#@!^ Wheel bearings

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfranklin

Reaction score
I got a new ME-880 back tire in Friday, took the wheel off to go get it mounted and checked the wheel bearings. Felt like they had gravel in them. *&#@%^ @&*#!! Had to take it to Yamaha and they cut it out with a dremel because it was seized in there. $85 later, and I still need new bearings pressed in.

So being the careful fellow I am, I pulled the front wheel just now to check those since I was already on blocks. They're stiff but very smooth. I don't remember them being tight, is that right or should I get these too? The bike spent some time outside, enough to fade the head paint and crinkle the fake chrome on the speedo... It has 21,000 miles.

thanks in advance!
Trav

there are some front wheel bearing kits on ebay (all balls) for like $20 with the seals. front is a lot easier than the rear. if the rear is garbage might as well do the front.

I did my front bearings it was very easy. On things like that I would favor genuine Yamaha parts from Sean Morley over any cheapos from fleaBay.

typically i'd agree with you but allballs is a pretty reputable company.

Can all the VMax's bearings be crossed over to something standard number wise? There's a bearing place here in town that I've used for 30+ years. They only deal in quality bearings. The stealers wants a fortune for everything so I try to bypass them if I can't make the part myself.

Yeah I bet they can, there's a Purvis Bearing here in town that is usually able to match bearings up. I was going to take mine there tomorrow and see. Usually 10-20% of Yamaha's cost and they're good bearings. The shop I worked in back in the 80s used them. I just didn't want to do the front if they didn't need it.

I know what you're saying, I don't like to pay for things needlessly. When it comes to something that could fail and kill me though... That's another story...

i know the rear ball bearing is a pretty normal ish size. i'd bet the fronts are too.

Back