Looking for a sport bike, advice?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyboy11

Reaction score
All,

I'm looking for a sport touring bike. It would be driven to work (65 miles round trip) and on some weekends on a 500 mile round trip. I'm looking for something with hard bags and plenty of power. I also wan't an upright riding position.

I have been eyeballing the used Kawasaki Concours 14 and the FJR 1300's also. It would be a used bike purchase for under $7500. I haven't ridden any sport touring bikes and I'm looking for advice from some of you more experienced riders.

What sport touring bikes do you prefer and why. Should I stay away from certain ones?

I guess you can't edit the title. Should have included touring initially!!

Those are a couple of heavyweights there, if you're 200+ lb that might be just the thing. Personally, I would suggest a BMW twin, the RT model, they are built for the long haul and are comfortable for 1 or 2. Lots of good features.

The Concours/FJR seem like what you're after. If you go FJR, avoid the auto-clutch version that was offered for a few years. They're relatively uncommon anyway, but it was a complex system that wasn't known to be particularly reliable.

The Concours14 has a little more aftermarket support, more power, and a 6 speed. It's getting a little long in the tooth and is pretty spartan for features. It's been essentially unchanged since it came out in 2008 aside from one very minor update in 2011-12 or so (heated grips were added, and they moved the cubby from on top of the tank to the side fairing- that's about it). ABS was optional on older models, and it became standard at some point, bringing KTRC (traction control) with it.

The FJR recently got a 6spd in the latest update, as well as an optional ES (Electronic Suspension) option. The FJR also got cruise control sometime in the last couple years. Some people couldn't care less while others feel that's a huge bonus over the C14.

Both have electric adjusting windscreens and 100K+ mile engines. To me, they feel pretty much identical aside from the Connie having a bit more oomph to the engine, although the FJR is by no means a slouch and will gladly whisk you deep into go-to-jail speeds if asked.

GSes and other ADV style tourers to me split the difference between something like a Concours and a Goldwing. ADV bikes personally I find more comfortable than sport-tourers with a more neutral/upright seating position. Connie/FJR still put you in a bit of "attack" forward lean, even with risers. It's vastly better than a supersport, but for a 500 mile day, you might start to find it tiring.

Thing is, the BMW1200 boxer I just find to be hopelessly boring. It has the personality of a kitchen appliance, and power can best be described as "adequate". Not thrilling, not dynamic, just "adequate". It's comfortable, smooth, and a perfectly capable touring mount, but eh, it's just dull as dishwater to me. BMW cars have the reputation of being "businesslike" and "stuffy", and their bikes echo that at least to me. The Multistrada 1200's have a far, far more entertaining engine, and reliability is actually pretty solid. I've seen early 2010's models going for within your budget, but plan for a $1500 service every 15k miles.

I'd suggest a FJ-09. It has the upright and neutral seating position of an ADV, the jewel of an engine from the FZ-09, and they can be had secondhand well within your budget, probably with a new nice extras. The "cons" are while it has a fantastic spread of smooth torque, outright speed isn't particularly fast- not gonna flatten your eyeballs when you wind it out, it has an IMO annoying/unnecessary governor at like 110mph, and stock suspension definitely is more conducive to "touring" than "sport". It's an ADV bike, without the off-roady pretense.

If you don't mind looking older and cheaper, a Honda ST1300 can be had for next to nothing, especially if you find one with a few miles on it. They have good power (not C14 fast, but not too far off), and the great V4 sound. Still very capable, bulletproof bikes that can be had for bargain prices.

If you consider yourself more of a sporty/aggressive rider who really wants to rail corners and crank the speeds up, I'd look toward the C14 or FJR. If you place a little more focus on comfort and less on speed, look toward the FJ09.

Thanks for the input guys. I have a lot of research to do. I'm going to head up to a local shop and check some out this weekend.

Anyone else with personal experience, please chime in also.:biglaugh:

Buy a Vstrom 650, best commuter I’ve ever owned. 55+ MPG, super comfortable, and can be had for $2500-$5000.

Buy a Vstrom 650, best commuter I’ve ever owned. 55+ MPG, super comfortable, and can be had for $2500-$5000.

I have been looking at those also. My concern with bikes that size were how they do on the highway at speeds. I'm sure they would be better around town than the larger bikes.

