MPG / Range

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It varies a bit. When my light comes on it's one gallong left. I think the manual says .8 gallons remain when the low fuel light comes on.

You're right, it's a 4 gallon tank.

Yeah maleko, I think I read in the manual somewhere where it said that. And I remember repeating to myself Reserve is only about 3/4 of a gallon, so I would be able to calculate how far I can go on reserve.
I get 120 miles when reserve light comes on, and I always figure about 20 miles left on reserve. So far to date I have gone 19 miles on reserve and have yet to ever run completely out of gas.

So I took the Max out for a little 130 mile loop on the weekend. (Had the fenders off the bike while waiting for paint and wifee says "put it back together, we're goin' ridin'").

So we took the bike out. First 60+ miles of the trip took us up to 10,000ft, back down to like 8500 for another 10-15 miles, then back down to 6600. Speed was probably 65mph or lower (except for one spot where I mildly chased a sport bike in the twisties). Get back to the gas station and fill up, and I used 1.5 gallons to go 60 miles for around 40mpg.

On the trip home, we took another route, which puts us out on the freeway for 35 miles. Cruised about 30 miles at 65 and the other 35 miles at 75-85. Fill up at the station and discover that I only got around 30mpg.

Since this was my first jaunt on the freeway at 75-85, I noticed several things. 1, this bike runs really high RPMS at freeway speed. 2, bike seems to do fine at <65mph in terms of gas mileage but starts to really suck it down after 65.

So now I've seen 30mpg, 34-35mpg, and 40mpg. Looks like I am going to average around 34-35.

Curious I rode today till my fuel light started flashing at me.

86 miles
Took 3.1 gallons at the gas station.

Results

27.74 MPG
.9 Gallons of Reserve to run till empty.

2 weeks ago my wife and I went on a 120 mile ride (w/ my brother in law on his Harley) and we just cruised around on the highways.... I got over 40mpg.... I think it was 44, but I'm not positive. I've got Morley's carb kit on there and we probably averaged 60 to 65 MPH.... I'll take it!

Oh, one other thing... I also installed the Dyna 3000 and put it to curve #5
My idle increased by about 400rpm and that could have also helped with the mpg.

I haven't had it on the dyno yet, so I have no clue if I am lean or not.

Jeff

2 weeks ago my wife and I went on a 120 mile ride (w/ my brother in law on his Harley) and we just cruised around on the highways.... I got over 40mpg.... I think it was 44, but I'm not positive. I've got Morley's carb kit on there and we probably averaged 60 to 65 MPH.... I'll take it!

Oh, one other thing... I also installed the Dyna 3000 and put it to curve #5
My idle increased by about 400rpm and that could have also helped with the mpg.

I haven't had it on the dyno yet, so I have no clue if I am lean or not.

Jeff

Hell yeah! Two up and over 40mpg!!! I'd take that too!:eusa_dance: Wait... I will! June 22nd!:clapping:

Jeff/4gasem,

What do you guys get at 75-85? Does it drop as drastically as it does on my bike?

Jeff/4gasem,

What do you guys get at 75-85? Does it drop as drastically as it does on my bike?

I get over 100 on a tank before the light hit's now with stage 1. Mikuni 155 jets and needles spaced up one with K&N and Walkers full system.

I got 44 with two up and luggage for the weekend. That's going into the wind too. Engine was 1200 but with bigger cams, ported heads, and block decked .040. I did also have one of my overdrives in it. Of course that's with a kerker pipe and a custom baffle and one of my jet kits. We were averaging 75-85 mph but my rpm is a lot lower then most with the overdrive.

I am getting 35mpg on my 05 with mostly in town driving. Not sure what it's going to get on the highway. That's got the same kerker as the other bike (literally) and one of my jet kits again.

Typical for most with my kit is 38-42 some worse but close.

Sean Morley

I got 44 with two up and luggage for the weekend. That's going into the wind too. Engine was 1200 but with bigger cams, ported heads, and block decked .040. I did also have one of my overdrives in it. Of course that's with a kerker pipe and a custom baffle and one of my jet kits. We were averaging 75-85 mph but my rpm is a lot lower then most with the overdrive.

I am getting 35mpg on my 05 with mostly in town driving. Not sure what it's going to get on the highway. That's got the same kerker as the other bike (literally) and one of my jet kits again.

Typical for most with my kit is 38-42 some worse but close.

Sean Morley

I'm happy with 38-42... Hell 35 would be OK IF I get more HP...

I hope I get more power... If I have 120 plus with what I have I'll probably just leave it alone... I think we all know that isn't going to happen though...:rofl_200:

I just got back from a 114 mile ride.... well it was actually 3 rides that totalled 114 miles, but filled up with 2.9 gallons = 39.something

The last 30 miles were 80 to 100 mph and there were many other times I was well over 100mph, so with Morley's kit and the Dyna, I think I may be able to pay for both of those investments in gas alone.

I'm off to the drag strip!

Jeff

It?s a mathematical coincidence, but at the moment gas costs about $4 gallon here in N.H. and my V-Max gets right around 40 mpg. This means that the trip odometer happens to read in dollars and cents. In other words, if I ride 72.5 miles, I?ve spent $7.25. A real bummer when I just want to go for a ride.

Then I realized that the same holds true for my SUV. Except I have to double the trip odometer to get to dollars. :damn angry:

On the "plus" side, the stock seat has always sucked. But now when it starts to hurt my butt, I've already spend $12 and I'm heading home anyway. It will be interesting to see how much riding I do next summer with $6 gasoline.

just got 40 the other day same style of riding when i was getting 30 to 35..could be due to warmer weather

mpg on stock vmax

sure this has been discussed before, but I have never researched until now. guess Im curious since gas hit over $4 gal. anyway, 2005 stock vmax average mpg?

Re: mpg on stock vmax

sure this has been discussed before, but I have never researched until now. guess Im curious since gas hit over $4 gal. anyway, 2005 stock vmax average mpg?

Please make sure you search before posting... :biglaugh:

I merged with existing thread.

Chris

I know you said stock, but I got around 100 miles on a tank 50/50 highway and city use. And 130 on highway trips with the VBoost turned off. I had one of those silly switches that turned the boost on all the time, off all the time or normal. I had it always on or always off. I was never normal. :clapping:

Back