carbs rocking in boots 1st gen

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy1ear

Reaction score
My 2000 is running badly, carb issues i think.
I saw that sometimes the carbs don't seat in the boots properly and you get a vacuum leak. Put a hose on a propane torch to get the gas near the boots to see if the idle changed. It seem to change but fluctuating idle is part of my symptoms.
So i loosened the upper clamps on the carb boots as there were varying gaps between the boots and the bottom of the carb.
The carbs snapped down except the right rear. Push on it and it goes down but the left front comes up, kinda teeter tottering.
Is there a gap between the bottom of the carbs and the boots? Should i loosen up the carb rack somehow to get it level?
PO had but the carbs on so not sure how they started out.

Thanks in advance

Fully seated, the rubber boots should touch the casting for the drain screw on each carb body.

They can be assembled a touch out of level but I can't see any way too get them too far off. If you suspect that, you could pull the rack, losing all the joining brackets and reassemble. I typically put the rack together on my steel bench witch some wood stock under each pair to make sure every is level when I torque them down.

Chances are, yours are not fully seated all the way around. It can take some effort if the boots are stiff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Make sure the clamps are loose before installing. Take the carbs off and inspect the boots. Are they hard and cracked? Replace if so. Lube the rubbers up good before reinstalling the carbs. WD-40 works good.

My 2000 is running badly, carb issues i think.
I saw that sometimes the carbs don't seat in the boots properly and you get a vacuum leak. Put a hose on a propane torch to get the gas near the boots to see if the idle changed. It seem to change but fluctuating idle is part of my symptoms.
So i loosened the upper clamps on the carb boots as there were varying gaps between the boots and the bottom of the carb.
The carbs snapped down except the right rear. Push on it and it goes down but the left front comes up, kinda teeter tottering.
Is there a gap between the bottom of the carbs and the boots? Should i loosen up the carb rack somehow to get it level?
PO had but the carbs on so not sure how they started out.

Thanks in advance

DO NOT loosen the carb rack-
Loosen the upper carb intake clamps and press diagonal-You are pressing one side at a time. There are 2 lines on the carbs and as you press them down you want to see both disappear into the carbs rubber intakes --:clapping:

Get them down into the intakes THEN check with spray for leaks.:clapping:

Make sure the clamps are loose before installing. Take the carbs off and inspect the boots. Are they hard and cracked? Replace if so. Lube the rubbers up good before reinstalling the carbs. WD-40 works good.

+1. WD-40 works great.

Thanks for the post fire-medic. There was a post there by dannymax to tighten each one as you got them seated and then work on the next. That was it.
Now i have to wait for evening to come to test ride as it is 98 degrees outside at the moment.

Back