Oil level ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COP RUNNER

Reaction score
THIS HAS BEEN DRIVING ME CRAZY , WHEN I CHANGE MY OIL , I RUN MY BIKE UNTIL ITS HOT , I REMOVE THE DRAIN PLUG & THE FILTER & LET IT DRAIN FOR 24 HOURS , THEN I REINSTALL DRAIN PLUG & A NEW FILTER , SO HERES MY QUESTION ; THE SHOP MANUAL SAYS THAT THE BIKE NEEDS TO BE STRAIGHT UP & DOWN & IT HOLDS 3.6 QUARTS OF OIL & THE MAINTENANCE MANUAL SAYS THAT THE BIKE IS TO BE ON ITS CENTER STAND & IT HOLDS 4.02 QUARTS OF OIL , SO WHATS CORRECT ? .. :confused2: .. WITH IT ON THE CENTER STAND , I CANT EVEN GET 3.5 QUARTS IN IN BEFORE ITS OVER THE TOP LINE , BUT WITH IT ON THE GROUND & STRAIGHT UP & DOWN , I CAN GET JUST UNDER 4 QUARTS IN IT ! ... :confused2:

You'll never get every last drop out of the system, and capacity info never seems to be particularly accurate for that reason. Always fill going by the dipstick, or in this case the sight glass. After draining and putting the plug and new filter on, put the bike on the centerstand and add 3 quarts of oil. Start it up and let it run for a few seconds. Then add oil until the level is to the upper hash mark next to the sightglass.

24 hour drain? During the summer it's unlikely 24 hours pass that I'm not on the bike. I take the drain out, then in the time it takes to remove the old filter and put the new one on is how long it drains. Plug back in, re-fill, good to go. 10 minutes or less. I do that typically every 7-8000 miles, or when neutral starts getting tough to find from the clutch dragging a lot.

A good tip I heard from Dannymax is to put a couple powerful magnets on the oil filter. Last time I changed I cut the oil filter open and there was a big wad of sludge built up where the magnet was on the inside. Mine came from a hardware store, a pack of eight was like a dollar.

But, should it be on the centerstand or straight up & down? There's almost 1/2 a quart difference.

Only a guess, but I'm thinking straight up & down and fill as RA said....per the lines on the site glass.

But, should it be on the center stand or straight up & down? There's almost 1/2 a quart difference.

Only a guess, but I'm thinking straight up & down and fill as RA said....per the lines on the site glass.
YES BUT , IS THAT STRAIGHT UP & DOWN , ON OR OFF THE CENTER STAND ? .. :confused2:

I don't even have a centerstand. I fill it with the bike straight up. To the top line in the window, then the low oil light doesn't come on under hard acceleration. I don't worry with the amount of oil used to fill it, just that it's to the top mark...

Good Luck,
Dave

There is also another drain plug below the transmission, this should drain some more oil if you are willing to get rid of most of the old oil

timmy, mines the same. NEVER been able to get over 3.2 - 3.4 in there when it comes ot the top of the sight glas.

not sure but if on the center stand maybe the difference is when you tip the bike off the front wheel. maybe thats why tim :confused2: so reconfirm it on the ground up and down. cant go wrong with that and with no light coming on should be good to go.

Do mine on the center stand, get a lttle over 4 qts with the spin on adapter. Fill to top mark on the glass,leave a slight bit of day light.I belive Dan is right about Straight up though. Get the oil light on more now with the new clutch set up.
Steve--O

My bike is lowered about 2 inches in front so that throws the accuracy off with the window. I have always done it on the center stand. I use about 3.8 quarts. Some oil stays up in the cam chambers. There are three figures. Filling a dry engine. Changing the oil without the oil filter change and changing the oil with a filter change.
Dave #3505

my local yam dealer got in a huge fight over this and it ended up being 4 quarts. if its completely dry then its 4.6. but every "change" is 4 quarts

HERES WHAT I JUST DID , MY FRONT FORKS ARE LOWERED 1" , SO I PUT THE BIKE ON THE GROUND , LEVEL , WITH A 1" BLOCK UNDER THE FRONT WHEEL , WAS ABLE TO PUT IN 3.5 QUARTS + MY 4 OZ. BOTTLE OF ZDDP ADDITIVE & IT IS MAYBE 1/32" ABOVE THE " FULL LINE " , I'LL GO WITH THAT ! .. :punk:

Don't over fill if you can help it. The oil will just cause excessive windage and lost power without any real benefit. I usually keep the oil about 1/2 to 1/3rd down from the full line.

Sean

I can never get more than 3.5 quarts myself, I made the mistake of believing the manual on my first oil change, what a waste draining that high dollar oil back into the drain-pan!!:bang head:

I never really get that anal about it. I just put it on the center stand and dump oil in till its a bit under the top line. Whatever is left in the 1 gallon jug will work in the dirtbike or lawn tractor.

Last edited:
Back