Talk me into / out of it!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westportrich

Reaction score
Hi gang, I joined the forum today. I've been thinking about buying a (new) VMAX and I figured I'd come ask the "experts" (VMAX owners). So that you can talk me into (or out of) buying one. To put it in context, I think You should understand who I am and how I ride: I currently own a Honda CB1100, I like to ride 50-100 miles on secondary roads in good weather. I'm typically cruising at 35-60mph. I'm not a hooligan in any way. Please be as specific as possible. So, what do think??? Thanks in advance guys.

Not trying to discourage you, but you probably will be happier with your current ride instead of a new VMax. How big are you? The new Generation II bike is probably best suited for someone 6' or taller, and not a wispy willow guy. Now I'm sure lots of people who don't match that demographic will comment and say, "I am 5'8" and with a lowering kit, I control mine just fine!"

Have you tried to sit on one at the dealer? It's a lot of bike to keep upright if you aren't strong and big-enough to easily handle it.

Your CB1100 by reports I've seen should be a real easy ride, smooth power, no great 'hit' in the powerband, and easy to maneuver. Plus, for guys of a certain age, (that would be me) it reminds us of the Hondas from the 1969 CB750-K0 on-up, when Honda pulled the bike industry into modern times.

If you don't have much experience with big, heavy, fast bikes, I wouldn't recommend the Gen II. Your CB1100 is less weight (554 lbs) than a Gen I VMax. The Gen II is 686 lbs.

I've been riding my v max since March of this year and with some getting used too it has became very comfy for me. Granted I had zero street bike experience before, except for dual sports, so i dont really have anything to compare to and I haven't taken it on long trips yet. But from my experience if you like getting to tripple digits quick when the road allows the v max is a great bike for you. I don't get crazy in the curves so I can't speak for what it's capable of there.
If you have any uncertanties be sure and test ride.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

The way I read the original post, he wants a new VMax, which would be a Gen II. Since the newest Gen I is now 10 years old, that's a long time in bike development, especially since the bike was designed in the early 1980's.

As I am fond of mentioning, Henry Ford made Model T's for a shorter period than Yamaha did the Generation I VMax.

Hi gang, I joined the forum today. I've been thinking about buying a (new) VMAX and I figured I'd come ask the "experts" (VMAX owners). So that you can talk me into (or out of) buying one. To put it in context, I think You should understand who I am and how I ride: I currently own a Honda CB1100, I like to ride 50-100 miles on secondary roads in good weather. I'm typically cruising at 35-60mph. I'm not a hooligan in any way. Please be as specific as possible. So, what do think??? Thanks in advance guys.

If you had just a little bit of Hooligan in you.....then I would say buy one you won't regret it.

But, the Gen 2 is all about the wrist twist. People that like acceleration can't get enough of this bike....there is nothing else like it!

It also handles, stops and brakes extremely well, and loses any heavy feeling once you're above 10 MPH.

But..... if you're not the type that is tempted to "break the law" once in a while then this bike's real potential would never be realized and you would most likely be disappointed in it.

That's my most honest opinion.

yma5964vmax.jpg

The way I read the original post, he wants a new VMax, which would be a Gen II. Since the newest Gen I is now 10 years old, that's a long time in bike development, especially since the bike was designed in the early 1980's.

As I am fond of mentioning, Henry Ford made Model T's for a shorter period than Yamaha did the Generation I VMax.
Ahh, good point. Let the record show I have a 1st gen v max. Two actually. Couldn't tell you hardly anything about the gen two max.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

The Gen I is a lot of bike and will satisfy most riders that have not had a couple of fast bikes.The Gen II is an all out street racer and is beyond fast.It doesn't sound like you are that type of guy.I also don't understand why anyone would buy a new Vmax today.There have not been any major updates that you would get over buying a new Vmax compared to used.Finding a low mileage Gen I or Gen II is NP and you will save at least 30-50% if you are patient and wait for the right deal.It's a buyers market right now.Buying used will also save you a lot of money if you decide it is not the bike for you.It's also not a long distance cruiser IMO.Good luck.

not trying to discourage you, but you probably will be happier with your current ride instead of a new vmax. How big are you? The new generation ii bike is probably best suited for someone 6' or taller, and not a wispy willow guy. Now i'm sure lots of people who don't match that demographic will comment and say, "i am 5'8" and with a lowering kit, i control mine just fine!"

have you tried to sit on one at the dealer? It's a lot of bike to keep upright if you aren't strong and big-enough to easily handle it.

