Im trying to track down my fathers Drag V-MAX

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DentGuy

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

My fathers name was Gordon Wilkinson. He built a 85' or 86' VMAX as a drag bike. He was friends with Paul Civitello. They shared an article in Cycle Word back in the 80's , Pauls bike was referred to as the "MAD MAX" and my father's was the "MOD MAX".

The Bike was sold 22yrs ago in Ridgefield Connecticut after my Dad passed away. Im sure it has changed hands a few time over the years. My mother was trying to keep tabs on it but it slipped away.

If anyone has any info on what happened to my Dad's Vmax I would love to hear it. And if the current owner wants to sell it that would be pretty cool too. Please post any info here or Email me at [email protected]

Here is a picture of my Dad with the bike
SAM_0073.jpg

Thanks for looking, Bob

Last edited:
I passed on the information to them. Tomorrow, I'll bring it up when I call them.

you are the man. RESPECT. thats why i love this forum.

Bob i hope you find your fathers bike. i know you will love to have it and we all know you will treat it with respect. all my best wishes on finding it and if you do you will find all the help from the forum to what ever you need. for you it isn't just a bike.

Finding the bike may be very difficult but you can also start by seeing if you have any registration papers on it that will have the vin. You can maybe do a search with the state tag department and see what they can track down for you. Usually it's a public records search for a nominal fee.

Worst case you could try and replicate the build. I have a set of those Kosman wheels and who knows if it isn't from his bike! They came from up in that area from another guy. These are the only ones I have seen like them.

Sean

Finding the bike may be very difficult but you can also start by seeing if you have any registration papers on it that will have the vin. You can maybe do a search with the state tag department and see what they can track down for you. Usually it's a public records search for a nominal fee.

Worst case you could try and replicate the build. I have a set of those Kosman wheels and who knows if it isn't from his bike! They came from up in that area from another guy. These are the only ones I have seen like them.

Sean

I know its a long shot. yesterday was the 22nd anniversary of his death and it made me start to think. Ive been a gear head as long as I can remember and that bike was one of those things that always will remind me of him. If I cant find his bike I am definitely planning on doing a crazy Vmax. I just finished building a 1000whp Supra and my Mom is always saying how much I remind her of him. I guess I will just have to see what happens

They shared an article in Cycle Word back in the 80's , Pauls bike was referred to as the "MOD MAX" and my father's was the "MAD MAX".

I think you have it a little bit backwards. Paul's was Mad Max, It was so named by a track anouncer cause it would brake the tire loose and smoke down the track. Looks like your dad was Mod Max. But names aren't that important.

I was looking through some things and would like to pass this along to you.

modmax.jpg

Wow. I wish you all the best in tracking down your Dad's Drag Max. Like you I inherited the gear head gene from my dad.
I'm with whoever said above if you can't find his, build a replica.

founder of the vmoa? did i read that right? if true, some mad respect needs to be shown to the man who one would say really started a cult movement, got the aftermarket rolling. with that kind of status, finding more info on that bike shouldnt be tough. best of luck dude, thats gonna be epic if you can find that bike.

peace,
evan...

aka vmoa #5444

Great story, and I hope you have some luck finding the bike! So did your dad have success getting into the 9's?

Great Story! As noted I have those exact wheels he had on it. Your first picture shows he changed the front at some point from the stock 85/86 to the Kosman. I don't know how many sets Kosman made like these but these are the first ones I have had or seen so it could be entirely possible they came from his bike.

I recently coated the wheels black but they were polished when I got them. They could be put back to polished easily enough.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2805963678.144230.282702488678&type=1&theater

This is an awesome story. I'm definitely gonna follow this thread. Hoping for the outcome that I know we all want to see.

founder of the vmoa? did i read that right? if true, some mad respect needs to be shown to the man who one would say really started a cult movement, got the aftermarket rolling. with that kind of status, finding more info on that bike shouldnt be tough. best of luck dude, thats gonna be epic if you can find that bike.

peace,
evan...

aka vmoa #5444

It would be awesome if VMOA got interested in finding this bike and helping with the restore of it. Seems he was the founding father of the organization. I'm sure that would make DentGuy and family members very happy.

Latest posts

Back