Synthetic vs Dino Oil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may be "better", but 133,000 miles with no engine failures or repairs, running nothing but regular Dino oil tells me that there's nothing wrong with conventional oil.

It may be "better", but 133,000 miles with no engine failures or repairs, running nothing but regular Dino oil tells me that there's nothing wrong with conventional oil.

That's true.....and your Max is a testament to that!

Let me stir the pot a bit. I've read that using synthetic oil after using dino oil can make seals leak. Any truth to this?

Synthetic Oil made ALL of my bikes starter clutches F-up. '84 XJ750RL and the '06 Vmax
Dino for me thanks

Same here my 85 starter clutch went bad when i switched to synthetic after running dino switched back right away

i
AMSOIL SYNTHETIC IN MY 2006 , 10,000 + miles on it now , TURN KEY ALWAYS , NO ISSUES !

Let me stir the pot a bit. I've read that using synthetic oil after using dino oil can make seals leak. Any truth to this?

I cant say for certain (or experience), but I will keep the myth alive by saying that I went to get an oil change for my new- to me- 98 F150. I read that synthetic was way to go for high mileage (130K) vehicles. The resident "expert" (guy behind the window @ oil chg place) said that If I went to synthetic, "the seals could start to leak", and recommended "hi Mi" dino instead. So I believed him, as I had also heard rumor of that. :confused2:

So... I don't know is the correct answer. :ummm:

T$

I've been using Rotella T 15/40 for years now in both bikes, and wouldn't change.. I have used Travellers version of Rotella on occasion, with equally good results. 2,000 mile changes, new filter each time. Max is over 133,000 and the Roadstar is sneaking up on 77,000.

I've been using Rotella T 15/40 for years now in both bikes, and wouldn't change.. I have used Travellers version of Rotella on occasion, with equally good results. 2,000 mile changes, new filter each time. Max is over 133,000 and the Roadstar is sneaking up on 77,000.

i
WOW , THATS AWESOME MILES ON THOSE BIKES !
That's a lot of riding !

I've been using Rotella T 15/40 for years now in both bikes....

+15/40...

One of the 1st things i did to the max when I 1st got her was change to rotella 15/40 (solely based in what ive read here) and nothing but positivity from the switch. Keep in mind, i have NO idea what the prev owner ran.

But shell rotella for me.

T $

I bought my bike with 12 k on the clock. The previous owner used Mobil 1 oil. Nothing,including oil changes to Dino, could stop the clutch from slipping except new fibers and a change to 15w-40. It sounds like there is some success with other brands though. If Cop Runner's clutch doesn't slip, that's a testament to Amsoil for sure.

Begun using, way way back, Yamalube 20w50. Good luck finding that now though.
That is EXCELLENT high mileage on you max! I recently purchased a 2013 Royal Star Venture. Been chatting it up with other owners I meet on the street. They too, IF they perform maintenance on their own, use Dino oils. Some of these owners have HUGE mileage on the Ventures.
This V-4 WONDER engine Yamaha produces solid it seems.
Now if ONLY we could solve the darn Carb Quagmire.

Latest posts

Back