Your cb1100 by reports i've seen should be a real easy ride, smooth power, no great 'hit' in the powerband, and easy to maneuver. Plus, for guys of a certain age, (that would be me) it reminds us of the hondas from the 1969 cb750-k0 on-up, when honda pulled the bike industry into modern times.

If you don't have much experience with big, heavy, fast bikes, i wouldn't recommend the gen ii. Your cb1100 is less weight (554 lbs) than a gen i vmax. The gen ii is 686 lbs.

++++++++++++++++ 1

I agree with every reply that you received in this thread, the VMAX is a cruiser but it's a muscle bike also, the typical VMAX rider enjoys the speed of the VMAX. If you're only planning to go up to 100 miles an hour I'm not sure the VMAX would be the bike for you. I have a 2015 VMAX I took it out last Friday before the weekend and I was riding around and his car was putting around in front of me, so the minute I had a passing lane I cranked on the throttle I went around him and before I knew what I was doing 107 mph and that's just passing somebody without even trying to go fast. I slowed down to about 65 and about a half mile up the road there was a highway patrolman sitting on the side of the road so I was lucky that day. Earlier that day I went out to to the country where all the back roads are nice and straight up here where I live, I drove down this long straight road scouting it the whole way and it was a perfect patch of asphalt. On my way back I went through the gears meaning to go fast and when I hit 153 miles per hour I let off. I had plenty road left in the bike had plenty of power left but I felt I went fast enough.

I bought some GoPros a while back and I'm going to start videoing my rides, so if you keep posted here you'll probably end up seeing the video of what the Gen2 VMAX can do. Even my Gen 1's were fast I think the fastest I had ever been on the GEN 1 was one 45 mph.

I'm not bragging here I'm just trying to show you what the bike is capable of and most VMAX riders enjoy that power and the speed. I think that's why you're getting so many posts suggesting that you probably should save your money and not go into the VMAX. But in the end it's your money and if you want to buy VMAX just be prepared for what they are, do some research, talk to people in this forum, most the people commented prior to me know the bikes very well, I've had eight VMAX's since 1985 which was my first one, so I'm a big fan and I would tell anyone to get one but at the same time you gotta be able to handle it and want to ride a very powerful bike.

Hope that helped a little

Last edited:

I say go for it!!

You only live once, AND you live in CT like me.

Don't listen to any of us here we are all biased.

Get a test ride of one and then decide if it is the bike for you.

Don't listen to any of us here we are all biased.

Get a test ride of one and then decide if it is the bike for you.

I tend to agree with most everybody who's reply to your post, we are all biased and we all love the VMAX. But prior to buying my first VMAX in 1985 I own the 1983 Honda V 65 magna which I thought was a very fast bike in those days it was. When I upgraded to the 1985 VMAX it was more powerful, faster but since I had the magna I was used to the speed I just had to get used to the VMAX as far as the handling.

In my earlier post I was trying to explain that everyone here loves the VMAX and many of the people know the VMAX inside and out, I've owned a lot of them but I tend to be a rider more than a mechanic, I do small work on my bike but anything major it's above my head.

Like I said in the original post that I replied to in the end it's your money and you have to decide what you want to do people here for the most part again tell you to buy VMAX because were all biased, this post that I just quoted is saying exactly that. So you have to keep in mind that asking people in a VMAX forum if you should buy one nine out of 10 times the answer is going to be yes.

I agree 100% with Bill, if you don't ever buy one and try it you'll regret it, the reason I say that is because you obviously have an interest in it and are considering buying one. So even though on bias if you're looking for a new bike and you're interested in the VMAX, I say go with it. Just do your homework so you know what you're buying and how the bike will perform.

Buy a used Gen 2 and enjoy it the way you want to you only live once ..

I agree with this mentality. Motorcycles are so very individual that I would find it hard to say in or out but a few surface streets and a blast down the highway should clear it up. I would also say try out a gen1 if you can.

If you can say after a ride that you MUST have one then find the best deal you can on one. As mentioned a cared for one with a couple years on it for thousands less is essentially the same as a full boat retail one. Dont bother with wife/gf permission, life is short, ride what you love.:punk:

I daily ride my 250 dual sport most days, but even though my V Max is an over the road/ fair weather bike I can't imagine not having it. V Max was always one of my "dream" bikes since I first saw them. People say "never meet your heroes" but I have never been disappointed in my Max since the day I got mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back