Lowering Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decter

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Progressive 412 rear shocks on the vmax?

If so,
1. How much does it lower the seat?
2. Does it affect the handling at all?
3. How does it affect the comfort of the ride on the bike?

Thanks

They come in different heights (shock length). So stock 13" obviously won't lower it. 12" is a good street compromise. 412's are decent and a good upgrade over stock. You will enjoy them more than stock shocks. But they aren't night and day different. They are a improvement.

Todd

I am 5'7 and trying to get close to flat footed. Would the 11.5 shocks be too low, and in your opinion how much will it lower the seat height?

I think part of the problem for those of us who are vertically challenged is the width of the tank. You might see how much of a difference you can get with a cut seat or call Rick (maxgasser) and see if he'll make you a seat that's a bit narrower.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I had my max lowered. And changed the front tyre to a radial, 110/70/18 ( because I changed the rear rim 180/55/18) and that lowered the bike more , now on the tight twisties you need to be careful as it will drag the footpegs mounts on the frame .

They come in different heights (shock length). So stock 13" obviously won't lower it. 12" is a good street compromise. 412's are decent and a good upgrade over stock. You will enjoy them more than stock shocks. But they aren't night and day different. They are a improvement.
Agree completely. I installed 12" 412's on my bike last year, at the same time I lowered the front forks by 1 1/2". I had previously re-shaped the seat, lowering it about an inch or so.
I'm 5'7" as well, with a 30" inseam. With all of the above, I flat-foot, even with running shoes on.
Negatives- Lowering the front , more than the back, makes the steering "quicker" - something that takes some getting used to. I'd suggest lowering the bike by the same amount, fore and aft, to retain the original geometry.
- your sidestand will have to be shortened, or the pivot point modified, so that the bike retains an appropriate lean angle. This is not a big deal to do.
- the lower you go from stock, the harder it will be to get your bike on the centerstand. Most likely you will need help, or initially run the back tire onto a piece of wood, before you attempt to lift it.
- something not often mentioned.....if you install shorter shocks, even 1" shorter, you will not be able to remove the axle, when removing the rear wheel. This is with the stock exhaust. You have to also remove both shocks, in order to let the swingarm pivot low enough to provide clearance. Maybe not a big deal in a workshop, but would be an added pain if on the side of the road.
A tad off-topic, but if you are doing suspension changes, the absolute best, low-cost modification (most folks will agree) is the installation of aftermarket springs in the front forks. A huge improvement in handling/stability. Progressive offers 1" or 2" lowering kits, together with their V-max specific springs.
Cheers!
forgot to mention - yes, shorter shocks make for a harsher ride. Noticeable even with 12" 412's. Not as forgiving on bumps. But as mentioned, still an overall improvement compared to stock shocks.

Last edited:
The one I am looking at already has the front springs replaced, though I am not sure what they were replaced with. The work was done prior to the guy I am looking to buy from purchasing it so, I don't know how I would find out what the manufacturer was/is.

Are there any issues with clearance while riding with lower shocks, or merely when doing maintenance?

Although I'm not vertically challenged, I did put 11" 412's out back on my '94 and slid the forks up just about an inch. I know that puts the front a bit higher, but I haven't noticed any truly detrimental handling penalties...well almost none. Get to that in a minute. But, with the lowering and a Sportmax seat and I feel like I'm pretty slammed.

I have yet to scrap a footpeg, but I'm no canyon carver. I'm not a wuss either, and have been on some of Arizona's finest twisties with this beast.

I have solid head stem bearings, swing arm bushings and Dale Walker frame braces, but a couple of times I have picked up a high speed wobble in sweeping turns. Wibble-wobbles on the freeway (or anywhere) and a buck ten or so tends to get your attention.

Wish I knew what was going on, everything seems to be in order.

Wait, I know. Don't do any buck ten freeway blasts. Problems solved.

Nah.

Cut down seat makes a world of difference, you sit in the bike instead of on it! Sean Morley on this forum (one2dmax) can hook you up with a seat, if flat footed is what you are after.

I'd suggest 2" internal lowering on the front and 1.5" lowering on the rear (we sell the progressives for pretty competitive pricing). Lower the seat with one of our custom seats and then we can sell you the modified kickstand on an exchange.

Sean

I'd suggest 2" internal lowering on the front and 1.5" lowering on the rear (we sell the progressives for pretty competitive pricing). Lower the seat with one of our custom seats and then we can sell you the modified kickstand on an exchange.

Sean

Sean,
I'm assuming this is all for the Gen 1, right?

Sean

At 1.5-2.0in internal lowering is the radiator clearance OK? Seems that 1" is the max people go with just sliding the fork tubes?

Sean

Sean,
I was reading that a company in France customizes the Gen 1 seats and I believe the Gen 2 Seats. They use a combo of trimming the stock foam and insert gel packs. Have you tried using gel packs yet? I often wonder how using some layers of good memory foam under the stock foam would work.

The VMAX seat has been a hard seat since 1985, you'd think Yamaha would have addressed this years ago???

Latest posts

Back