No Spark

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osiris

Reaction score
I replaced the starter clutch and rotor/ flywheel due to some damage. The bike ran fine before I started the swap. Just had grinding starts sometimes. I put it all back together and now I have no Spark to the plugs. Coils are good I have power where it is needed, just no spark. Somthing with the parts I may have installed? It turns over fine just no fire. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Sounds like your coil pick-up wires, (orange and black wires leading into the stator cover from under the seat), are not connected or Or reversed polarity. You might want to check the resistance of the replacement rotor also, to make sure it falls within spec.

Thanks for the reply. Resistance on pick-up coil wires are within spec. How would I test the rotor? I did not notice anything in the manual for that

Not just the resistance needs to be checked, but the polarity is important also.. (Found that one out for myself when I had to replace my coil pick-up).

I didn't know that is was polarized.

I picked up a replacement from regulatorectifier.com, but the new pickup wires did not match the color of the stock wiring, so I had to guess at it.. It would turn over fine, but I got no spark on any plug. I then decided, what the hell,, and swap the contacts. She started right up.

I don't have my manual right now, but I remember seeing in there how to test the stator.

Not just the resistance needs to be checked, but the polarity is important also.. (Found that one out for myself when I had to replace my coil pick-up).

I didn't know that is was polarized.

I picked up a replacement from regulatorectifier.com, but the new pickup wires did not match the color of the stock wiring, so I had to guess at it.. It would turn over fine, but I got no spark on any plug. I then decided, what the hell,, and swap the contacts. She started right up.

I don't have my manual right now, but I remember seeing in there how to test the stator.
So I decided to put my old rotor back with new starter clutch. Put it back together and instantly started. I'm not sure if a rotor can go bad but the one I tried to replace it with did not work. My bike is a 96 and replacement rotor a 94 supposedly. Anyways. thanks for help and suggestions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Did you use the right rotor? The 85-89 have two long pickup protrusions. The 90-07 have many smaller ones.

:eusa_dance::biglaugh::biglaugh: Great that you got it working.:biglaugh::biglaugh::eusa_dance:

Latest posts

Back