Today on "This Old VMAX"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So...here we are 1 week later and the bike is done. I will go and get her tomorrow after I get home from work. The mechanic called me today while I was choking down a bacon cheeseburger at Five Guys Burgers and Fries. I about spit it back up when he told me total. $660.00!!

Between damaged parts, missing parts and the like...it added up to be a nightmare for them. The owner, Dave, took it for a test ride and said she purrs like a kitten and he was very impressed with the power she had. Now, if you recall, I never had an issue with it running w/o arm jerking power. It was the gas smell and terrible mileage I had issues with. I am guessing that since it didn't sputter or choke out under throttle that the jetting may have been just fine all along. I'll find out when I go get her what all he did to her.

I have the bike sold, which sucks but it's a good thing as well. A guy is coming from SC to get it, about 4-4.5 hours away. I was going to almost break even on the bike BEFORE shelling out $660.00 on it, now I am firmly in the hole (that's what she said).

She will be missed even though I have only had her since February. I've put so much of my own time and money in her to make her what she is but I have to be a big boy and sell her off to get money for other matters far more pressing than having a cool toy. I'd like to think once I get my house sold I'll get another bike. As much as I like the Max, I'll probably not get another one. I think I'll go more modern but who knows.

Maybe the guy will not show and I'll be stuck with her!

Well thats a depressing ending to the story. :(

Please do update though, so we can know if this 'carb guy' is worth his salt (and cost).

Been great reading your posts tho, so thanks.

T $

Well thats a depressing ending to the story. :(

Please do update though, so we can know if this 'carb guy' is worth his salt (and cost).

Been great reading your posts tho, so thanks.

T $

Well I didn't want to get all mushy but thanks. I have learned an awful lot in my short time here. You all have been great to me and I sincerely thank y'all for that!

The vmax has been a bike I've dreamed of owning since they first came out when I teenager and although I bit off more than I bargained for with this one, I can say whole heartedly that it lived up to its reputation! I've had fun tinkering with it and making it mine.

She really is a beautiful bike, the new owner will be getting one hell of a ride.

I'll still check in, maybe not as bike owner but I'll stick around. I like you guys! :punk:

Well atleast ride it one time before you hand the key over....just to see what it feels like.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

So...here we are 1 week later and the bike is done. I will go and get her tomorrow after I get home from work. The mechanic called me today while I was choking down a bacon cheeseburger at Five Guys Burgers and Fries. I about spit it back up when he told me total. $660.00!!

Between damaged parts, missing parts and the like...it added up to be a nightmare for them. The owner, Dave, took it for a test ride and said she purrs like a kitten and he was very impressed with the power she had. Now, if you recall, I never had an issue with it running w/o arm jerking power. It was the gas smell and terrible mileage I had issues with. I am guessing that since it didn't sputter or choke out under throttle that the jetting may have been just fine all along. I'll find out when I go get her what all he did to her.

I have the bike sold, which sucks but it's a good thing as well. A guy is coming from SC to get it, about 4-4.5 hours away. I was going to almost break even on the bike BEFORE shelling out $660.00 on it, now I am firmly in the hole (that's what she said).

She will be missed even though I have only had her since February. I've put so much of my own time and money in her to make her what she is but I have to be a big boy and sell her off to get money for other matters far more pressing than having a cool toy. I'd like to think once I get my house sold I'll get another bike. As much as I like the Max, I'll probably not get another one. I think I'll go more modern but who knows.

Maybe the guy will not show and I'll be stuck with her!
It sounds like you may have some regrets if you sell. Maybe hang on to it for a month. Ride it a bunch, see if it's up to snuff and going to be a reliable bike. And that way we can still have our weekly installments on this old vmax.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I'd love to keep the bike, I know when I pick it up today and ride it home, it's going to make me want to call the guy and tell him I've changed my mind but I need to sell it. I need a quick injection of cash into the bank account and selling the "toys" is the way I can get it. I have my wife's Shadow for sale and her Jeep. Hell I've even thought about selling off some of my guns. Not to over explain (but it'll seem that way), my house is the nicest house I've ever lived in but I can't wait to move. My city has changed dramatically in the last 10 years, really the last 5 have been insane.

My neighborhood used to be Doctors and Lawyers, Pilots. We had a golf course even. Well, where the golf course used to be is gubment housing! The foreclosures that were happening when the economy was tanking really hurt the area. We now have thugs walking the streets, people driving 60 mph in the subdivision, even passing you like you were on the highway! Robberies, cars broken in to. Gun shots heard is a common occurrence. I read about killings and store robberies in my area daily. It is time to get the hell outta Dodge. To do so, I have some things I have to do to get the house ready to sell. I don't want to go in debt to do it, so selling my toys is a way to do it and it opens me up to getting another bike down the road.

