.
The H.P loss might be a good thing - it brings the power more in line with the handling characteristics of the Gen 1 . Even when the bike was introduced in '85, it was knocked for it's handling.
Why not first spend your cash on handling upgrades, THEN maybe a better exhaust?
Hope this helps!
Cheers

Meh... the power loss is only noticable so far up, you're in the "Go Straight To Jail" zone lol
That being said, I would like to find a way to get the lost power back...

If you do get Voo Doo or ufo make sure you plan trips with dman and ride right next to him i think he has one good ear left.

If you do get Voo Doo or ufo make sure you plan trips with dman and ride right next to him i think he has one good ear left.
:rofl_200: :punk: :rofl_200:
I'll Never forget that Ear Shattering Roar from your Vmax under the bridge in Johnstown !!!!
I Think I'm still partially deaf in that ear.

Latest posts

Back