Bike suddenly won't start. Any checklist to follow to troubleshoot?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabit1

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry, I know this question might've been asked a lot. But searching this forum throws me everywhere.

I'm just looking for an easy troubleshooting checklist to follow for my 1992 Vmax. Just in case I miss something trivial. My bike used to be very easy to start. Just a little flick on the starter will start the bike. But last week, all of a sudden it just won't start anymore..

I've checked the battery and replaced the plugs but still no go. It cranks fine (once I even tested it with my car battery).

Thanks in advance.

Check your sidestand switch & the clutch switch for stickiness. Manually pull them out/push them in. Shoot em w/WD 40 or similar, & work them in & out. I bet it's one of them. Also don't forget about the kill switch. Do you have spark @ the plugs? Also see that the ignition box connectors are clean & tight, disconnect them to be sure.

+1 FM. I'm all for simple stuff first. Poor a little gas in each carb, like a teaspoon. Does it now fire up briefly? If so, the fuel delivery is the direction to go in.
Be careful.

Sdt354, if that were so, he wouldn't have fuel pump noise when he turns the key right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fuel pump cna clack normally without sending fuel. If the diaphragm is dislodged it won't pump properly but this should not be the issue.

Hi,

Sorry, I know this question might've been asked a lot. But searching this forum throws me everywhere.

I'm just looking for an easy troubleshooting checklist to follow for my 1992 Vmax. Just in case I miss something trivial. My bike used to be very easy to start. Just a little flick on the starter will start the bike. But last week, all of a sudden it just won't start anymore..

I've checked the battery and replaced the plugs but still no go. It cranks fine (once I even tested it with my car battery).

Thanks in advance.

Usually gas or spark-drain a little gas to see if you have any in the bowls and pull the plugs out of the head but still plugged to the spark plug wire and rest it against the head to see if there is a spark.

Thanks guys.. The fuel pump seems to work. It makes a fuel pump sound when I turn on ignition. Checking the sparks with a new plug, it does seem a little weak from my untrained eyes. The sparks are not bright blue sparks. I have also replaced all 4 plugs. and upon checking them, they do seem to be a little wet with gasoline (not excessively). Not sure about sidestand / clutch switch. ??? Thanks guys..

*EDIT*: After investigating further, helped by a mechanic friend, turns out the problem is the fuel pump. Although it was making the clicking sound and the plugs seemed to be 'wet'. Thanks again guys.

Last edited:
Not wanting to start another thread, figured I would post here.

A few weeks ago I rode the Max to work. Started like normal rode fine all the way to work. Pulled in to the hanger and parked it. Lunch time rolled around went to hop on it to go to one of the 4 places open at 2am and it did nothing. Work as been busy and I have not been able to fully devote time to work on it. However over the last few weeks I have been able to do things here and there. Here is a list of things I have done.

1. Side stand relay works. I can hear it click when I move the lever up and down.
2. I assume neutral switch is good because the light is on when put in neutral. (Correct me if I am worng)
3. Clutch switch works also as I can hear the relay clicking.
4. I am assuming the kill switch is fine also because the fuel will cut off if I just turn the key and has been sitting a couple days and I can also here a click when I rock the switch
5. I am also assuming the start switch is fine as well based on the observation that the headlight goes out and lights on the instrument panel dim a bit when pressed. Everything returns back after I release the switch
6. I have changed the starter relay. Unless it is bad from stock or I did not wire it correctly still nothing.

When this first happened I was afraid the motor locked up because I went to try and leave work that morning and it would not roll with it in gear to pop the clutch. With clutch pulled it rolled. When you release to put it in gear it just stopped and felt like it was locked. So the next day I pulled the side cover to manually turn motor and it does move freely. So thankfully it is not locked up. I guess this motor is just high compression. I did not have a new gasket so I temp installed the side cover. So it has not been filled back up with oil. Does the the oil switch play in to the start logic?

I can't figure it out. I really wanted to go for a ride down to Richmond or Nicholasville for some BBQ from my favorite place for Labor Day. But it doesn't look like that will happen. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The fuel pump cna clack normally without sending fuel. If the diaphragm is dislodged it won't pump properly but this should not be the issue.

+1 Fuel pump clicking doesn't guarantee fuel....it will cycle for 4 or 5 seconds and automatically shut off. The pump must be cycled until it will no longer click (turn the key off and back on) to insure the bowls are full.

Completely empty bowls almost always require 2 full pump cycles and a couple seconds into the 3rd cycle to fill.....if the pump continues cycling thru the 3rd cycle something is wrong. (could be the pump, leaks, stuck float or needle.....etc.)

A few weeks ago I rode the Max to work. Started like normal rode fine all the way to work. Pulled in to the hanger and parked it. Lunch time rolled around went to hop on it to go to one of the 4 places open at 2am and it did nothing. Work as been busy and I have not been able to fully devote time to work on it. However over the last few weeks I have been able to do things here and there. Here is a list of things I have done.

6. I have changed the starter relay. Unless it is bad from stock or I did not wire it correctly still nothing.

Behind the battery there is a blue and white striped wire going to a bullet connector. Put the bike in neutral (because it will move if in gear), then ground the end of the bullet connector. You'll have to use a piece of wire or small tool to fit into the female connector. If the relay is good and wired right, it will engage the stater. Assuming the starter is ok. Either way you'll here the relay click. This by passes the side stand, clutch, kill switch, everything.

Behind the battery there is a blue and white striped wire going to a bullet connector. Put the bike in neutral (because it will move if in gear), then ground the end of the bullet connector. You'll have to use a piece of wire or small tool to fit into the female connector. If the relay is good and wired right, it will engage the stater. Assuming the starter is ok. Either way you'll here the relay click. This by passes the side stand, clutch, kill switch, everything.

I want to do this with the end coming off the relay, correct? Does anyone have any trick to getting the starter off with out having to take that one coolant line off?

I always had to pull the coolant line when I took my starter off.

Sorry, maybe I messed it in your previous posts..
Did you pull a spark plug and test to see if you're getting spark?
Plug wire on plug and grounded to the engine?

Sorry, maybe I messed it in your previous posts..
Did you pull a spark plug and test to see if you're getting spark?
Plug wire on plug and grounded to the engine?

Bike doesn't turn at all. Hit the start button nothing happens except headlight goes out and intrument light dim. Release start switch and headlight comes back on. Just got back to work tonight so I will try ground the wire from the starter relay and see what it does.

Bike doesn't turn at all. Hit the start button nothing happens except headlight goes out and instrument light dim. Release start switch and headlight comes back on.
Put the bike in neutral (because it will move if in gear)
As long as the engine itself it not seized, and all the normal safety switches that would cause a non-start condition has been verified as working, then I would look into the starter clutch and starter motor.
A not so simple test (because of draining the oil), would be to go behind the stator cover to temporarily remove the gear that connects the starter motor to the rest of the engine. Make sure its not damaged.. Give the start button a push to see if the starter motor spins. Check the condition of the clutch while you're in there.

Latest posts

Back