Im trying to track down my fathers Drag V-MAX

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sean knows Jeff I believe, he was a regular member a few years back. You might try to PM him to see if he is still connected here.
He was last on here in November of 2014 so I imagine a PM would work.

I have many of the parts from that bike (and of course talk to Jeff pretty regularly). The wheel was sold last year and made itself to Canada if I remember right. I've owned a few of them over the years and they aren't super easy to find. I have a chain drive version of that wheel (I think) on hand so if you wanted to build a replica and take it to the next level we could do that!

I do appreciate the effort, Ive decided that once I get my car back together (again) that I'd really like to buy a Vmax and not copy his bike but build my own. And with my history in the supra world I will most likely fabricate a custom turbo setup. Something you may like to hear is that I had a plaque made of his article from Cycle World and its hanging in my shop (basement lol) next to the plaque from my Dsport article where my Supra was featured. Im sure my wife isnt going to be happy about me starting a new project hahaha

Bob

I love the honor you are showing your father. keep us updated once you get it built, and any questions I am sure dad will be a sounding board for you. Do you happen to still have the trophie(s) my father brought to you on one of our visits?

Its been a while but Im back. Going to look at a 2003 Vmax on sunday with cash in hand. Im already planning to build a fuel injection setup for it lol.

Bob Wilkinson

Good luck! I've got a few project bikes around too if it doesn't work out for you!

Super cool, and this was a really fun thread to read. Best of luck on the build!

Quick question for all you experts. Anything I should specifically be on the look out for while I'm inspecting this 2003 on Sunday?

Its been a while but Im back. Going to look at a 2003 Vmax on sunday with cash in hand. Im already planning to build a fuel injection setup for it lol.

Bob Wilkinson

There was a fuel injection setup you could buy awhile back, it used the stock carb bodies and slid fuel injectors into the slide bores. One of the Venture guys bought rights to that setup and has been doing some work in CAD (I think) to improve it for production. If you think it might help PM me and I'll connect you. Last I recall he was doing some work on it.

Make sure 2nd gear doesn't pop out under heavy load. No excessive gear whine from the rear or may sound like it's the middle gear. Other things should be more than obvious.

I'm not sure how I've missed seeing this old thread and I don't know how it turned out. I bought a Vmax, probably the one in this post, from Paul Traversa ... intending to run in Super Gas on the west coast. It was 1260cc with the figure 8 (?) bored carbs, raked front end, sheet metal seat, and small gas tank. I purchased it with street tires on it but no title. I mounted my Kosman wheel and slick on it and left a street tire on the front. Personal problems forced me to sell it and a stock Vmax to raise funds to help. I sold the bike to ex VMOA pres Jerry Ferguson. I believe the carbs were sold to someone in the Royal Oak area. This was in 2001 I believe.

Last edited:
I need to check a chassis I have at the shop. I seem to think I have a seat cover part (painted yellow) that resembles that one? I want to say the frame came out of California and has a custom front and rear wheel on it?

This is one of the body set parts that came with a rolling chassis. It looks VERY similar to your pictures! It also came with the yellow seat so not sure if you remember if that was something your dad had too? Do you have any old info on what the vin number was so we can check the frame? Picture added of the frame I have that came with it.

Attachments

• image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 14
  • image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20180419_174710.jpg
    IMG_20180419_174710.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back