I have been looking at those also. My concern with bikes that size were how they do on the highway at speeds. I'm sure they would be better around town than the larger bikes.

The strom is really a remarkable bike. Highway speeds will not be a problem at all. Guys tour those things to the edges of the earth fully loaded with gear. There is a 1000 cc version of the strom but it's heavier and seems generally not regarded as well as a 650 strom. Oddly enough the 1000cc is what Ive been waiting for, but a 650 at the right price would be in my garage tomorrow. It's a bike that has so many things right and the only glaring drawback I can think of is the heinous aesthetics. IMHO a strom 650 must be tried, my guess is you will be very pleasantly surprised but all that it does correctly.

When I worked at the Zuki dealer the Strom 650 was easily one of the best sellers, and I agree, they are a very solid all-rounder sort of bike. Saw probably 10 650's for every 1 1000. The engines are rock solid, and the bikes really don't do anything wrong aside look like a frog someone chucked against a wall.

I'm not really sure I'd label it a sport-touring though. While the 650 is highway capable just fine, the sporty feel of the SV650 was sapped away by a combination of the Strom's higher weight, taller gearing, and I believe the engine is in a milder/torquier state of tune compared to the SV. It's a midsize ADV tourer that realistically has around 60hp, which is plenty for a single rider, their panniers, and they're not looking to ever go much faster than 80 or so (I think I maxed out a stock one around 105, but north of 80 there isn't much roll on power, and the motor feels quite busy). They are quite comfortable, and there is a very robust aftermarket for the Strom 650- so you can outfit the bike to your heart's content. The new 1000 has been pretty much a sales flop, so aftermarket is much more limited.

The 1000cc variant ups that to around 90hp (about the same as the FJ-09), but it really doesn't feel any more capable to the butt dyno in normal riding. There's more highway roll on power, and I'm sure it handles 2up riding easier, but for a single rider who stays largely within the speed limit or 5-10 over, I'd go for the 650.

Best you can do is find a dealership that has used examples of bikes you're considering (dealers can be stingy allowing test drives on new inventory, but they never care about used) and take them all for a spin and see what feels best to you.

Great advice guys, I will look strongly at the Strom 650. I looked at the concours and fjr 1300 today and those seemed to big for my comfort level. Sat on a FJ 09 and it was definitely nice.

Sounds like the "frog thrown against the wall" is my most viable option at this point, LOL.

Thanks,

I ended up with a low mileage FJR 1300 Gen I ABS. Although it is not a VBoost beast, I do really like my FJR for the following reasons:

17” radials and good suspension = great handling
100k fuel injected engine with same HP as VMax = plenty of fun factor, 3rd gear pass hits 100 Mph in a blink.
Excellent headlights, taillights and ABS = safety
200+ mile range = convenience
Shaft drive and well thought out placement of things like the oil filter etc = easy to work on
Yamaha = well I’ve only owned Yamaha’s...

I was looking for a good all around fun bike and wanted only a single bike (otherwise I’d still have my 2001 VMax). I am very happy doing a 100 mike round trip work commute on my FJR. At the same time I have no worries about taking longer trips as well.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really liking the used 2012 Super Tenere's I'm seeing around.

If you like a GS 1200, you'll probably like the Tenere also. They feel pretty similar to me, just parallel twin vs opposed twin. I'd give the nod to the GS for smoothness, the Tenere gets pretty chuggy if you ask it to accelerate from too low rpm. Both are big, tall ADV bikes, both are comfortable, both have good (but not really exciting) power. Neither one is really built with speed or handling in mind, although both will send you well north of the ton if asked I wouldn't really describe their personality as sporty, like a FJR, FJ-09, or Concours.

Thing is, Tenere's can be had for a lot less coin than a GS, and will cost less to own in the long run.

Hi I have Kawasaki ninja 1000 and it has good low end power like a vmax with an upright riding position. It has available hard bags too. It's not a big bike so it wouldn't be good for a real big guy in my opinion. It leans more toward the sport side of things but its a pretty good all around bike. Also they are on the cheaper side compared to a FJR. I know you said you bought a bike already but i thought I'd put in my two cents. Hope you're enjoying the new bike.

Latest posts

Back