Need Some Help. My first Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaladfingers

Reaction score
Hey all,
I just got my first Vmax. It's currently in the shop being sorted through just incase if I missed something. She looks good and it was a great price. I need some help identifying a specific part I have a service manual that came with the bike, but I could not find the part. As you can understand from the pics that the previous owner has filed down the original seat bracket (my name for it) and extended it to a luggage rack. For functionality, it is not bad and seems to be sturdy. I prefer the look of the fender being by itself. So everyone could give some help, it would be awesome.
Take care and thanks,
Zalad

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171023-175500.jpg
    Screenshot_20171023-175500.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_20171023-175517.jpg
    Screenshot_20171023-175517.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 131
Wow, that unique.

Looks like you have 2/3 of an OEM sissy bar attached to a OEM grab rail with some homemade brackets between.

I'd say you should be able to disassemble that mess, and install the grab bar you already have to return it back to stock

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wow, the redneck things people do. They made a rack for the OEM backrest (which has the upper section missing as was noted). I do have some racks around here. I MIGHT have an OEM upright. I know I do have some custom low uprights with pads (and some without too).

Sounds great. Thanks you all. Ill try and tear it down when it gets out of the shop. It is a very ignorant mod. To me at least. It is pretty terrible but for $1800 for an 02 with 7k miles, I could not resist. They also attached some terrible looking highway pegs too.

Just another question, what types of sockets are recommended for the removal of this 2/3 sissy bar?

A good question. My answer, is "whatever he had on-top of his workbench at the time he threw that cantilever dogbone back rack together!"

This one looks like it was carefully-crafted, except there's no brace at its end to the tailight carrier, to actually be capable of supporting more-than a pound or two. It does have what appears to be a weld bead on the front transverse tube.

Sounds great. Thanks you all. Ill try and tear it down when it gets out of the shop. It is a very ignorant mod. To me at least. It is pretty terrible but for $1800 for an 02 with 7k miles, I could not resist. They also attached some terrible looking highway pegs too.

Just another question, what types of sockets are recommended for the removal of this 2/3 sissy bar?

Thank you. I got the OEM grab bar off and the handmade one, but the bolts I was talking about are the ones directly under the seat. This looks like the 2/3 sissy bar.
Thank you

I believe those are M8 & about 45 mm long which is about 1-3/4" long. The ones that hold the fender to the frame, and mount vertically.

There are two different bolts for the grab bar pieces that also accept the sissy bar loop. Two bolts on each side hold the sissy bar loop to the side grab bar pieces.

Look at this fiche:
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004f01af8700223a0a08369/fender

Wow, that unique.

Looks like you have 2/3 of an OEM sissy bar attached to a OEM grab rail with some homemade brackets between.

I'd say you should be able to disassemble that mess, and install the grab bar you already have to return it back to stock

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Looks like the perfect time. To get a virago grab bar. You already have the side pieces.

Latest posts

Back