New Paint!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A great pic of the bike when it was newer, and your father in his riding regalia.

A word of advice to your son would be to ditch the Jack Purcell footware, and to only use boots to kickstart a motorcycle. One good kickback from a V-twin and you've got broken metatarsals in that foot, and they take a long time to heal. Maybe a 50 cc two-stroke you can risk using sneakers, but anything like a Harley-Davidson, Indian, or Vincent, "boots, please!"

So yes, I am making sure that the 36 stays in the family. Being the first year and the EL model to boot it's in big demand. They made the standard E model which was 7 to 1 compression with a 3 speed and the EL was the performance model at 7.5 to 1 and a four speed.

I have a standing offer from a local Harley guy for 30,000 and all he wants is the motor and tranny only...

The photo of me and my Dad was taken in 1959. No shortage of photos since he was a professional photog for the Portland Or, Rose City Harley club.

The first photo is my Dad long before I was born. This is what it looked like in 1941 when he bought it used for 325.00 I still have the receipt and original title.

My son just started ridin two years ago (Ducati Monster) the second photo is me about a month ago teachin him how to prime, choke, retard the timing and get the old guy down the road. It's actually quite an experience! You feel a bit like Captain America ridin the thing.

Ya tennies are not the best, however at 7.5 to 1 when it does kickback it's about the same as my first bike which was a 72 first year Kaw H2 750 and I used to lean over it and start it with my hand when in the presence of Harley riders. :biglaugh:

Anyway duly noted!

Here ya go Fire-medic. My Dad bought the 36 in 41. Any of you guys into old Harley's will notice straight away that it has a later glide front end, the springer is shown in the second photo when I was 8. He liked the glide better and he switched it to foot shift. I found out in 06 that he was not going to be with us for more than 18 to 24 months so a good friend helped me restore it so we could get him in the wind.

The mission was successful and we had a few last rides together. Rather than put the old parts back on I left it just the way he liked it. I still ride it at least once a week. I still have the sidecar and will restore it some day.

Very nice , and my dream bike. Way over my budget unfortunately. And there are few unmolested left.
Steve-o

Yes Sir steve-o. When I ride it I always run into guys that recognize the motor and ask why the glide front end and no tank shift? I always tell them that is the way my Dad liked it and even though I have the parts it will stay the way it is out of respect for him. :punk:

Thats a great read, thanks.
Aint it funny how a bunch of V max guys are all over that ol hog. That bike was cool before cool was.
Im teaching my girl how to do stuff too, renovations, in the shed etc. She loves her play tool bench and giving them a very light hammer is ideal when you are putting up dry wall and they are 'helping you' fit it. They take in and learn so much if you just take the time to talk to them like they arent stupid just cause they are young.

Someone has to brew alcohol (petrol sales will end one day Im sure) for my mobility scooter and tune it when Im old..............

Thats a great read, thanks.
Aint it funny how a bunch of V max guys are all over that ol hog. That bike was cool before cool was.
Im teaching my girl how to do stuff too, renovations, in the shed etc. She loves her play tool bench and giving them a very light hammer is ideal when you are putting up dry wall and they are 'helping you' fit it. They take in and learn so much if you just take the time to talk to them like they arent stupid just cause they are young.

Someone has to brew alcohol (petrol sales will end one day Im sure) for my mobility scooter and tune it when Im old..............

That old hog is a museum piece. Love the Vmax, but appreciate any nice ride. Clean customs always good to view or ride.

Latest posts

Back