ultimate gray vs yama bond

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry barker

Reaction score
Has anyone used silicon to seal up a case in lieu of the yama bond, or kawa bond, or motobond? I found the permatex ultimate gray gasket maker and plan to use it unless someone knows better. I can not get the other stuff until a motorcycle shop opens on Tuesday. But I really do not want to split the case later because i made a bad choice. Thanks,

Wow, that's asking alot from your fellow
Forum members! If you get a leak, who gets the credit? The builder or person who made the recommendation? I'm leaving this one alone but feel free to report back your experience!

I know, was hoping someone else had tried. Last night after 3 pale ales i was feeling cocky, now that I'm sober, I think i will wait for the right stuff. Thanks

I used standard gasket silicon on the rubber fittings where the pickup and stator wires go through the gen case with success. I do not recommend the use of gasket silicon in place of the standard gaskets, especially on the gen case, that may bind the starter cogs shafts...

I have actually used Permatex Ultra Black on many, many engine cases with great results. Never a leak. But, as was stated in an earlier post, if it is supposed to have a gasket you should use one. Mostly because of the clearance on the inside. Dont want any shafts butting against the case or covers and binding. That's an easy way to end up with a cracked case or worse. Don't ask me how I know that.

I have actually used Permatex Ultra Black on many, many engine cases with great results. Never a leak. But, as was stated in an earlier post, if it is supposed to have a gasket you should use one. Mostly because of the clearance on the inside. Dont want any shafts butting against the case or covers and binding. That's an easy way to end up with a cracked case or worse. Don't ask me how I know that.

Thanks guys, no gasket is used. I'm rebuilding a buddies 300 lakota 4 wheeler and forgot to buy the kawa bond yesterday to seal the cases together. (thought there was a gasket) One big draw back to Bismarck AR, it is hard to find special tools, all i can find is the RTV's. If you have used the black with good results, the gray is supposed to be better. Now I just might try the Ultra Gray.

Just had my Honda Element head redone and the tech used "HondaBond" which is a gray sealer too. I wonder why this stuff is gray? Maybe its all the same stuff!

I used ultra black with success on the kids pw when replacing the crank.

I used the threebond stuff on a harley motor to seal the jugs to the case. Works good. Its a little messy though

Hy,
everybody focus on the leaking issue,

There`s another issue that is verry important;
It is the drop of gasket maker that goes inside the crankase, those drop (in some case) can fall in oil and then going to clodge oil passage way, with dramatic result

I appologise i don`t remember those forbiden gasket maker make:bang head:
But knowing those issue can prevent money cost.

ciaow

Just had my Honda Element head redone and the tech used "HondaBond" which is a gray sealer too. I wonder why this stuff is gray? Maybe its all the same stuff!

It must be, yamabond is gray, permatex motoseal is gray. The stuff works good. Hate admit it but I use to have some, so long ago it dried up.

Hy,
everybody focus on the leaking issue,

There`s another issue that is verry important;
It is the drop of gasket maker that goes inside the crankase, those drop (in some case) can fall in oil and then going to clodge oil passage way, with dramatic result

I appologise i don`t remember those forbiden gasket maker make:bang head:
But knowing those issue can prevent money cost.

ciaow

good point, certainly do not want to slob the stuff on. This case has a lot of rectangular oil gallies barely an 1/8 thick that I need to paint around. High probability of getting to much of the wrong stuff on these areas. Looks like the engine will get put together Tuesday after all with Kawabond. That leaves time for a couple more Pale Ales.:clapping:

Threebond 1194= Yamabond 4

They are exactly the same, Threebond makes it for Yamaha and just sells it in a different tube at a higher price.

It's NOT the same as RTV silicone. Those cure, while threebond does not, it's a "semi drying". Smear it on, wait like a minute, then stick it together and go. I've had great results with it.

On the other hand, I've noticed the black RTV doesn't get along well with synthetic oils. It seals initially, but after a couple months the oil manages to penetrate through it and a slow leak starts.

What about permatex blue? It says stays flexible and resists pressure. I'm thinking about dabbing it around the wires from the stator. Or I can go return the blue and get the gray. Haven't opened it up yet.

I'd just stick with black because I don't want blue sticking out anywhere.

I used the Threebond 1194 when I replaced the oilpan on my M109R. It called for Suzuki bond. I'm guessing that Yama bond is the same, a semi-hardening non-silicone liquid gasket. It worked perfectly for me and has not leaked in well over a year since I did it.

Back