- Warp12's 1989 V-Max Adventure -

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warp12

Reaction score
For those who missed it, I had posted this introduction in the new members area. I decided to start a thread to detail my experiences with restoring, riding, and/or racing the bike.

Well, I just joined the site and figured it was a good time for an introduction. My name is Shane and I am soon to take delivery of a 1989 V-Max. I have other bikes, mostly modern sportbikes, which I ride on the street and race at the track regularly.

When I was in my teens, my dad and I had a lot of sportbikes. The first real sportbike he bought was a 1985 FJ1100. For it's day, that was a pretty awesome machine! Well, 1985 also saw the introduction of the Yamaha V-Max. Now, power-wise, this was the ZX-14R of it's day...putting down about 15 more hp (or so) than anything else on the road. Probably 20 more hp than say, a 900 Ninja (Kawasaki's flagship at the time)! Yes, it was heavy...but boy was it powerful!! So, cutting to the chase, it was my favorite bike at the time. I mean, I loved that bike. My dad bought one (actually two, but that is another story). A rip-snorting purple V-Max. It was an awesome site to behold. My dad and I shared a lot of great times back then. As I grew older, I saw the V-Max for what it was...heavy, a bit clunky, and not that powerful anymore (in comparison to the newest rockets). But I always had a soft spot for them.

About 10 years ago I purchased a worn-out 1989 V-Max from a coworker. It was in very bad shape. I toyed with the idea of restoring it and giving it to my dad, to perhaps relive some of the good times we shared. But the bike was just too rough, and my dad too ill to make that come to pass. A couple of years ago my dad died unexpectedly. We never got to take another bike ride...probably our last was in the early 1990's. Sometimes I get sad when I think about the good times we never got to relive. But, every year, I still find myself thinking about those V-Maxes.

I posted on Facebook about my soft spot for the V-Max. A FB contact messaged me and told me his dad had one. It was a 1989, with 2772 original miles. It had sat indoors mostly since 1996, never quite running right after some carburetor work. After about a week he sent me some pictures, and I have to say the bike was beautiful. But since it was in New Mexico the price would have to be right...after all, it is about $800 to ship it to me on the East Coast. He said he would get me a price and within a few days he contacted me. Lady luck shined upon me and the price was right! So, I quickly got a check in the mail, arranged shipping, had the bike picked up...and it is on it's way across the states to me now! Here are some pictures:

vmaxbuild01.jpg

vmaxbuild02.jpg

vmaxbuild03.jpg

vmaxbuild04.jpg

vmaxbuild05.jpg

In all of my 26 years of street riding I have never ridden a V-Max...just been a passenger on my dad's, way back when. I will soon be going through my old pictures, hoping to find some of my dad's 1985 V-Max...if I find them, I will post them in the forum. At the end of the day, I still miss my dad and I guess this is my way of reliving some of the good times we had. :thumbs up:

UPDATE: As of this morning, the bike has arrived from New Mexico! More details and pics to follow...

My dads new 1985 V-Max...notice the temporary plate.

Dadsvmax02%20001.jpg

Hard to believe it was 28 years ago....

Here's the same poster I had on my bedroom wall as a teen...still have it after all these years....

85vmaxposter.jpg

I guess we never really grow up... :)

The shipping company called me at 8:30 AM this morning and said that they were about an hour away. I had already taken the day off, knowing that the bike would be arriving sometime today. Not bad; it was picked up in NM last Friday evening and delivered to me, in Virginia, Thursday morning! I was anxious to see the condition of the bike, in person. In talking with Mike, I knew it would be very clean. Boy, is it! Mike had told me that his dad had the front seat recovered in a white color, and that the carbs had seen some rejetting work...but otherwise the bike was pretty close to showroom original.

Here it is as it came off of the truck:

vmaxbuild13.jpg

The guys who brought the bike helped me push it up the driveway, to my garage. That is a couple hundred feet, uphill...I tipped them generously. :biglaugh:

It wasn't long before I had the airbox cover and seat off, so I could investigate:

vmaxbuild06.jpg

It appears to have the full Stage 7 kit installed:

vmaxbuild07.jpg

vmaxbuild12.jpg

The carbs will need some work. Mike told me that it never quite ran right after being rejetted. Also, he told me that last summer when his dad tried to start it, it flooded. I am thinking the float needles are probably gummed up and stuck. It has been awhile since I messed with carbs, so there will be a learning curve, for sure. I happen to have a set of '95 carbs that I have kept indoors for the last 10 years; they may be perfect to run as-is...just to get it making noise. The V-boost is gone...I think I would like to have that back...at least for the street.

