ABS for bikes, yes or no?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if ABS is more "intrusive" technology than you are comfortable with.......you definitely DO NOT want a new R1. LOL! :rofl_200:

2015 R1
Braking force for the linked brake system is based on input form the R1’s six-axis Intertial Measurement Unit (IMU), which consist of three gyro sensors that measure pitch, roll, and yaw, as well as three G-sensors that transmit data on forward/backward, left/right and up/down acceleration. “By constantly analyzing this data 125 times per second, the IMU is able to establish the R1’s position and behaviour – including lean angle, slide speed and pitching rate. Data is then sent via a CAN system (Controller Area Network) to the ECU that makes real time calculations and instantly adjusts the R1’s various electronic control systems in order to achieve optimum performance with high levels of controllability,” Yamaha says.

That, however, is just the tip of the R1’s electronic package; In addition to ABS and linked brakes, the 2014 R1 will come standard with a rear wheel Slide Control System (SCS), Traction Control System (TCS), Front Lift Control system (LIF), Launch Control System (LQS), Quick Shift System (QSS), and Yamaha Ride Control system (YRC), which offers four presets for quick and easy selection of all electronic controls through handlebar switches. “In the YRC, each of the control modes can be freely adjusted into new combinations based on user preferences and riding environment,” Yamaha says.

The majority of the aforementioned electronic rider aids are made possible by the six-axis IMU. The Traction Control System, for instance, takes bank angle into account when controlling rear wheel traction, then manipulates power output by adjusting throttle valve angle, fueling, and ignition timing accordingly. Similarly, the R1’s Slide Control System adjusts engine output via the ECU to limit sideways movement of the tire, which will theoretically help keep the tires in line.
The Yamaha’s Lift Control System keeps wheelies in check at the exit of a corner, whereas the Launch Control System enables more efficient starts by restricting engine rpm to just 10,000 rpm. All electronic rider aid settings are made via a rectangular Thin Film Transistor (TFT) liquid crystal display with bar-type tachometer, speedometer, and brake pressure display. A street mode (displays gear position, odometer, fuel figures, and more) or track mode (displays lap number, lap times, and tachometer which starts at 8000 rpm) are standard.

ABS is a great way to stop if you know how to trust them. But i can do without the up charge for what you get. I drive the roads alot 5 days a week and i can tell you i see more rolled over cars than ever before so i would like to see that money go to making cars roll over proof. I just bought a $41000 truck (WTF) and its not even the nice one. That would be about $8000 to $20000 more. I now have to DEF in my semi and now its more money to buy one Whats next. The price on everything you buy is more because semi trucks have abs and def. so you already have to pay more at the place's that you shop because of this and other stuff. Home's and car's and alot of other things are supper nice but it all come's with a price and from what i can see is its a beast out of control so what should we do. I dont think a change will come until it all come's apart so I say make sure you have a good plan for when it falls apart and enjoy your life to the fullest while you still can. So if abs brakes on a motorcyle brings you joy and i dont have to worry about you killing me for food when the bottom drops out i say go for it. As i said before i see people's action's 5 days a week and 90% are shit heads that dont have a clue or a plan B. You all drive with them and some of you could be them. So like i said if you have plan A B and C covered Go ahead and enjoy life to the fullest and buy the abs for your motorcycle because hands down if you trust abs it will stop you quicker. If you like to be a hooligan make sure it dont have traction control or if it has it make sure you can turn it off so you can show all of use your cool hooligan video's.

I have ABS and linked brakes on my 2013 Concours 14. I like having the ABS , but linked brakes sucks!! I think the operator should decide on what wheel needs to be slowed down.

I have ABS and linked brakes on my 2013 Concours 14. I like having the ABS , but linked brakes sucks!! I think the operator should decide on what wheel needs to be slowed down.

Fully agree.

never tried linked brakes, but I can imagine how you cannot control so well the way you drive an brake.

Maybe it s almost so bad as having now automatic gears on bikes...

Gotta jump in on this one.....my 2010 concours has abs, traction control and unfortunately linked brakes. For some reason they are too touchy at speeds say around 25-30 or so.....but you really don't notice it above those speeds. I hate the linked brakes but the other abs and traction control are not noticeable until it would be needed and I like that. I can turn off the traction control but not the linked brakes....the linked brakes has 2 settings but the least aggressive setting is still too much. Supposedly the new 2015 concours has an even less aggressive link??? No one knows for sure how it works.

Jim

Just a question, these linked systems, do they treat the front or rear as the "master" ? Assuming one always uses the rear, and the linkage adds front braking "when necessary" - wouldn`t want that, I can imagine all sorts of catastrophes... But a system that assumes you use the front principally, and adds a little rear just to keep the front from "diving" too much...could live with that, keeping the bike more or less level while breaking with the front is basically all I use the rear for?? And I`ve made a few emergency stops that way, bike stayed nice and upright underneath me...OK shoot me...

I think abs is good, but having not tried link brakes I would have to try that first to judge. I believe each MFG has their own vision/ version for linked brakes such as with Yamaha's Super Tenere. The ST has linked brakes if you apply the front brakes first but not when you apply the rear brake which then each wheel uses abs independently, a caveat to riding in the dirt it was reported when it was first introduced in 2012. Quite a few riders reported were won over by the ST's ABS but the harder core dirt riders did find a way to push a button to turn it off at will.
I think ABS will continue to win riders over and it will be for the good.

Linked Brakes:
My 2010 FJR 1300 has linked brakes as well...
When you use the front brake, only the front brake works (6 piston)
When you use the back brake, The back brake and Half the front (3 piston) works

Back