It sounds good on paper. The reality of the bike being gone when I see it ride off on Sunday, will be hard to stomach. I went through the same thing back in 2005 or 2006, when I sold my convertible Mustang GT. My wife said "We'll get you another one". Yeah, right. I'm still waiting on that one! LOL

Not to over explain (but it'll seem that way), my house is the nicest house I've ever lived in but I can't wait to move. My city has changed dramatically in the last 10 years, really the last 5 have been insane.

My neighborhood used to be Doctors and Lawyers, Pilots. We had a golf course even. Well, where the golf course used to be is gubment housing! The foreclosures that were happening when the economy was tanking really hurt the area. We now have thugs walking the streets, people driving 60 mph in the subdivision, even passing you like you were on the highway! Robberies, cars broken in to. Gun shots heard is a common occurrence. I read about killings and store robberies in my area daily. It is time to get the hell outta Dodge.

That sucks. Sadly, it's kindof a theme lately over the past few years in areas all over the country. I hope you get to where you want to be. (and IT stays nice).

I'd love to keep the bike.....

.... The reality of the bike being gone when I see it ride off on Sunday, will be hard to stomach. I went through the same thing back in 2005 or 2006, when I sold my convertible Mustang GT. My wife said "We'll get you another one". Yeah, right. I'm still waiting on that one! LOL

I know ya gotta do what ya gotta do, BUT I'll just mention that back in 07, I sold a bike (98 Honda shadow, custom painted, by me ;) shown below) just so we would have more cash to put down on the house. :bang head:

Well, I regretted it. (of course, I do have a vmax now).

Lost that house, lost that wife (gave away actually) :clapping:

Now have a new impoved house, new improved wife, and my vmax is "almost done" (yea right, lol, itl never be "done" :rofl_200: )

Anyway, wish ya luck, and keep us posted about the ol codger carb repair guy, and how the bike turned out.

T$

Attachments

• shadow4.jpg
    shadow4.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 12
  • shadow6.jpg
    shadow6.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 11
  • shadow 1.jpg
    shadow 1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 12
  • shadow3.jpg
    shadow3.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 13
  • shadow5.jpg
    shadow5.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 14
Maxine is home. I just went and paid the ransom to get her back. Here's what he told me and showed me. The boots were cracked, it needed new o-rings, 8 boots (4 each of one kind and 4 of another), some other parts I can't read on the invoice, 3 vacuum caps.

He cleaned the carbs, replaced needed parts, cleaned and flushed tank, cleaned the airbox and serviced the gas cap, whatever that means.

The fuel mixture screws were bent to hell and back, he said that because those boots were cracked that it was sucking in air and the other "mechanic" had all 4 carbs adjusted differently to compensate. No re-jetting was needed. He said there were missing screws all over the place and he was surprised it ran as well as it did.

He said that when he rode it he was surprised at how well it ran, said it runs like a new one, rides really well. I told him "I know, I made it that way" :eusa_dance:

I rode it home and couldn't tell it was any different as far as how it ran. Still yanks like a freight train but I didn't smell gas when I pulled it in the garage! I guess not having a stuck float and not having gas coming out of it helps, lol.

She's a great bike. I will say this, I rode home in shorts, short sleeve shirt (yeah, I was squidding like a mofo) and I was still burning my ass up. That bike puts off some heat! Plus it's 95° outside today:blink000:

The new owner is set to come Sunday around 12-1 to get it. Once he rides it, he ain't gonna leave it behind so I'll get her all shined up with some Topcoat F11 one last time, have a nice talk with her and tell her it's not her, it's me and say my goodbyes :biglaugh:

In the rare event he doesn't show. I will probably keep it. My wife already told me to keep it but I have to look at the big picture.

PIdqlku.jpg

Today is the day! I didn't sleep last night, lol. I sold my Wife's Jeep yesterday and today is my turn to lose my toy. Maybe he'll not show!

Yeah it stinks having to do what you have to do but the big picture is more important!
When your all settled in in your new location , you can start looking for another one.
look at it this way, you know all the mods to do on the next one!
Good luck!

Today is the day! I didn't sleep last night, lol. I sold my Wife's Jeep yesterday and today is my turn to lose my toy. Maybe he'll not show!

Best of luck with whatever happens. I had to go without a ride for a while in my younger days. Things get better. And stick around here.
Steve-o

Are we talking about cancer or are we talking about getting this Vmax rolling. Sound like a bunch of women.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karma is on you buddy you thought you getting over on this old man don't you realize you don't get something for nothing in this world.

Are we talking about cancer or are we talking about getting this Vmax rolling. Sound like a bunch of women.

Well I guess you could go back and read it then you'd know. No cancer, smartass. The bike had some issues, I fixed them, sold it. You'll think it's a bunch of women until you get size 12 boots up your ass, but then again you might like that.

Karma is on you buddy you thought you getting over on this old man don't you realize you don't get something for nothing in this world.

What? I got nothing over on him. I overpaid for that bike. Plain and simple. Do you make a habit of joining forums only to show what an asshole you are? If so, mission accomplished.

Latest posts

Back