!New Crib!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea definitely...I am 100% sold on home inspections, I learned A LOT. The guy is full of information and he knows his stuff. He wrote the home inspector exam for the state of WI and is a structural engineer. I'll be using him in the future if this deal falls through.

Typically I am a glass half full kinda guy, but what really pisses me off is this guy didn't disclose things he knew were wrong with the house, and by law you have to disclose everything. So we may be out over 700 bucks for appraisal/inspection, but if those things had been disclosed we likely would have just moved onto another house in the first place ya know?

thats true and i follow. i dunno if MA has the same laws b/c there shoulda been a LOT of stuff they should have listed. is it possible this guy didn't know b/c he moved in after the foundation fix?

thats true and i follow. i dunno if MA has the same laws b/c there shoulda been a LOT of stuff they should have listed. is it possible this guy didn't know b/c he moved in after the foundation fix?

He claims he moved in after the foundation fix (which the inspector disputes), but admitted to knowing that the fix was in place. Now, admittedly if I had seen the angle iron when we looked at the house I'd have not had a clue what it was there for anyways. But there was so much stuff stored in the basement that you couldn't see it. The inspector had to move boxes and lean over them to see everything that was going on, and determined that the fix wasn't done to code.

So what I'm trying to say here is that because he knew the fix was there, whether or not he knew it was done to code being irrelevant, it should have been disclosed on the condition report. He also admitted to knowing the garage roof was in need of replacement, but next to the comment "I am aware of defects in the roof" he checked "No".

So he basically didn't disclose knowing about roughly 15 grand worth of repairs that absolutely need to be done, and while I'm not sure about MA law I know that here in WI he is definitely in the wrong.

Well my in-laws used to be realtor's. When they list the house they had a inspector come out and look the house. Before they got a house on the market they had the owner fix the items or would not list it, they missed out of a few houses but they knew that good to go when they listed the house. When helping a buyer, if they did not know that inspector or if the house had not had one they brought their guy in to inspect the house.
It was a good thing that you had the house inspected or you would had a lot of extra on your hands later on. Sucks that you liked the house so much. I would want to be sure than get bitten later on.

Well my in-laws used to be realtor's. When they list the house they had a inspector come out and look the house. Before they got a house on the market they had the owner fix the items or would not list it, they missed out of a few houses but they knew that good to go when they listed the house. When helping a buyer, if they did not know that inspector or if the house had not had one they brought their guy in to inspect the house.
It was a good thing that you had the house inspected or you would had a lot of extra on your hands later on. Sucks that you liked the house so much. I would want to be sure than get bitten later on.

Definitely, right on. Things went well today. The seller has people lined up to replace the garage roof and the home warranty they offered with the sale of the house is going to cover the water heater issues. We met with a foundation guy today who will have a cost estimate to excavate and fix tomorrow and the seller plans to get a 2nd estimate from another company for comparison purposes. But he seemed more than willing to pay and get the things done so the deal can move forward.

I actually feel bad for the guy. Because now both the inspector and the foundation repair guy have said that if someone had paid a minuscule amount of money more when the repairs were done (to ensure they were right) in the past we wouldn't be having this conversation now at all. They guessed maybe $50 in 2x4's would have been enough to combat what has happened between the repair and now, but because of the lack of that 50 bucks it's going to cost him thousands! But I was pleased with his attitude towards it, he said it very much sucks but he doesn't want it to happen to anyone else.

sounds like you still may have a deal on your hand then since the selling is addressing the issues

Just an update, all is going smoothly now. It's all official and in writing. We stipulated what we wanted fixed and how we wanted it fixed and he agreed to all of it. So, closing is back on track!

Back