top speed of your vmax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubious

Reaction score
I bought a 2002 with 7000 miles, in stock condition.
I live at 4000 ft.
I put a pipe on it and jet kit, kn filter with y's removed off box
Fresh plugs

The most I can get out of the bike is 220 km/hr. before or after mods.

It runs good to about 125 mph then accel reallly slows. for the last 10 mph to about 8500 rpm and 135 mph

Is this typical?

are there any trypical issue with these engine I should check or address?
I did compression test and all were 153-155 psi wet.

I have had trouble synching #4 carb,
I am wondering if the ignition coils/ wires can be problematic.
It seems to me that the ignition might be my issue with synching since the compression test was decent.

Do the floats or needles/ mains need to be set up different for any cylinders?

Thanks for any input

I dont know much about all the motor shit. But my max at sea level and to up just above 4000 ft pulls like a Cummings Diesel. With room it'll pull 145, possibly 150. torque all the through.
But ya its prob your carbs.

Back in 1990 I had my 90 vmax to 135 with my brotherinlaw on the back with me. Yes that was dumb and at night but I did it:bang head:

155 by the speedo was tops,pulls as hard at 125 as it does at 95,but.....mines a 1260 and EFI. and I think shell be runnin better this year.Ive worked out some "issues":biglaugh:

Danny max, Ill smoke that shinko now!:clapping::clapping:

I'm at 440ft. Mine pulls hard up to about 135, then creeps to 148 indicated.
I'm not a small bloke, so I'm thinking I'm hurting the aerodynamics. Once you get around the 130 mark on my bike its not a good feeling.

125 indicated then let off or run out of road. i think its just getting to the boost when i let off

I'm at 2800ft and I get mine up to 220km/h that's 136mph all the time and as far as I know my bike is bone stock.I went for ride with a bud of mine and he's riding a zrx1100(nice ride)And we were fooling around and got to 220 no problem even seemed like I still had some left.

thanks for responses. Mine is really stable, It wags a little from wind, but no chasis wobble. I have had my zx14 over 185 mph almost every ride, the speed doesn't scare me at all, as long as it behaves.

I will reinstall the Y and give it another try.

should all float bowls be set equal? on some bikes the frt cylinders need less fuel. I have equal length headers, and leaned it down a little fo my elevation.... hmmm

155 by the speedo was tops,pulls as hard at 125 as it does at 95,but.....mines a 1260 and EFI. and I think shell be runnin better this year.Ive worked out some "issues":biglaugh:

Danny max, Ill smoke that shinko now!:clapping::clapping:

Thats doesn't count, but I am interested in your build, particularly the EFI.

I want that baaaaad!

260kmh(what I was able to see at that speed) according to my Koso speedo, 1300cc, DJS7 and Venture pumpkin, whole bike highly lighteneed.
Sunny weather, almost no wind, mini fly screen instaled.

After hitting 230 its only slightly accelerating. 260kmh is at almost 9500rpm redline with venture pumpkin and 17' rear wheel with 190/50 tire.

Stock rear wheel with venture pumpkin will hit 274 at 9500 redline.

I can get mine up to 135 mph quickly any day, that's with a Hellfire windshield, top box, panniers and me (about 200lbs) sitting up, at sea level.

After that it's a slow creep and I usually run out of road. Motor is all stock, just K&N air filter and Jardines slip-ons, and I'm running a Venture pumpkin.

There is a lot of variables when it comes to speed/performance. Fuel octane, air fuel mixture, airflow, sparkplugs, rich/lean, ignition coil, tires, ect.. I have no dought this bike can do better without spending piles of money. Just the above can make a noticable differance. I have started to apply my car engine knowledge to my bike I will do more and keep the forum updated but remember an engine is an engine. I have been working on a ram air system forceing lots of air down this monsters throat I see UFO CYCLES has made one. I think the potential for this along with enough fuel delivery will increase HP a lot.
Sean could tell you more he seems to have a great grasp on these bikes. This forum has great people who have been there done that lots of knowledge here.

Last edited:
huh... at about a buck & 1/4, God starts ta tap me on the shoulder as well sayin' wtf:ummm: ??? I like the "it pulls like a deisel".:rofl_200: Handles like one too...:bang head:

Best I've seen is 138 on the speedo when I ran out of road. Didn't dare look down to check the revs, but I'm at about 800ft and have the Venture pumpkin.

Usually the death wobble starts creeping up before I get much past 120.

Had mine indicated 150 back when it was a lot newer, and I was a lot younger.

Ditto, ditto and ditto - also while riding double. The wife was a bit put out by it. Seems her hair tied in knots even though we only went that fast for a mile or so, including the accel and decel.

Mine will pull hard up to 130 or so, then it takes longer to build the additional 15 - 20 mph.

I was chasing down "Mitchell" in Topeka a couple of years ago (catching him I may add) and saw 140. 140 on mine is about 130 on the GPS though. Oh and I am a fat ass too and Mitchell a skinny bastard! He's a nice bastard though... lol

Mine was as solid as a rock but I do have Radials. Mitchell was all over the place. His was weaving pretty heavily.

Chris

Latest posts

Back