Vmax Battery replacement 101

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Absorbed glass mat battery-hwere to get it.

Sears makes a AGM in the larger battery design I use. You have to modify the box for the larger battery (pics are on a link in here somewhere). BUT, it's going to be a huge cranking power increase.

Sean

Sears makes a AGM in the larger battery design I use. You have to modify the box for the larger battery (pics are on a link in here somewhere). BUT, it's going to be a huge cranking power increase.

Sean

Is that the 18l-A3 battery? or what is the larger battery that will fit?

I can see where I could go thicker by cutting the airbox but not taller becuase of the Dynatek coils I stuffed on top of the battery.

Is the larger battery taller, thicker, or both?

Thanks,

Rusty

Time for a new battery.

Has /does anyone know who has the best price on an oddyessy battery?

I looked on thier website and I'm not sure they show an application for the Vmax; does anyone know which one fits?

also, I would really prefer the spiral wound optima batteries because of the larger plate surface area, but I "think" they don't make them for motorcycles. Am I correct in this or do I need to dig deeper?

Any input would be greatly appreciatted.

Thanks,

Rusty

I use the Panasonic battery like 4gasem uses. you can find more info on it here
http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/battery.htm

I bought mine 2 weeks ago and for $49 +$5 shipping at www.apexbattery.com

It's got more CCA than factory and a little higher mAh also. It also doesn't require any modification to the factory battery box.

-Thad

Sean,

I quit being lazy and did a search and found the old post of yours, good post by the way,

It looks like heigth isn't a problem, just width.
When you cut the battery box it looks like the part you retained faces the engine; is that correct?

I think I'm definitely going with an AGM, gonna see if they have the larger size.

Thanks,

Rusty

Sears for sure has the bigger one and I'm sure that the other brands do too. It's the strongest you are going to get period and much stronger then even the stock sized AGM!

yes, cut off the side facing the fuel tank and then notch the base so you can have a flat area for your relocated bolt holes. The battery is almost exactly .750 inches wider and exact same other dimensions.

Sean Morley

Sears for sure has the bigger one and I'm sure that the other brands do too. It's the strongest you are going to get period and much stronger then even the stock sized AGM!

yes, cut off the side facing the fuel tank and then notch the base so you can have a flat area for your relocated bolt holes. The battery is almost exactly .750 inches wider and exact same other dimensions.

Sean Morley

Sorry to be a pain in the ass; but is the battery your running a larger size flooded cell (wet or whatever you wanna call it) or a larger size AGM?
I think you said AGM. the AGM I'm looking at over there is the 18L-BS

Thanks again,

Rusty

Last I knew he was running flooded cell although you can get an AGM battery...just pricier obviously.

Mark

yes, correct Mark. I use the regular lead acid batteries and they run around $65. They also offer the AGM battery in that large size too which is what he wants. I can't recall the price but it's pretty pricey.

Sean

I bought an oddyssey pc680 off ebay from qualitypower1, you can call them also. its been a year but i think i paid 109.99 they had the best price around.
i did not have to modify anything to make it fit.

yes, but imagine if you had and got another 40% more cranking power then even the pc680!

Here is what I used, way better than stock !

The batt on the left is 18A/260CCA versus the 16A/120CCA removed

Attachments

• IMG_1539 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1539 (Small).JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
So no problems with bike keeping it charged ? I have been wondering if there was a bigger cranking amp battery that would fit . Thanks for the info ,
Jason:punk:

Here is what I used, way better than stock !

The batt on the left is 18A/260CCA versus the 16A/120CCA removed

For a direct fit that is a good increase. The factory battery is rated higher then 120cca's though. More like 190cca.

If you had got the equivalent AGM in the larger size I posted on how to install you would have got another 40% increase in power!

Sean Morley

Yeah I know that there are better units "out there", but I do not have many to choose from around here.

I also did the ground cable fix, better wire both to the engine and the frame, and cleaned the paint of the housing where the ground cable bolts to the engine. Think that I don't have to worry any more about the gugh...gugh t.t.t.t.t.t.t sound coming from my Max again when fired up. :thumbs up:

I ended up ordering the PC680MJ from AllPak in Kansas; I didn't feel like cutting the battery box and moving it out towards the engine.

I think I might save that spot for some N2O/Fuel solenoids sometime in the future....maybe?

Rusty

Re: Vmax Battery replacement

I have detailed pics of a larger battery installed if anyone wants them. Considerably more cranking power than the other batteries (even the gell and no maintenance type).

Plus cheaper and available at your local sears.

Sean Morley
can you tell me how to take the seat off?

Re: Vmax Battery replacement

can you tell me how to take the seat off?

Assuming that you have a stock seat, flip the middle seat section up (open), just as you would if you a filling it up with gas.

There's 2 plastic tabs of the front seat section on each side of seat, each has a bolt - remove both of them, next remove the 2 larger bolts where the center seat section pivots on (each side has a spring) - Pull the seat back and up and it's off!

:cheers: Mike

Need a Battery

Hit me with some suggestions/links. No modifications to the bike would be helpful. Thanks in advance!!!!

J........:punk:

Re: Need a Battery

Hit me with some suggestions/links. No modifications to the bike would be helpful. Thanks in advance!!!!

J........:punk:

Remember to do a search on the subject before posting... This is a sticky on batteries.

I have the Panasonic and have had great luck with it.:eusa_dance:

I Reckon I'm lookin fur a Batry

I think my battery is on it's way out. I remember seeing a post recently about options and now I can't find it. I think there was a fairly cheap Panasonic available and people were ranting and raving about it. Doess anyone have a link to this? Or can you just post the information?

Thanks

Travis

Latest posts

Back