Corbin vs Stock

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05Max!

Reaction score
I am brand new to the Vmax world and this is my first post. I just bought an 05 #541:punk: and it has the Corbin seat on it. This seat sits like a rock. Is the stock seat any better? I am looking for something more comfortable, so I am hoping one of you Vmax experts has some insight for me.

Thanks

Depends. I am a smaller build guy, and hated the corbin when I sat on one. They are too wide and hard for me. I actually like my stock seat better! There are many options available, 2 members here offer seats that will make your ride 100x better. Sean (one2dmax) offers many different styles of cut down seats, and the maxgasser by Rick (twistedmax) that is a replacement that is well liked by many members here. Good luck and welcome to VMF!
EDIT- you can see both of their ads at the top of this page- Morely Muscle and Maxgasser. Sean can cut down/customize your Corbin too....

I was happy with my stock seat....until I bought a cut down one. The comfort of the cut down seat is a huge improvement. You sit "in" the bike, instead of "on" it. Ricks Maxgasser is suppose to be even better, but I haven't had the opportunity to try one yet. Rick offers a "loaner" Maxgasser seat for guys to try before they buy..... Can't beat that!

@06VMAXIMUS, how tall are you? i ask wondering how your legs are situated after you cut down the sit. i'm thinking of cutting down my stock (although it appears that the PO may have already shaved some off) , but fear the new angle that my legs would take may be awkward and/or uncomfortable.

Hey 05Max!, Welcome to the Vmax Forum.
Any rides over an hour on the stock seat set-up were just not comfortable for me. I ended up getting a MaxGasser seat from Rick about a yr ago. Fantastic seat. Was on several +4 hr rides last summer... no discomfort at all.

As 06VMAXIMUS says: Rick can send ya a loner to try out, or I'm here in Midland, about 1.5 hrs from ya. Stop by and try it out if you like or we can meet up for a ride .... on a nice day of course !!

Glad to see another Michigan Vmax rider on the VMF. Plan on attending some of the great Michigan rides and / or Vmax events during the summer. They're awsome.... :punk:

I "tried" the maxgasser seat. It is an excellent seat. I currently have a corbin on my bike. I happen to like it a lot. It does make you sit higher and it does spread your legs a bit more but I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam and I can still flat foot the bike with no problem. For distance riding I have an airhawk medium cruiser cushion that fits the corbin perfectly and it is quite comfy. I rode 2k miles in a week through Canada last year and did not experience and pain/discomfort with the Corbin/Airhawk combo. I've even ridden 300-500 miles in one day without the airhawk on the corbin and it was still acceptable. Seats are all a matter of personal preference. A lot of guys here think that the Corbin looks like a "horse saddle". Well, it does in a way but to me it still follows the lines of the bike acceptably. Some guys think the Corbin is too hard but for me (5'10" 190lbs) it's ok.

Some of the later Gen 1's have a better seat than the early bikes. I sat on a 2007 low miles
bike that wasn't bad. Anything is better than the seat I had come with my 89. Lot's of good seat guys right here. Rick, Sean, Lil Jon . Sorry if I forgot anyone else here.
Steve

I much more preferred the Corbin to the stock. But at 6'2" and 220 I like having something under me not felling like its jamming into me after an hour. IMHO

a113ycat, I'm 5'10 with a 32" inseem so the Corbin is a little wide for me, but I could see how it fits you better.

I am 6'2" with 32" inseam and the only thing I did not like about the Corbin was sitting on the rear part of the seat by the time i hit 3rd gear. I bought the Morley Muscle seat and now I stay in the right place when going through the gears.

a113ycat, I'm 5'10 with a 32" inseem so the Corbin is a little wide for me, but I could see how it fits you better.

HEY!! What are you saying?? Im on a diet. Lone Star, Scotch and tacos...Hmmm maybe you have a point:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

I changed my position to slightly forward. Superbike bars and stock risers are prolly part of it. I like it though. My seat (Sportmax) seem more comfortable and my back feels better after a good long ride. Maybe rear sets someday. As far as a change? I like the Maxgasser a lot. Check them all out if you're looking. Lot's of choises. The great thing about a Vmax is you can usually find someone with what you are interested in, and try it before buying it.

I was happy with my stock seat....until I bought a cut down one. The comfort of the cut down seat is a huge improvement. You sit "in" the bike, instead of "on" it. Ricks Maxgasser is suppose to be even better, but I haven't had the opportunity to try one yet. Rick offers a "loaner" Maxgasser seat for guys to try before they buy..... Can't beat that!

Thanks Bob :biglaugh:, I got an email and phone call this afternoon. Soon to have another happy customer:clapping:.Glad he came here!

@06VMAXIMUS, how tall are you? i ask wondering how your legs are situated after you cut down the sit. i'm thinking of cutting down my stock (although it appears that the PO may have already shaved some off) , but fear the new angle that my legs would take may be awkward and/or uncomfortable.
5'9" on a good day! 30 inch inseam. I can sit flat footed now. I was going to have Sean cut down my stocker, but ended up buying a sportmax from Dannymax. I have some Kuryakyn highway pegs that I kick my feet up on when on long trips, and combined with the seat its like sitting on a lazyboy...but then again I came from a crotch rocket, so anything is a big improvement!

I?m on a corbin about a year and it?s working just fine... no more pain on my back (I used to have some with the original one) but as it?s wider my feet are even more far from the ground.
Oh, Lord... why didn?t You make me a little taller... :(

Welcome 05MAX, you can check out the MAXGASSER in the threads here or on the website. If you have any ?'s feel free to call. I can still offer a trial seat too.

I had an original Corbin on my '86 and liked the looks of it fine, it wasn't great for me comfort wise but defo better than stock! Then I upgraded to a Muscle Corbin from Sean Morley and that was MUCH better, although not quite perfect. Prolly because of my sitting stance - higher wider bars and large windscreen, so I was sitting upright and after a while the tail bone started hurting. I am 6'2" and around 200lbs.

On my '00 I have a new Morley's Muscle seat, looking forward to it when my bike arrives and I get back home to Oz!

Latest posts

Back