More pics:

vmaxbuild08.jpg

vmaxbuild09.jpg

vmaxbuild10.jpg

vmaxbuild11.jpg

Right now the battery is on charge. I verified that the starter turns over with no problem. Obviously I will need to change the oil and filter right off. But the fuel system is where it will likely need a lot of attention. A good front and/or rear seat are also on my list. I haven't decided which way to go on that yet. On one hand, I know I am not going to leave the bike stock...and I am going to take it to the drag strip some. On the other hand, I like to start with a stock bike as the baseline so that I can really experience and measure the changes that any mods bring to the table.

While the battery is charging, I started digging around for any parts that I might have. I have some stuff left over from that basket case that I parted out before.

I found a nice airbox with the lid, horn piece, and k&n filter. It also has the clamps:

vmaxbuild14.jpg

I also have some 1995 carbs. They have been inside for about 10 years. The slides move freely, and externally they look great:

vmaxbuild16.jpg

I also looked down into the gas tank, and it looks great! Just some minor surface corrosion...nothing major at all:

vmaxbuild15.jpg

There is very little gas in it.; maybe 1/2 of a gallon. I don't have a v-boost setup, and I didn't see any complete ones on Ebay. I will be looking for a complete setup, the whole works...so if anyone has a spare setup please pm me. Outside of that I want to make sure that the fuel pump works...not sure of an easy way to do that? I am also not sure if there is a fuel filter that I might want to check/replace?

I do have a service manual in .pdf form, and will be checking it. But any advice that you guys can offer, or pertinent links, would be great. Thanks!

Nice story as has been mentioned. Get the stage seven out of there and original airbox on. You'll unconstipate it and it will run fine (once the carbs are cleaned anyway).

Hi Shane,

Great looking bike.....I have a vboost valve assembly and controller on hand from a 2000 vmax with 7700 miles. All you would need is the motor and sensor otherwise.

Let me know if your interested.

Mike

While the battery is charging, I started digging around for any parts that I might have. I have some stuff left over from that basket case that I parted out before.

I found a nice airbox with the lid, horn piece, and k&n filter. It also has the clamps:

vmaxbuild14.jpg

I also have some 1995 carbs. They have been inside for about 10 years. The slides move freely, and externally they look great:

vmaxbuild16.jpg

I also looked down into the gas tank, and it looks great! Just some minor surface corrosion...nothing major at all:

vmaxbuild15.jpg

There is very little gas in it.; maybe 1/2 of a gallon. I don't have a v-boost setup, and I didn't see any complete ones on Ebay. I will be looking for a complete setup, the whole works...so if anyone has a spare setup please pm me. Outside of that I want to make sure that the fuel pump works...not sure of an easy way to do that? I am also not sure if there is a fuel filter that I might want to check/replace?

I do have a service manual in .pdf form, and will be checking it. But any advice that you guys can offer, or pertinent links, would be great. Thanks!

Hi Shane,

Great looking bike & so sorry to hear about the passing of your father.....I have a vboost valve assembly and controller on hand from a 2000 vmax with 7700 miles. All you would need is the motor and sensor otherwise.

Let me know if your interested.

Mike

I don't have a v-boost setup, and I didn't see any complete ones on Ebay. I will be looking for a complete setup, the whole works...so if anyone has a spare setup please pm me. Outside of that I want to make sure that the fuel pump works...not sure of an easy way to do that? I am also not sure if there is a fuel filter that I might want to check/replace?
Thanks!

Nice bike...The white touches are kinda cool...

Once running & ridden you'll have a better idea of what you got...

Excellent Story and that's a VERY Clean VMax.
It makes mine look really dirty. :rofl_200:

You can check that the previous owner was a careful dude as he has the front brake hoses going through some wire loops on the blinkers in order not to scrub on the triples or headlight... Also replace those tires as they should be all dried up...
Oh and i loved the story mate... Any help you need let me know...

Latest posts

Back